Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
The best thing to do if you want to have lean muscle and not be all body builder which would slow down basically everything else is yoga or something similar.

No, no no no no no no no.

NO.

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you? I guess that depends on what you consider great shape.

Well I eat healthy and exercise. I weigh 190ish (fluctuates obviously) and I'm 6'2. I have a pretty good amount of muscle. I guess that's in shape to me. Sorry I'm not a freak over exercising. I'm just HEALTHY.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
Well I eat healthy and exercise. I weigh 190ish (fluctuates obviously) and I'm 6'2. I have a pretty good amount of muscle. I guess that's in shape to me. Sorry I'm not a freak over exercising. I'm just HEALTHY.

You don't have to be a freak over exercising to know that yoga isn't going to do shit for you in terms of building any kind of strength, or muscle mass. Nor help with bone density, or do much in the way of tendon or ligament strength.

Healthy isn't really hard to achieve, but you're talking about having muscle slowing you down... this just in... NFL players are pretty fucking fast, and they do a lot more than yoga.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't have to be a freak over exercising to know that yoga isn't going to do shit for you in terms of building any kind of strength, or muscle mass. Nor help with bone density, or do much in the way of tendon or ligament strength.

Healthy isn't really hard to achieve, but you're talking about having muscle slowing you down... this just in... NFL players are pretty fucking fast, and they do a lot more than yoga.

Obviously I'm not going to gain any muscle mass but stretching and keeping flexible helps speed.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know what else helps speed? Squats and power cleans.

Which I did in high school when I had weight training programs. And in college when I had friends to work out with.

Now I barely go to the gym, but I keep in shape. I'm not a freak about it, but I do enough to keep in shape. So I'm guessing you're some kind of expert on the subject? (serious question, not sarcasm)

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
Which I did in high school when I had weight training programs. And in college when I had friends to work out with.

Now I barely go to the gym, but I keep in shape. I'm not a freak about it, but I do enough to keep in shape. So I'm guessing you're some kind of expert on the subject? (serious question, not sarcasm)

Expert enough to know yoga doesn't build "lean muscle" I guess. I know a lot, I guess it depends on what you consider an expert.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I am training for the Big10k, yeah it's on Saturday I'm a procrastinator. Anyway I am running the 5k since this is my first event. And when I ran today I got 21 minutes 54 seconds. Is that good? Bad? Advice and criticism welcome.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So I am training for the Big10k, yeah it's on Saturday I'm a procrastinator. Anyway I am running the 5k since this is my first event. And when I ran today I got 21 minutes 54 seconds. Is that good? Bad? Advice and criticism welcome.
21:54 for a 5k for an amateur runner isn't horrible...especially just starting out. I'm running low 22's/high 21's right now but that's mainly because my concentration isn't that distance. I'm geared more towards half marathons at this point.

If I were to gear down towards the 5k distance I'd likely be running in the high 18's to mid 19's. Depending on race conditions

My PR in a 5k is 17:32 set a few(10) years ago. 21-22 is pretty average(not in a bad way) for an amateur runner. Anything below 20 is pretty good.

Did you run in HS/college?

What kind of training program are you using?

Last edited:

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
21:54 for a 5k for an amateur runner isn't horrible...especially just starting out. I'm running low 22's/high 21's right now but that's mainly because my concentration isn't that distance. I'm geared more towards half marathons at this point.

If I were to gear down towards the 5k distance I'd likely be running in the high 18's to mid 19's. Depending on race conditions

My PR in a 5k is 17:32 set a few(10) years ago. 21-22 is pretty average(not in a bad way) for an amateur runner. Anything below 20 is pretty good.

Did you run in HS/college?

What kind of training program are you using?
Okay well that is good to hear! Um actually I have never ever run competitively, in fact I hated running and never knew why people did it. But that was also last year when I was 210lbs... then I got accepted by some miracle of God into a physical education leaders program, but all my peers were a lot more fit than I was and I stood out as the most unfit kid in class. So I started to try to lose weight and hit a snag somewhere around 160-150lb mark (my goal is 130lb.), so I found running and here I am. Never ran competitively in HS, not planning to in college, just for pure sport and exercise. And I guess I'm not using a training program, just trying to run the 5k everyday and get better times is my program I guess.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...130 lbs? I'm no expert by any means, but that seems thin. How tall are you?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Okay well that is good to hear! Um actually I have never ever run competitively, in fact I hated running and never knew why people did it. But that was also last year when I was 210lbs... then I got accepted by some miracle of God into a physical education leaders program, but all my peers were a lot more fit than I was and I stood out as the most unfit kid in class. So I started to try to lose weight and hit a snag somewhere around 160-150lb mark (my goal is 130lb.), so I found running and here I am. Never ran competitively in HS, not planning to in college, just for pure sport and exercise. And I guess I'm not using a training program, just trying to run the 5k everyday and get better times is my program I guess.

Ok, wow. Where to start.

First off, don't run the 5k every day. To see any real sustainable improvements you'll have to run further than a 5k at certain paces. You'll also have to run speed workouts as well. What you plan on doing right now is doing it completely wrong. In peak 5k shape for me I had some long runs as far as 8-9 miles. Variance in the workouts is key.

A good place to start is Runnersworld.com Lot's of great resources there. Use the Smartcoach tool. You can pay for it or use the free one over and over again.

Also, this book is fantastic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1609618025/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01

It's a 3 day a week running program I swear by. It's mainly for half marathons and marathons but there are 10k and 5k programs in there as well. Also, just a good general book on running as far as diet, training routine, and stretching go.

Get good shoes. What do you run in right now?

You're trying to drop to 130? How tall are you? Is it realistic to get that light?

Honestly, if you're serious about running and you're still in HS....run XC and/or track. You'll learn a ton about running and workouts that way.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Taking BMI for what it's worth at 5'8 he's in a normal range but I hate BMI for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.