Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
I take that back.. sometimes I'll take whey protein if I don't meet my protein requirements for the day with food.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good luck. On average a person burns roughly 300 calories an hour doing moderate cardiovascular exercise. So if you want to run for 5 or 6 hours everyday.. knock yourself out.

Too many goals. You either want to burn fat, or gain muscle. You won't be cut without mass.

I run on treadmil with incline most times and I run on performance setting - 2.5 miles and about 350 calories burned.

So how do I lose whats left of the "beer gut"? I have a bad back so crunches are hard without reinjuring it. Don't I have to lose the fat before I can build the muscle?

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you?

Start here

www.google.com

You ran in HS and don't know what Cross Training is? Ride a bike. Swim. Hop on an elliptical. Do something none contact. Do core work/yoga.

There are tons of different type of cross training.

More than likely you're not getting anything out of the running. 2 miles isn't that much. 1500 calories seems in general WAY too low. Rosetta could tell you better than I.

Frankly, I'd find a licensed trainer and nutritionist and meet with them discuss your goals etc and have them form the plan.

All my stuff is distance running centric since that's what I do.

I grew up in a town of 1100 people in farm country in central Illinois - BEFORE the internet so sorry I'm not up on everything. Our coaches didn't train us - they just let us run. I probably could have knoced 30 seconds off my time of 5:17 mile time!

I've heard if you want to weigh 180 you should eat 1800 calories - any truth to that?

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I take that back.. sometimes I'll take whey protein if I don't meet my protein requirements for the day with food.

Thanks Rosetta. That's about all I take - usually before and after running to boost my caloric intake. I also take a multi vitamin, magnesium (for the onset of osteoarthritis) and plenty of fish oil daily. I guess I need to start adding instead of subtracting then.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I run on treadmil with incline most times and I run on performance setting - 2.5 miles and about 350 calories burned.

So how do I lose whats left of the "beer gut"? I have a bad back so crunches are hard without reinjuring it. Don't I have to lose the fat before I can build the muscle?

I grew up in a town of 1100 people in farm country in central Illinois - BEFORE the internet so sorry I'm not up on everything. Our coaches didn't train us - they just let us run. I probably could have knoced 30 seconds off my time of 5:17 mile time!

I've heard if you want to weigh 180 you should eat 1800 calories - any truth to that?

1. Peoria/Bloomington area?

2. I'm around 2200 a day on average and I weight between 180-185 pounds depending on when my latest shit was.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Maybe I'm dense, but what is actually meant by 'toxins' in the body?

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:

I just told you how figure up your calorie needs. It's a good estimate.. don't lose or gain more than about 1lb a week. You may have to mess around with your intake but give it a month or so.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:

Those machines are highly inaccurate, and the distance you run doesn't have much to do with calories burned.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those machines are highly inaccurate, and the distance you run doesn't have much to do with calories burned.

I know it's not about distance - I figured it is more about the incline I run at (usually from 0-10% grade) to go with the distance.

RosettaStoned said:
I just told you how figure up your calorie needs. It's a good estimate.. don't lose or gain more than about 1lb a week. You may have to mess around with your intake but give it a month or so.

Yep, I missed that why I was typing something else. It's desired body weight x 15.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm dense, but what is actually meant by 'toxins' in the body?

Food toxins can cause a variety of health problems such as continuous weight gain, unexplained diseases, cancer, and premature death. As natural and fresh as the foods you see at the store, most of them contain harmful chemicals and substances that are bad for humans.

I don't want to scare you too bad since you've probably been eating all of these foods your whole life, but these chemicals are in such minute amounts that their affects aren't usually noticed for many years. But over time of continuous consumption of toxic foods and beverages, your body becomes overwhelmed by trace toxins and will defend itself the best it can.

Since the body is rejecting these poisons, it must get rid of them. When the body can't get rid of the toxins right away (either because they are too abundant or because they get stuck to cells throughout the body), it stores them in fat cells so it can get rid of them later. Unfortunately, this leads to unhealthy weight gain and allows carcinogens to affect certain areas of the body where they cause cancer.

You must understand where these food toxins come from and why you need to stop poisoning yourself, avoiding these toxins in order to achieve perfect body health. You won't be able to avoid them all, but you can greatly minimize the amounts of bad foods you consume so you can maintain your health through regular nutritional cleansing.

I will start with food toxins in meats because I am a big meat fan myself. I grew up in Montana and I ate meat pretty much every day. The only difference between then and now is that the meat back then was either raised naturally in the wild or on farms or fished right out of the streams on the property. There were no harmful chemicals used to raise these animals and I didn't have to worry too much about what I was putting into my body. But since I left Montana, I've been eating meat that has been packaged for mass distribution to the supermarkets that had been mass raised but the industrial companies that own a majority of the market of mass raised animals.

