Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
I think its amazing how everyone here can ruin a perfectly good forum about a topic in which we should all be supporting one another in our quests to continue to be healthy, get in better shape, and perhaps lower some times. If I may be so bold to ask that we get back to supporting one another and not doing whatever it is we have been doing for the past five pages.

I do have a few questions, and they are real - not just for fights. I was under the belief that different runners have different feet, are different sizes, and thus need different shoes that are either more supportive in the arch, or if you are like me and a bit larger (6 foot 2 - now down to the 190s mark) need some more stability when running. I don't believe that recommending one kind of shoe for everyone is perhaps the right way. I am sure there are more experienced runners here that would know more, but at least that is what the computer and running stores (two in two different states) have both told me. Are these sales pitches.

Lets get this forum back on "track" (ha ha ha) and see if we can get back to supporting and helping one another because I have been doing this for five months and I really enjoyed the first few pages when we were all working together, sorta. Just my thoughts and I will be done with it. Thanks for listening.

Oh, I am training for my first half marathon right now in late September. I am freaked out that there is no way I will be ready, but have been working hard for five months getting in shape for Tough Mudder first (three weeks ago) and now this in September. Will be my last outside event before the weather gets bad out here in the Northeast and everything gets moved inside. Looking forward to really pushing the hell outta this old body that is gradually getting into some of the best shape I have been in since I was an undergrad student years ago.

Peace out all. Thanks for listening.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think its amazing how everyone here can ruin a perfectly good forum about a topic in which we should all be supporting one another in our quests to continue to be healthy, get in better shape, and perhaps lower some times. If I may be so bold to ask that we get back to supporting one another and not doing whatever it is we have been doing for the past five pages.

I do have a few questions, and they are real - not just for fights. I was under the belief that different runners have different feet, are different sizes, and thus need different shoes that are either more supportive in the arch, or if you are like me and a bit larger (6 foot 2 - now down to the 190s mark) need some more stability when running. I don't believe that recommending one kind of shoe for everyone is perhaps the right way. I am sure there are more experienced runners here that would know more, but at least that is what the computer and running stores (two in two different states) have both told me. Are these sales pitches.

Lets get this forum back on "track" (ha ha ha) and see if we can get back to supporting and helping one another because I have been doing this for five months and I really enjoyed the first few pages when we were all working together, sorta. Just my thoughts and I will be done with it. Thanks for listening.

Oh, I am training for my first half marathon right now in late September. I am freaked out that there is no way I will be ready, but have been working hard for five months getting in shape for Tough Mudder first (three weeks ago) and now this in September. Will be my last outside event before the weather gets bad out here in the Northeast and everything gets moved inside. Looking forward to really pushing the hell outta this old body that is gradually getting into some of the best shape I have been in since I was an undergrad student years ago.

:clap:

When it comes to running shoes, the running store i went to told me the same thing about feet, shape, the way you run (i.e., where your foot first strikes the ground), etc...and how some shoes that fit some people perfectly well won't fit another person well at all...that's why they said they encouraged people to run around the block to ensure a good fit/comfort level with each shoe they thought best fit my foot (Nike, Asics, Brooks).

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer turned me on to this great website, runnersworld.com, it's a really great resource for training, what to wear, and even what type of shoe will fit you best. Hope this link helps you.
http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
And good luck in your preparation for a half marathon, I can't even imagine running that yet!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Mainly sales pitches. Every shoe company has a shoe for virtually every foot type/foot strike combo.

Oh, I am training for my first half marathon right now in late September. I am freaked out that there is no way I will be ready,
I'd be worried too if I were you. The shortest training regimen I've ever seen for a half marathon is 10 weeks.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
:clap:

When it comes to running shoes, the running store i went to told me the same thing about feet, shape, the way you run (i.e., where your foot first strikes the ground), etc...and how some shoes that fit some people perfectly well won't fit another person well at all...that's why they said they encouraged people to run around the block to ensure a good fit/comfort level with each shoe they thought best fit my foot (Nike, Asics, Brooks).
This is a pretty dumb idea. No way you'll be able to tell how the shoe rubs, fits, and wears in on a jog around the block. All you'll basically feel is the general cushion and softness of the shoe.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a pretty dumb idea. No way you'll be able to tell how the shoe rubs, fits, and wears in on a jog around the block. All you'll basically feel is the general cushion and softness of the shoe.

it's better than nothing, isn't it? :)

bears12th

Liked Posts:
Mainly sales pitches. Every shoe company has a shoe for virtually every foot type/foot strike combo.

I'd be worried too if I were you. The shortest training regimen I've ever seen for a half marathon is 10 weeks.

