QB Mac Jones favorite to win Heisman Trophy

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mac Jones has beat out Trevor Lawrence to win the Heisman.

Mac Jones, Alabama

Mac Jones' best attribute might be his arm -- specifically his deep-ball accuracy -- but pretty high on the list is his calm and patience in the pocket. He's rarely rattled and that serves him well before the snap and after he has the ball in his hands.

Quarterback_Mac_Jones_girlfriend_Sophie_Scott.jpg

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Didn't tim tebow win a heisman?

Could be the greatest college QB to ever. And that's coming from a FSU fan so that's hard for me to say but he was pretty damn amazing in college.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Could be the greatest college QB to ever. And that's coming from a FSU fan so that's hard for me to say but he was pretty damn amazing in college.

Well, my point was kinda that the heisman don't mean shit.

More busts win the heisman than actual NFL players.

Just a reminder that reggie bush and troy smith were the two highest heisman winning %'s in history before joe burrow last year, and they did great in the pro's.

Lawrence is going to be a god in the nfl. Mac Jones is going to be on someones practice squad in a couple years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Just a reminder that reggie bush and troy smith were the two highest heisman winning %'s in history before joe burrow last year, and they did great in the pro's.

Lawrence is going to be a god in the nfl. Mac Jones is going to be on someones practice squad in a couple years.

I like Mac Jones damn it. Now i don't like to play couch GM like many on here do but I do like the kid. I like Z.Wilson more though.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Fools gold!

Kid does not have an NFL arm, is stuck in cement (no mobility) and throws the ball to first round draft picks at WR.

Will put up guady numbers in college but that is the extent of his game - he is a “college” QB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Fools gold!

Kid does not have an NFL arm, is stuck in cement (no mobility) and throws the ball to first round draft picks at WR.

Will put up guady numbers in college but that is the extent of his game - he is a “college” QB.

Yeah, I'm certainly not sold on him. He reminds me of Sam Bradford, and I was just not a fan of his coming out in the draft way back when. I think his frame is too thin to take consistent hits in the pocket. Needs a strong OL to keep guys off of him, because he's also not super mobile, though he does move well inside the pocket. He also doesn't really look 6-3 like he's listed. I'd guess he's slightly under 6-2. Now that isn't terrible height wise, and he's probably similar height/weight to Zach Wilson, but Wilson has a little more bulk, and we've seen that he can take hits as he got sacked a bunch of times in previous years and has taken hits outside of the pocket. Jones' deep ball looks great in college because he's throwing to 1st rounders across the board, but they often have to wait for the ball.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
FWIW: Mac Jones

Chicago Bears 2021 draft look at Mac Jones
Strengths:
  • Accuracy is fairly consistent. Tends to put the ball in the right spots for his receivers to make a play.
  • Footwork and pocket navigation are both solid. Does a good job sliding away from pressure and keeping his eyes down the field.
  • Eyes show an ability to work fast. Processes what he sees and gets the ball out with enough quickness.
  • Release doesn’t have a lot of wasted motion. Ball comes up and out. Also has the ability to change his throwing platform.
  • Good decision-maker. Rarely puts the ball in harm’s way and willing to throw it away when nothing is there.
  • Field vision is a plus. Willing to scan the field and tends to find the open man more often than not.
  • Can throw with timing and anticipation. Not just a see-it-throw-it guy. He’ll throw to a spot where receivers will be rather than where they are.
  • Understands pro-style concepts. Has worked under center with his back to the defense several times.
Weaknesses:
  • Arm strength could best be called average. Doesn’t deliver the ball with much zip most of the time.
  • The deep ball is serviceable enough for college but is going to be dangerous living in the NFL due to how long it tends to hang in the air.
  • Isn’t much of a runner. Can do a little scrambling but isn’t a guy who is going to take off for first downs a lot.
  • Size will be a discussion. Listed at 6’2 but appears closer to 6’1 and is also a bit on the thinner side at 214 lbs.
  • Surrounded by a bevy of great weapons so how much of the success is him and how much is the arsenal?
Pro comparison: Chad Pennington
Pennington was a solid starter in the NFL for a long time, having success with the New York Jets. He did this by being smart and accurate with the football. However, the biggest knock on him that never truly went away was his arm strength. It was a constant source of criticism since he wasn’t able to unlock the full potential of an offense given his lack of prowess at attacking defenses deep.

Projection: 4th round
Jones is a smart player with enough talent to be a functional NFL start. However, he’ll need a great situation around him in order for those traits to shine. He makes good decisions, is accurate, and can run almost any type of offense efficiently. The lacking athleticism and arm strength though will put a cap on what a lot of teams feel he can do. That is why he will likely end up going on Day 3 of the draft.