Bacon, steaks, poultry, and other industrially raised meats and fish can contain PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which are produced when foods are cooked at high temperatures), Dioxins (which are by-products of industrial processes such as bleaching, commonly regarded as highly toxic compounds and can cause liver damage, alterations in heme metabolism, serum lipid levels, thyroid functions, as well as diabetes and immunological effects in adults).

Associated cooking applications and products such as frying pans, grilling, and high temperature cooking can produce by-product chemicals such as PCBs (Polychlorinated biphenyls is widely used for many applications, especially as dielectric fluids in transformers, capacitors, chlorine gas, and coolants), PFOAs (Perfluorooctanoic acid or C8 found in many cleansers and is carcinogenic), and PFAs (Perfluoroalkoxy is found in many plastics and resins such as non-stick coating on frying pans which if heated above 662 degrees F evolves several fluorocarbon gases which can cause flu-like symptoms).

Some of these man-made chemicals are used by industrial farmers to help animals remain healthy and grow faster while mass raised. Of course, these chemicals are absorbed into the meats of the animals and cannot be washed out during the butchering process. When you eat these meats as a consumer, those chemicals are still present within the meats and they are absorbed into your body through your digestive system process.

Many of the fruits and vegetables you find in your local supermarkets are grown in industrial agricultural environments and contain food toxins. These industrial farmers have to pump out their products as often as they can in order to make money, so in order to keep up with demand, they must use pesticides, herbicides, and many time genetically modified seeds to help meet the demand with as many end user products as possible.

Pesticides are used to prevent, destroy, and repel pests that eat the crops. They may be in the form of chemical substances, biological agents (such as a virus or bacterium), antimicrobial, disinfectant, or other devices that kill or fend off pests. These pests include insects, plant pathogens, weeds, birds, mammals, fish, roundworms, and microbes that can destroy the plants, spread disease or cause other nuisances. An unfortunate drawback to this is that they have potential toxicity to humans and other animals. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, pesticides may cause acute and delayed health effects in those who are exposed.

Herbicides are a subcategory of pesticide commonly known as a weed killer. They kill targeted weeds that may migrate into the fields and leave the crop relatively unharmed. According to 'Herbicides and Cancer' from the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, herbicides have widely variable toxicity. In addition to acute toxicity from high exposures, there is concern of possible carcinogenicity as well as other long-term problems such as contributing to Parkinson's disease. Herbicides are also often contaminated with dioxins which can increase the risk of cancer.

Food toxins like pesticides and herbicides are essentially absorbed into the plants while they grow. When the produce is shipped out to the supermarkets, they are washed and packaged and put on the shelf for you to purchase. When you bring these foods home, you wash them again, but unfortunately the food toxins are deep within the cells of the fruit and vegetables and do not go away. You eat them and the toxins are absorbed into your body where they can begin deteriorating your health.

Genetically modified foods are those that have specific changes made to their DNA to make them immune to certain pesticides and herbicides. Most of the corn (86 percent), Hawaiian papaya (80 percent), canola (93 percent), sugar beet (95 percent), cotton (93 percent) and soy (93 percent) supplies in America come from genetically modified seeds. The company Monsanto is the largest contributor to this GM epidemic. This unfortunately is hurting the smaller farmers who are attempting to maintain naturally grown crops (organic crops). When small farmers are found to have genetically modified seeds in their crops without Monsanto's permission, they are sued for patent infringement and most times lost the battle because they don't have enough money to fight the battle.

If you eat pretty much any processed or canned foods, you are eating genetically altered ingredients, or ingredients that have been grown using pesticides and herbicides. This may be why obesity, illness, and cancer statistics have been dramatically rising over the past thirty years. The great thing about this is that the Food and Drug Administration doesn't require any specific tests on GM foods.

Moving on with other food toxins, many packaged pre-made meals such as frozen pizzas and frozen dinners contain buylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).

BHAs are a waxy solid used as a food additive or preservative. It is also commonly used in medicines and cosmetics. It is primarily used on fatty foods to prevent them from becoming rancid and developing odors. The US National Institutes of Health reported that BHA is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. California has even listed it as a carcinogen.

BHTs are essentially the same thing as BHAs. However, the developer of the Feingold diet, Benjamin Feingold, claimed BHT could produce hyperactivity in some children and cause cancer. BHTs are rapidly being replaced by BHAs due to their harmful effects.

More food toxins to be aware of are artificial sweeteners, phosphoric acid, and caffeine, which are all found in soda and can be found in other sugar free products. Phosphoric acid are syrupy liquids linked to lower bone density in epidemiological studies from magnesium and calcium binding in the digestive tract to form salts that are not absorbed. Caffeine is linked to low bone density and is a diuretic which can contribute greatly to dehydration.

