Ryan Pace and Sports Science

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One under rated aspect of this season has been the health of the team. It is no in recent memory when a Bears team made it through camp and the first 4 games of the season without significant injury derailing the season.

Ryan Pace has lived through some of the worst injury plagued seasons in recent Bears history including leading the league in games missed and players on IR.

He set off to rebuild the sports science and training side of the team and the early returns need to be looked at as being very positive. Between the improved health care and training and the upgrades to the facility it appears the Bears are starting to get the Monday through Saturday things right for a change and joining the routinely competitive big boys of the league.

I think we are starting to see some of the early returns of a team that has finally doing the little things to be very competitive.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One under rated aspect of this season has been the health of the team. It is no in recent memory when a Bears team made it through camp and the first 4 games of the season without significant injury derailing the season.

Ryan Pace has lived through some of the worst injury plagued seasons in recent Bears history including leading the league in games missed and players on IR.

He set off to rebuild the sports science and training side of the team and the early returns need to be looked at as being very positive. Between the improved health care and training and the upgrades to the facility it appears the Bears are starting to get the Monday through Saturday things right for a change and joining the routinely competitive big boys of the league.

I think we are starting to see some of the early returns of a team that has finally doing the little things to be very competitive.

Be curious to see if this holds true over the course of a season or two, or just stats starting to even them selves out.

mecha

Liked Posts:
this is a topic that shouldn't even be discussed. I'll just be thankful.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The improved health of the team is much more the result of Nagy's coaching staff and how they practice the team than it is the revamped training staff. At least this season...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is just nice to being operating at the front of the league on somethings and not at the back anymore.

I think Nagy is a huge part of that. The entire league was hiring young offensive minded/innovative HCs and the Bears hired John Fox to come in and be a dinosaur on the sideline and get out coaches each week.

Having less to complain about in the structure of the organization is nice.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think it’s a little early to claim science has helped the decrease in injuries vs just plain old luck

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Law of averages might be a factor as well.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
doesnt mean shit until we see that it is a trend over multiple seasons

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I remember some good years under Lovie like the 2010 run and even 2012 was pretty solid.

2013 under Trestman only really lost Jay Cutler...and the offense still hummed along for a change.

But under John Fox...it was comically bad. Halloween comes and the Bears already have twelve players on IR. Nine of them starters.

Was Fox's staff that bad or did general apathy put down a third of the team three years running?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember some good years under Lovie like the 2010 run and even 2012 was pretty solid.

2013 under Trestman only really lost Jay Cutler...and the offense still hummed along for a change.

But under John Fox...it was comically bad. Halloween comes and the Bears already have twelve players on IR. Nine of them starters.

Was Fox's staff that bad or did general apathy put down a third of the team three years running?

Sometimes bad luck is just that.........

That being said, I applaud any effort made to improve the health of the players (and availability). Hard to take a 5 game snapshot and claim success, but that doesn't mean the effort isn't worth taking....Even a small improvement over the norm is significant.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That being said, I applaud any effort made to improve the health of the players (and availability).

Exactly. It is the one area that is a win for the owner, player and fan.

There just still is a great personal commitment you have to make and I could see the discipline weakening on a bad team going nowhere slow. It was not the factor, but I am sure it certainly was a factor.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
The Bears do have quite a few players who have never missed a game due to injury.

They also have a lot of players who have missed entire seasons due to injury.

Seems like luck. Good thing they are deep.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The improved health of the team is much more the result of Nagy's coaching staff and how they practice the team than it is the revamped training staff. At least this season...

Don't agree. John Fox and his staff had changed the way the entire team trained using some fucking weird newfangled equipment that these players have never used in their entire careers. No way no how that didn't have a huge impact on the fact his teams were routinely decimated by injuries. Now the Bears are back to training with more traditional methods.

In my personal opinion there is no replacement for traditional weightlifting and the avenue for pushing the limits on technology and innovation is only with recovery and rehabilitation equipment.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Don't agree. John Fox and his staff had changed the way the entire team trained using some fucking weird newfangled equipment that these players have never used in their entire careers. No way no how that didn't have a huge impact on the fact his teams were routinely decimated by injuries. Now the Bears are back to training with more traditional methods.

In my personal opinion there is no replacement for traditional weightlifting and the avenue for pushing the limits on technology and innovation is only with recovery and rehabilitation equipment.

Except the players weren't on that new routine for long. Most players train on their own away from Halas Hall in the off-season. They weren't there to train much at all. So the impact of new training methods would be minimal, at best. But a new way of coaching/practicing? Much bigger impact THIS SEASON...