Complete text: https://www.sportsmockery.com/2020/10/chicago-bears-2021-draft-scouting-report-alabama-qb-mac-jones/

Arm strength seems to be a concern.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just a
FWIW: Mac Jones

Chicago Bears 2021 draft look at Mac Jones
Strengths:
  • Accuracy is fairly consistent. Tends to put the ball in the right spots for his receivers to make a play.
  • Footwork and pocket navigation are both solid. Does a good job sliding away from pressure and keeping his eyes down the field.
  • Eyes show an ability to work fast. Processes what he sees and gets the ball out with enough quickness.
  • Release doesn’t have a lot of wasted motion. Ball comes up and out. Also has the ability to change his throwing platform.
  • Good decision-maker. Rarely puts the ball in harm’s way and willing to throw it away when nothing is there.
  • Field vision is a plus. Willing to scan the field and tends to find the open man more often than not.
  • Can throw with timing and anticipation. Not just a see-it-throw-it guy. He’ll throw to a spot where receivers will be rather than where they are.
  • Understands pro-style concepts. Has worked under center with his back to the defense several times.
Weaknesses:
  • Arm strength could best be called average. Doesn’t deliver the ball with much zip most of the time.
  • The deep ball is serviceable enough for college but is going to be dangerous living in the NFL due to how long it tends to hang in the air.
  • Isn’t much of a runner. Can do a little scrambling but isn’t a guy who is going to take off for first downs a lot.
  • Size will be a discussion. Listed at 6’2 but appears closer to 6’1 and is also a bit on the thinner side at 214 lbs.
  • Surrounded by a bevy of great weapons so how much of the success is him and how much is the arsenal?
Pro comparison: Chad Pennington
Pennington was a solid starter in the NFL for a long time, having success with the New York Jets. He did this by being smart and accurate with the football. However, the biggest knock on him that never truly went away was his arm strength. It was a constant source of criticism since he wasn’t able to unlock the full potential of an offense given his lack of prowess at attacking defenses deep.

Projection: 4th round
Jones is a smart player with enough talent to be a functional NFL start. However, he’ll need a great situation around him in order for those traits to shine. He makes good decisions, is accurate, and can run almost any type of offense efficiently. The lacking athleticism and arm strength though will put a cap on what a lot of teams feel he can do. That is why he will likely end up going on Day 3 of the draft.

Complete text: https://www.sportsmockery.com/2020/10/chicago-bears-2021-draft-scouting-report-alabama-qb-mac-jones/

Arm strength seems to be a concern.

lol. reading that entire description and the weaknesses first thing i thought was "sounds like pennington". Then bam, comparison is spot on.

I heavily doubt he will be anything more than a backup, but who knows, there are plenty of surprises every year in the draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He also sounds like nick foles lite.

I'm good.

For me, in this draft, either trade up for Fields by trading this years and next years first(if he drops out of the top 5, which looks doubtful) or take Wilson with your first round pick.

My guess is wilson is still gonna be there when we pick, which is looking like it will be in the 16-20 range.

That, or take the best tackle available and grab newman in the 2nd round. He should still be there, and I think he has much more upside than mac jones. He also fits this scheme(if we keep nagy) much better than jones.

Really, the major scheme fit and home run would be for wilson to drop to our pick and pace not to fuck that one up. I don't care about the competition, a perfect throw is a perfect throw, and that kid has been throwing dimes to tight coverage all season. That looks special to me.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Mac Jones gonna go from Richest talent to poorest.

seen this before.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah i just came here to say heisman means shit

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
New Bleacher report mock draft has Bears taking Mac Jones at #18 with T.Lawrence, J.Fields, T.Lance, K.Trask and Z.Wilson all getting drafted before we pick.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
New Bleacher report mock draft has Bears taking Mac Jones at #18 with T.Lawrence, J.Fields, T.Lance, K.Trask and Z.Wilson all getting drafted before we pick.

So the knocks against Jones include his arm strength while that mock talks about how he has the arm strength to reach all levels of the field? WTF.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Always suspect of Bama QB's. They play with such good WRs, RBs and OLs, its kind of hard to gauge how they would play with a more evenly distributed talent level.

Unathletic with weak arm talent, that's an uphill battle.

If you don't have that athletic ability to help avoid the pass rush, you just have to be so much better at everything else.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So the knocks against Jones include his arm strength while that mock talks about how he has the arm strength to reach all levels of the field? WTF.

Is that what they're really saying about him that he doesn't have good arm strength? One of his biggest things is how great/accurate he is with his deep balls so that's kinda odd to not have good arm strength but great with his deep ball accuracy. Hmmmmmm.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Everyone on here is acting like Pace actually gives a shit about finding a QB....Remember when he took over and said that he was going to fix the position even if it meant that we needed to draft one every year......

Pace has taken a shot on exactly 1 QB in the draft....1, and they have not even tried to take a developmental guy since then.

Sorry, but as long as it is Pace at the helm, QB is going to be an issue, because he does not know what a good QB looks like (remember he wanted Mariota), he won't take a chance on a developmental guy, and he refuses to address the most important weapon a QB can have, protection!!!

If we went OL in rounds 1 and 2 and picked up a developmental QB in the third, like this kid from Alabama or hopefully someone with a better arm, then I would be impressed, but that is not his MO......

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is a lot to like about Mac Jones.

The 4 guys ahead of him in most ratings are just way more physically talented.