Sammy Watkins is the best free agent WR of 2018

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I too prefer Watkins. He'd be a differentiator for our offense. I just have this feeling he'll end up back with the Rams because they are building something special there and the offense is a known commodity already. I think the Rams will pony up but some team could wow him. I hope it would be us with the wow.

One thing to consider about Watkins is that he wasn’t happy in LA when he wasn’t getting targeted much. He was a malcontent at the beginning of the season, but his attitude matured through the season.

That said, although LA has money to sign him to a big deal, he might prefer going to a team (like CHI) were he’d be the focal point and get lots of targets (and get $$$).

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Yeah, let's commit 30 million dollars to 2 wide receivers...

Then let's spend our top 10 pick on one too...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The whole point of committing to a top dog wr is he will open up things for the lesser talented ones cause defenses will focus on top dog. Look at Meredith with Jeffrey in the line up he was balling and that’s the hope if we land Robinson or Watkins. So you don’t go wasting your cap on more wrs it just won’t be needed. That cap can be used to solidify other weaknesses like the one many here like to ignore at pass rusher

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Imagine if we signed em both and Wilson then draft Ridley

Watkins
Robinson
Wilson
Ridley
Meredith
White

I am not going to imagine they would sign all three and still draft a WR at #8 (who is not worth a pick that high). If they did that, they'd be stupid. There would be much more value at 8 elsewhere.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
One thing to consider about Watkins is that he wasn’t happy in LA when he wasn’t getting targeted much. He was a malcontent at the beginning of the season, but his attitude matured through the season.

That said, although LA has money to sign him to a big deal, he might prefer going to a team (like CHI) were he’d be the focal point and get lots of targets (and get $$$).

My concern is the #1 offense in the NFL in points last year with one of the greatest young offensive minds in the league, for whatever reason, didn't target him more than that. And now they are giving him the chance to walk.

I have a hard time believing there isn't something else up with Watkins we don't know about

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
My concern is the #1 offense in the NFL in points last year with one of the greatest young offensive minds in the league, for whatever reason, didn't target him more than that.

I have a hard time believing there isn't something else up with Watkins we don't know about

I would still take that gamble with the 24 year old Watkins.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
My concern is the #1 offense in the NFL in points last year with one of the greatest young offensive minds in the league, for whatever reason, didn't target him more than that. And now they are giving him the chance to walk.

He was a decoy a lot of the time. He moved the defense to his side and opened up the offense for others. That said, we saw the exact same thing from Julio Jones last year.

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
He was a decoy a lot of the time. He moved the defense to his side and opened up the offense for others. That said, we saw the exact same thing from Julio Jones last year.

Yes we most certainly did.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:

I buy that answer along with the Jared Goff deep ball accuracy being a problem last year.

I'm just not sure the two add up to the production issues Watkins has had, but we will know for sure based on how competitive the Rams are trying to bring him back

The thing with Julio though is he still put up 1,444 yards because guys that supremely talented and athletic have to work really hard not to produce

Watkins should be close to that level

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I buy that answer along with the Jared Goff deep ball accuracy being a problem last year.

I'm just not sure the two add up to the production issues Watkins has had, but we will know for sure based on how competitive the Rams are trying to bring him back

The thing with Julio though is he still put up 1,444 yards because guys that supremely talented and athletic have to work really hard not to produce

Watkins should be close to that level
Incompletely agree that Watkins’ production has never come close to matching his potential. It’s why he was traded out of Buffalo. That’s the big question with him.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Incompletely agree that Watkins’ production has never come close to matching his potential. It’s why he was traded out of Buffalo. That’s the big question with him.

Yeah it is definitely baffling to say the least

At the same time though, I realize there is a chance it could just be the perfect shit storm of terrible circumstances for Watkins that leads a receiver that ridiculously talented to fall into the Bears' lap.

I'm really hoping it's that one.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Could be an extremely timely thread Adipost...

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Idk is this was posted in the big free agency thread, but Biggs says Watkins is the Bears #1 target:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-free-agency-sammy-watkins-20180312-story.html

Multiple sources say the Bears have identified the Rams’ Sammy Watkins as their top target at arguably their greatest position of need — wide receiver. Watkins, the fourth overall pick in the 2014 draft by the Bills, has averaged 15.9 yards per catch in his career. For the sake of comparison, that’s more than a yard better than former Bear Alshon Jeffery.

The Bears are also believed to have expressed interest in Jaguars wide receiver Allen Robinson, but he is coming off a torn ACL suffered in the season opener last year. Watkins would arrive healthy and as a certified speedster who would add a missing dimension to the offense.