Been training for five months previous to the Mudder. Training outta the book you recommended actually (run less, run faster book thing-a-ma-bob). Really enjoyed the book - at least I think it was you, or was it Rory - about running. Doing ok with it, but I am still not a college kid anymore and had a ways to go when I started five months ago. Had far more than the 16 or 18 week training the book used, but had a two week period in the middle there where I did the mudder and didn't train for the half. I will be fine, just remember how it was when I was younger wishing, and often times thinking, that I should still be able to do that when I get out in the morning. Tough getting old guys - let me tell you your mind doesn't think you are getting old but your body and everything about it just slowly changes. Freaking age.

Thanks for the book recommendation by the way - been good for me and I think it will get me ready. The longest race I had ever done before was 5 miles and that was years ago.

bears12th

Liked Posts:
The great thing about what I have done since February is I never thought I could get this far. Over 26 pounds lost but even better the inches and amount of muscle I have put on with some light weight training and then with the running and cross training I have done have really changed my body in a way I haven't seen it in probably over 15 years. Got this half in September and seeing my family (they live 3K miles from me as I am stationed in CT and am from the west coast) in December for the first time in over a year and a half and want to surprise the pants off them when I visit them and my wife's family. Been a fun time and in many ways, you all have been a small motivational help in my journey. Thanks again.

Reactions: X

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been training for five months previous to the Mudder. Training outta the book you recommended actually (run less, run faster book thing-a-ma-bob). Really enjoyed the book - at least I think it was you, or was it Rory - about running. Doing ok with it, but I am still not a college kid anymore and had a ways to go when I started five months ago. Had far more than the 16 or 18 week training the book used, but had a two week period in the middle there where I did the mudder and didn't train for the half. I will be fine, just remember how it was when I was younger wishing, and often times thinking, that I should still be able to do that when I get out in the morning. Tough getting old guys - let me tell you your mind doesn't think you are getting old but your body and everything about it just slowly changes. Freaking age.

Thanks for the book recommendation by the way - been good for me and I think it will get me ready. The longest race I had ever done before was 5 miles and that was years ago.

The great thing about what I have done since February is I never thought I could get this far. Over 26 pounds lost but even better the inches and amount of muscle I have put on with some light weight training and then with the running and cross training I have done have really changed my body in a way I haven't seen it in probably over 15 years. Got this half in September and seeing my family (they live 3K miles from me as I am stationed in CT and am from the west coast) in December for the first time in over a year and a half and want to surprise the pants off them when I visit them and my wife's family. Been a fun time and in many ways, you all have been a small motivational help in my journey. Thanks again.
Great to hear.

The great thing about that 3 day a week training plan is it leave a lot of room for other types of cross training or weight training during the course of the week. I've PR'd like crazy using the book and now this fall will be using the 3 day a week running plan t try and go 1:35 for the half in November and do more lifting and weight training on the off days.

What's your goal time?

bears12th

Liked Posts:
Great to hear.

The great thing about that 3 day a week training plan is it leave a lot of room for other types of cross training or weight training during the course of the week. I've PR'd like crazy using the book and now this fall will be using the 3 day a week running plan t try and go 1:35 for the half in November and do more lifting and weight training on the off days.

What's your goal time?

Goal time is 2:05:00 or so. I took a 5K time after a few months of training and have stuck with it and that is my goal according to the book. Can/will I do better than that. Who knows. I have come a LONG way since I took that time but have kept the training up for that time because I didn't want to rush and get ahead of myself and where I have gotten to. Would love to think I can do it right at 2:00:00 and break that mark, but realistically, I don't think I am quite there yet.

Slowly and steadily trying to get back into shape. 5 months ago you could have called me an obese smoker on the verge of alcoholism. Now, I am just an ugly old guy trying to get into shape who still enjoys his bourbon probably a little too much. : )

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went and tried on some Asics gel Kayano 17's, Fila DLS Top Fuels, New Balance 1224, 859, 769 & Saucony Progrid Omni 7's. It was slim pickens since I have an extremely flat foot - no arch what-so-ever (So flat they almost disqualified me from joining the Navy back in 1989) . Since I needed extra wide running shoe, I ended up getting the Fila Top Fuel's. Soooooo comfortable.

I walked in expecting to get the Asics or Saucony because of their reputation...but I found that it's all in the fit - not the name. I was truly surprised I ended up getting Fila's.

shoes_ia94117.jpg

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I'll admit it's a bit flawed, but it's better than walking about 10 ft in them, or not walking in them at all. Of course you'll disagree with this, and that's fine. we're all use to it. FT > all. we know.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
I'll admit it's a bit flawed, but it's better than walking about 10 ft in them, or not walking in them at all. Of course you'll disagree with this, and that's fine. we're all use to it. FT > all. we know.

You have a real insecure, inferiority complex. I would hate to coach you in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.