Another one of the harmful food toxins in food containers is Bisphenol A (BPA) is used to make plastics and resins commonly found in baby bottles, water bottles, and inside most beverage cans.In 2007, a 38 expert consensus concluded that average levels of BPA in humans are above those that cause harm to many animals in laboratory experiments and that BPA levels in serum and other body fluids suggests that either BPA intake is much higher than accounted for. Though high dosages of BPA are rare, low level exposure throughout the day can cause an increased absorption and accumulation of BPA in the blood. Studies in animals indicated a variety of deleterious effects in rodent offspring exposed in the womb: abnormal weight gain, insulin resistance, prostate cancer, and excessive mammary gland development though there is negligible concern that it will cause birth defects in pregnant women. A 2008 review ("Putative environmental-endocrine disruptors and obesity: a review") has concluded that obesity may be increased as a function of BPA exposure, which "merits concern among scientists and public health officials".

Find out what's on your food as far as pesticide toxins are concerned. Food toxins are so prevalent in today's society that it is near impossible to avoid them. My advice is to consume whole or organic foods and minimize the intake of foods that are in cans, sealed packages, or plastic bottles. It will be impossible to cut out all food toxins, however, minimizing them will help considerably.
http://www.perfect-body-health.com/food-toxins.html

Last edited:

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I went to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm to look at my BMR and calculate how many calories I need to burn at a 2 pounds per week clip (one pound of fat equals 3,500 calories - so that's 7,000 per week to "lose" somewhere between exercise and diet). I want to lose another 16 pounds to get to 180 pounds then maintain. I am 41 years old, 5' 10", and currently weigh 196 punds.

I need to make sure I am calculating this correctly:

• Figured my BMR to be 1848 daily calories. (this is my maintaining caloric intake)

• Figured my daily energy requirement to be 2218 (based on "Light activity and exercise, plus daily work" level)

• To lose 2 pounds a week, I need to adjust my daily calorie intake by 1000??? (example: 500 spent in exercise and 500 from diet).

So I to assume that I can take the 500 calories off my daily energy reqirements to make it 1718 calories and lose another through exercising??

Is that correct? Someone chime in if I missed something.

Again, I got this from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The best thing to do if you want to have lean muscle and not be all body builder which would slow down basically everything else is yoga or something similar.

What I personally do is run either a 3 or 5 mile route every other day.
I do yoga once a week at a gym that teaches it.
I use bike/elliptical at that gym the days I don't run.
I also stretch every night which helps to release the toxins and keep from being sore and do a great 5 minute ab workout that's super easy to do.

And then you have to eat healthy of course. Make sure to get all vitamins, protein, and whatever else via the food you eat or some type of supplement. I personally only use a protein supplement if I have to and nothing else.

But I'm not really that educated on this stuff yet. This is just basically stuff I have learned from the years that I've spent trying to stay in high school athlete shape.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The best thing to do if you want to have lean muscle and not be all body builder which would slow down basically everything else is yoga or something similar.

What I personally do is run either a 3 or 5 mile route every other day.
I do yoga once a week at a gym that teaches it.
I use bike/elliptical at that gym the days I don't run.
I also stretch every night which helps to release the toxins and keep from being sore and do a great 5 minute ab workout that's super easy to do.

And then you have to eat healthy of course. Make sure to get all vitamins, protein, and whatever else via the food you eat or some type of supplement. I personally only use a protein supplement if I have to and nothing else.

But I'm not really that educated on this stuff yet. This is just basically stuff I have learned from the years that I've spent trying to stay in high school athlete shape.

All of that plus what kind of diet?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All of that plus what kind of diet?

I'm blessed with a high metabolism so I don't have to worry a ton about diet.

I just eat healthy. Usually cereal and yogurt for breakfast, salad with some type of meat in it for lunch along with more yogurt, and dinner is usually a toss up. Can't really help there.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
So I went to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm to look at my BMR and calculate how many calories I need to burn at a 2 pounds per week clip (one pound of fat equals 3,500 calories - so that's 7,000 per week to "lose" somewhere between exercise and diet). I want to lose another 16 pounds to get to 180 pounds then maintain. I am 41 years old, 5' 10", and currently weigh 196 punds.

I need to make sure I am calculating this correctly:

• Figured my BMR to be 1848 daily calories. (this is my maintaining caloric intake)

• Figured my daily energy requirement to be 2218 (based on "Light activity and exercise, plus daily work" level)

• To lose 2 pounds a week, I need to adjust my daily calorie intake by 1000??? (example: 500 spent in exercise and 500 from diet).

So I to assume that I can take the 500 calories off my daily energy reqirements to make it 1718 calories and lose another through exercising??

Is that correct? Someone chime in if I missed something.

Again, I got this from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm

I'm a long time member at bodybuilding.com... their articles are complete shit. If you want to really learn something read this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Status
Not open for further replies.