WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DB

CB: Johnson, Vildor, Graham, Trufant, Shelley, Burns

S: Jackson, Gipson, DHC, Bush

At safety I do not see any changes, even with Lucas and Christian being back. Both Bush and DHC have sub package roles on defense and special teams spots. I think the Bears will only keep 4 safeties so that can have more CBs available for if things go sideways with that group.

At CB this is a numbers game. They lack quality and they need quantity and two of those options to step up around Johnson. I think Vildor will get the first chance at CB2, he had some nice moments last season and gained experience, also Trufant has been brutal for a couple of seasons. I think Graham will probably get the nod at NB, Shelley was better than Skrine last season, but hardly a positive on the defense. Graham is viewed by most as a draft value and someone who was projected on the inside for the pros. Burns they seemed to like last season, but that 6th CB could easily be Michael Joseph or someone off the street.

Short Term: They are super thin at CB, but I feel fine about their safety play.
Long Term: The only safety under contract is Eddie Jackson and they could need to draft or sign a CB2 if Vildor flops. This could be one of the positions we are focusing on in 2022.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't see Trufant making the 53.
I debated leaving him off, but he is the only guy with significant experience in a room full of young guys, I think that has some value.

He also may be physically shot.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I debated leaving him off, but he is the only guy with significant experience in a room full of young guys, I think that has some value.

He also may be physically shot.
Yeah perhaps through camp/pre season? His play has fallen off a cliff.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We definitely need the young guys to step up at CB. Hopefully Tre Roberson or Artie Burns will show something on the outside in camp. I'm a little more hopefully for Graham at nickel.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
IMHO this group needs the pass rush to be lights out this year. There's a chance someone rises to the occasion, but truthfully you need your DL making the QB uncomfortable before your corners do.

I'd add, it's been a really long time since you guys have been without a solid corner in the offseason. You sorta transitioned from Peanut to Fuller. Fuller went through some learning bumps, but overall there was still significant draft capital invested.

This group is lacking talent. That doesn't mean they can't impress or exceed expectations, just that I think of what Fuller would do routinely and strongly feel that level of play will be lacking.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are clearly throwing bodies at CB2 and hoping.

I think we can survive with a weaker CB2, but god help us if Johnson gets hurt.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah perhaps through camp/pre season? His play has fallen off a cliff.
I don't think he's as bad as people are making him out to be. He isn't no Kyle Fuller but i think we can get by with him starting as long as the pass rush does their job. His issue has been staying healthy more than it's been his play the last couple of years.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Defense gonna need an influx of young talent at every level after this season

Hicks & Trevathan gonna need to be replaced. We need two more CBs to start next to Johnson.

We need a SS to play next to Jackson.

Not to mention we need somebody to rush the passer next to Mack because Quinn is a bum. Also, Mack will be on the wrong side of 30 after this season.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Going to have to find another FA vet when some cuts are made. We have major CB issues even if we are healthy.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the pass rush hits home, they will be fine. If there is no pass rush, they are fucked

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears better hope Rodgers leaves the division or retires. He's going to have a field day against these guys

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If a decent veteran could be cut after June 1st, that would be ideal.

I agree with whoever said above we need to hit the defense with a bunch of young talent and prepare to replace some dudes.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I think Jaylon Johnson is going to struggle if expected to be CB1. He got burnt a few times last year and this year will be facing better competition.

Don't get me wrong, I like him but he is being put in a tough situation

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You can definitely tell the folks who have done their homework by where they stack the players in these individual position groups.

Not to take a shot, because I like them, but Hoge and Jahns have already penciled in Trufant as the starting corner opposite JJ, and I just don't buy that. Makes me think they just saw the name and went on mental autopilot instead of analyzing.

But I suppose anything is possible, with them being so thin at CB.