Rick Renteria Is The New Cubs Manager

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a good signing and let's hope he brings in a good coaching staff. Chris Bosio is back on a 2-year contract.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Don't know anything about this guy other than he has no experience like our previous managers. And look how that went.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a fan at all, to be honest. Dave Martinez would have been a better hire based on what Theo was looking for. Dave was around a great clubhouse the past few years and understands what it takes to win, being in Tampa with Joe Maddon. Renteria may be a respected guy, but the Padres haven't done anything the past several years while Rick was there. Time will tell, I guess. Hopefully Renteria proves me wrong.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
As many of the Chicago writers have written he just here for the next 2 yrs to lose with prospects and When/IF they start getting better team in 2016 he be gone for a bigger name manager

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As many of the Chicago writers have written he just here for the next 2 yrs to lose with prospects and When/IF they start getting better team in 2016 he be gone for a bigger name manager

maybe.. but what if they had hired joe girardi ? dont thing that the plan would be just to lose for a couple years while they break in the kids and then bounce him..

i think yes, he a hire to help coach the prospects coming in but i have to believe their going to start filling in some core pieces now to start winning games..
he signed a 3 yr deal, which makes sense cause epstein deal is up in 3 yrs, but would have to think if renteria does a good enough job with the kids and they win games, he would be considered getting a new contract.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe.. but what if they had hired joe girardi ? dont thing that the plan would be just to lose for a couple years while they break in the kids and then bounce him..

i think yes, he a hire to help coach the prospects coming in but i have to believe their going to start filling in some core pieces now to start winning games..
he signed a 3 yr deal, which makes sense cause epstein deal is up in 3 yrs, but would have to think if renteria does a good enough job with the kids and they win games, he would be considered getting a new contract.

If They would have gotten Joe i think they would have spent some money this offseason and tried to quicken the process. Now that they got a rookie manager again they will keep on the same time table and in 2 yrs they will try for big manager again

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If They would have gotten Joe i think they would have spent some money this offseason and tried to quicken the process. Now that they got a rookie manager again they will keep on the same time table and in 2 yrs they will try for big manager again

i guess they mightve added an extra piece or two to expedite the core group..

i saw renteria contract was for 3 yrs with 2 option years... were the opton years for year 2 and 3 or 4 and 5 ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see it as the right move at the time. To be honest they wanted a daddy figure for Castro and the rest of the Latinos to develop under. Dave seemed more of a saber head. I believe they wanted more of a father figure to get the boys shaped up.

Seriously it did seem like a persona thing. Dale was clueless and just looked dumb in his media time. Think they want Ricky the Teddybear running things cause they will respond to him out of respect.

Having no previous major league experience means nothing. It is about getting respect from his players. Theo's job is to get him talent

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
He'll over-see another 2 years of 100-loss seasons before getting fired. I'm disgusted with Theo Epstein for delivering the Death Sentence to the Chicago Cubs franchise. You can build a farm system and also sign competent players at the same time. Theo chose not to do it. By 2015 our payroll could be $55M -- nearly a $100M less than it was in '08.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The majority of the influence of the manager is things we will never see or hear about. I think Renteria is poised to get a lot of kudos this year if Rizzo and Castro rebound and guys that come up next season don't flop.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's a good signing and let's hope he brings in a good coaching staff. Chris Bosio is back on a 2-year contract.
Bosio did a nice job, imho. So Renteria has a good pitching coach on staff. I look at this new hire as a comfort hire for hoyerstein. I hope he's sucessful, but if these two could ever hire someone from an organization either one didn't come from I'd crap my pants.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Bosio did a nice job, imho. So Renteria has a good pitching coach on staff. I look at this new hire as a comfort hire for hoyerstein. I hope he's sucessful, but if these two could ever hire someone from an organization either one didn't come from I'd crap my pants.

I though it was just me who felt this way.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he will do fine. Cant wait until FA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Question is if Mueller a good hitting coach. Doesn't look like he has a track record at it. Another Padre Spec. Ast.
No 1st base coach either. Not too concerned.

I would want a infamous base stealer that could help runner with the first step. OF would be a plus. Someone like Coleman.