Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is there an NFL job that polices the salary cap?
Who really checks?

Has a team ever gone and stayed over the salary cap?
Are there penalties?

Seems like a team could just say "uhh yeah, yup, sure we are under the cap now, thanks for checkin!"

It seems like something very easy manipulated.

Do teams have to mail in copies of the contracts to the NFL headquarters?

Someone help me out here.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there an NFL job that polices the salary cap?
Who really checks?

Has a team ever gone and stayed over the salary cap?
Are there penalties?

Seems like a team could just say "uhh yeah, yup, sure we are under the cap now, thanks for checkin!"

It seems like something very easy manipulated.

Do teams have to mail in copies of the contracts to the NFL headquarters?

Someone help me out here.

This is exactly why we know how much each player makes and their contract amounts. They have to be fully transparent and yes the NFL makes sure they are under the cap.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This is a legit question.

Dak Prescott just signed a 6 yr deal where years 5 and 6 he will make zero dollars, essentially making it a four year deal.

It just seems that teams fuck the cap every yearno matter how much they are over. It always seems to work.

But has a team ever just went into the year way over. What would happen?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This is exactly why we know how much each player makes and their contract amounts. They have to be fully transparent and yes the NFL makes sure they are under the cap.

But the contracts always change. Macks money just got converted to a signing bonus. The actual dollars never seem to matter.

And the contracts aren't public. tell me every players contract on the Bears for this upcoming season or direct me to the site that has it. I'll bet ya cant.Because it's always evolving and they only put out high value popular player contracts.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a legit question.

Legit answer:

The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

NFL Salary Cap - FAQ

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Legit answer:

The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

NFL Salary Cap - FAQ

NFL headquarters is filled with a bunch of nerd accountants

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL headquarters is filled with a bunch of nerd accountants

The endless shifting of numbers is either an accountant's wet dream or worst nightmare, but I am not a big enough nerd to tell you which it is with certainty.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Years ago Denver went over the salary cap and just expected nobody to notice. Somebody did notice and they got fined draft picks. In this age of social media where people are constantly vigilant for this type of thing I'd think there's really zero chance of getting away with it.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The endless shifting of numbers is either an accountant's wet dream or worst nightmare, but I am not a big enough nerd to tell you which it is with certainty.

My degree is in accounting.

I'm not hard...

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Years ago Denver went over the salary cap and just expected nobody to notice. Somebody did notice and they got fined draft picks. In this age of social media where people are constantly vigilant for this type of thing I'd think there's really zero chance of getting away with it.

If i owned a team, I'd be that team.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Oh I bet there is an entire team of people getting PAID to keep all that chit in order.