Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you guys don't visit or utilize any websites? You just go on your personal experiences - what your body reacts the best to?

I ran in HS and college and when I got back into running I used runnersworld a lot and watched my diet for the longest time.

At this point it's all habit and I really don't think about what I'm doing much. It's just a way of life.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How accurate are the online BF calculators?

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they are to be believed, I'm at an "Acceptable" percentage at 20%.

According to WebMD, here are the ranges (men only):

Essential fat 2-4%

Athletes 6-13%

Fitness 14-17%

Acceptable 18-25%

Obese 26% plus

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ok, wow. Where to start.

First off, don't run the 5k every day. To see any real sustainable improvements you'll have to run further than a 5k at certain paces. You'll also have to run speed workouts as well. What you plan on doing right now is doing it completely wrong. In peak 5k shape for me I had some long runs as far as 8-9 miles. Variance in the workouts is key.

A good place to start is Runnersworld.com Lot's of great resources there. Use the Smartcoach tool. You can pay for it or use the free one over and over again.

Also, this book is fantastic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1609618025/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01

It's a 3 day a week running program I swear by. It's mainly for half marathons and marathons but there are 10k and 5k programs in there as well. Also, just a good general book on running as far as diet, training routine, and stretching go.

Get good shoes. What do you run in right now?

You're trying to drop to 130? How tall are you? Is it realistic to get that light?

Honestly, if you're serious about running and you're still in HS....run XC and/or track. You'll learn a ton about running and workouts that way.
you mean like interval training

that shit absolutely sucks(our coach used to make us do ladders starting at 1600 meters and work on down..)

but it gets you results

if you're training for the 5k..ya you need to do some serious long range stuff imo...mix in some 6-9 mile runs...build up endurance

mix in some interval training and then do some 5k timing periodically

just my advice

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
you mean like interval training

that shit absolutely sucks(our coach used to make us do ladders starting at 1600 meters and work on down..)

but it gets you results

if you're training for the 5k..ya you need to do some serious long range stuff imo...mix in some 6-9 mile runs...build up endurance

mix in some interval training and then do some 5k timing periodically

just my advice

Like I said I appreciate all criticisms and advice! I will most definitely try and run longer tomorrow, the race is on Saturday so I will let you all know how it goes!

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Like I said I appreciate all criticisms and advice! I will most definitely try and run longer tomorrow, the race is on Saturday so I will let you all know how it goes!

...if the race is Saturday you should be tapering down. Not increasing mileage. You should be running a light two miles tonight. Maybe a mile on Friday. Maybe take Friday night off.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
...if the race is Saturday you should be tapering down. Not increasing mileage. You should be running a light two miles tonight. Maybe a mile on Friday. Maybe take Friday night off.

oh okay, well that's a relief since I have work tomorrow and friday and the race starts at like 7 am, so i ll be nice and rested

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
damn, 131? I weigh about 190-195.
Me to but I'm 6 foot 1

That's stupid fucking low.
in my health class this year we all checked our BF% and some kid got 4% :lmao:

oh okay, well that's a relief since I have work tomorrow and friday and the race starts at like 7 am, so i ll be nice and rested

Tell us how it goes!

FT- why dont you like Nke's? I prefer Asics as well, but I just got a pair of Nike Flex Runs, just for wearing around and doing everyday activities, and they're pretty comfy IMO :shrug:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Me to but I'm 6 foot 1

Was he dead?

FT- why dont you like Nke's? I prefer Asics as well, but I just got a pair of Nike Flex Runs, just for wearing around and doing everyday activities, and they're pretty comfy IMO :shrug:
I used to love Nike. Their Max Air series and Bowerman series were amazing. Most of their shoes now run way to heavy in the heell for my tastes and the Flex/Free line doesn't offer much support for a distance training shoe. Might be nice shoes for Cross Fitter(lol at them anyways) but they've fallen behind in the running shoe market IMO, especially distance shoes.

Last edited:

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:

Whoever was taking it sucked at taking it. Professional body builders walk on stage completely depleted and shredded at 5-6%. I've been legit 8%, but prefer 10-12% as that's where I'm strongest.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoever was taking it sucked at taking it. Professional body builders walk on stage completely depleted and shredded at 5-6%. I've been legit 8%, but prefer 10-12% as that's where I'm strongest.

The kid was a shrimp and like 5 foot 2, the thing could've been inaccurate idk, not sure what we used but it didnt seem all that impressive, just some home test kit most likely, :lol: I found it very funny though

Status
Not open for further replies.