Sam's Old Mailbag, Luol, and 2 Bad Moves

Fred

Liked Posts:
Sam Smith's Mailbag, 11.22.2006
Is Luol Deng a legitimate candidate to play shooting guard? What strengths or weaknesses does he have that would make that possible for impossible? --Jim Hecimovich, Oxford, England

Sam Smith: I don't think so. The Bulls thought about it some, but the backcourt is crowded and Luol hasn't defended as well this season. The Bulls say he's the most responsible for the penetration off the perimeter and wouldn't give him extra defensive responsibility. He also has been unable to improve his shooting range and actually has been asked to get away from the three-point line.....I don't see Deng guarding twos since he hasn't done the best job this season guarding threes.

So the Bulls coaching staff felt in the first month of Luol’s best season that he was “the most responsible for the penetration off the perimeter".

Chicago Bullseye interview with KC Johnson, on why the Bulls suck:
“I don’t want to single out one player……but the play of Luol Deng has been disappointing. Even though his numbers are pretty similar to last season, he hasn’t taken that next step forward.”

In casual conversation after the recording, KC mentioned that Luol was frequently "torched" during the season up to that point.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi...king-out-still-a-few-weeks-away-from-100.html
Doug Thonus reports on ChicagoNow.com: "As for the stress fracture itself, the last update my sources have given me says another three to four weeks before it's 100%.”

Luol’s been out since Feb. 28th. He could be the slowest healing human being on the planet. He’s the anti-Wolverine.

Then I turn on Kush’s latest show, and Kush describes fans who say “You can’t pay that much money for Ben Gordon.” I can only imagine the insane, "kill your cat” anger these same fans must harbor over Deng’s contract, since he’s making 13 million per year. If Gordon isn’t worth 11 mpy, then Deng isn’t worth 8 mpy.

In 5 years, the following 2 assertions will be widely regarded as true:
a. The Luol Deng contract signed in July 08 will be one of the worst deals in Chicago Bulls history.
b. Reinsdorf’s decision to pull the 9 million per year offer (that Gordon wanted to sign) off the table in late September of 08, thus enabling a 20 ppg scorer to walk without any compensation, will be regarded as one of the worst decisions in NBA history.
Both decisions made within 60 days of each other…Both decisions made by a man who chose Krause and Tim Floyd over Phil Jackson…both decisions not surprising.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
my blood is boiling! really really! people dont think gordon isnt worth 11 mil...deng is worth 13?

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
I love Gordon and am really hoping we ink him soon, but "one of the worst decisions in NBA History"? It might be very bad, but I don't think people in 25 years will be saying "Remember when the Bulls didn't resign BG?" I definitely am matching anything remotely reasonable though.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
Not resigning Ben being one of the worst moves in NBA history is a little over the top, I still remember the Hawks trading Nique to the Clipps for Danny Manning, or the Bulls trading Brand for Chandler, or the Knicks signing Alan Houston to a $20mill per year contract

MADman24

Liked Posts:
jsain360 wrote:
Not resigning Ben being one of the worst moves in NBA history is a little over the top, I still remember the Hawks trading Nique to the Clipps for Danny Manning, or the Bulls trading Brand for Chandler, or the Knicks signing Alan Houston to a $20mill per year contract
Brand was going to leave anyway we had to get something for him.

As far as this goes I think it's the combination of the two which will be remembered. Reinsdorf chose to pay Deng 13 mill and pull the lower 9 mill per year offer off the table from the superior player. It might be one of the worst in Bulls history but throughout the league this will probably just be remembered as just another bad contract, people even forgetting Deng was chosen over Ben.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
jsain360 wrote:
Polynice for Pippen
Gasol

Are a few others that could be considered in the future. Though I guess Marc Gasol might salvage it from being one of the absolute worst.

Fred

Liked Posts:
ryguy24 wrote:
I love Gordon and am really hoping we ink him soon, but "one of the worst decisions in NBA History"? It might be very bad, but I don't think people in 25 years will be saying "Remember when the Bulls didn't resign BG?" I definitely am matching anything remotely reasonable though.

It's not the just the fact that we didn't resign him. It's the fact that he's going to walk without compensation. We're not even going to get a sign and trade. We're letting a #1 pick (#3 overall), 20 PPG scorer, with no injury history, no off-the-court problems, walk for nothing...AND HE'S JUST ENTERING HIS PRIME. On top of it all, he'll probably walk to a hated division rival. The only thing I can recall more idiotic was the Cubs letting Greg Maddux walk. That was 100 times more stupid, but this approaches it in idiocy.

One of these days, I'm going to rewrite that God-awful "Only the Bulls" song, and talk about how they chased away Jordan, Pippen, Jackson...traded Brand, hired Floyd, let Gordon walk. Only the Bulls indeed.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Is Luol Deng a legitimate candidate to play shooting guard? What strengths or weaknesses does he have that would make that possible for impossible? --Jim Hecimovich, Oxford, England

Sam Smith: I don't think so. The Bulls thought about it some, but the backcourt is crowded and Luol hasn't defended as well this season. The Bulls say he's the most responsible for the penetration off the perimeter and wouldn't give him extra defensive responsibility. He also has been unable to improve his shooting range and actually has been asked to get away from the three-point line.....I don't see Deng guarding twos since he hasn't done the best job this season guarding threes.

So the Bulls coaching staff felt in the first month of Luol’s best season that he was “the most responsible for the penetration off the perimeter".

“I don’t want to single out one player……but the play of Luol Deng has been disappointing. Even though his numbers are pretty similar to last season, he hasn’t taken that next step forward.”

In casual conversation after the recording, KC mentioned that Luol was frequently "torched" during the season up to that point.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi...king-out-still-a-few-weeks-away-from-100.html
Doug Thonus reports on ChicagoNow.com: "As for the stress fracture itself, the last update my sources have given me says another three to four weeks before it's 100%.”

Luol’s been out since Feb. 28th. He could be the slowest healing human being on the planet. He’s the anti-Wolverine.

Then I turn on Kush’s latest show, and Kush describes fans who say “You can’t pay that much money for Ben Gordon.” I can only imagine the insane, "kill your cat” anger these same fans must harbor over Deng’s contract, since he’s making 13 million per year. If Gordon isn’t worth 11 mpy, then Deng isn’t worth 8 mpy.

a. The Luol Deng contract signed in July 08 will be one of the worst deals in Chicago Bulls history.
b. Reinsdorf’s decision to pull the 9 million per year offer (that Gordon wanted to sign) off the table in late September of 08, thus enabling a 20 ppg scorer to walk without any compensation, will be regarded as one of the worst decisions in NBA history.
Both decisions made within 60 days of each other…Both decisions made by a man who chose Krause and Tim Floyd over Phil Jackson…both decisions not surprising.

Fred get your facts straight before writing this post. Deng contract is only worth 10 million a year since 30 percent of his contract is guaranteed. Thus its really 6/60 million which isn't that bad of contract. So what if he didn't make the leap he's one of the hardest working players when on the floor, goes after every lose ball, very physical player, and provides good defense. Why is it his fault Bulls organization is stupid and tells him to get post game?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Fred wrote:

Fred get your facts straight before writing this post. Deng contract is only worth 10 million a year since 30 percent of his contract is guaranteed. Thus its really 6/60 million which isn't that bad of contract. So what if he didn't make the leap he's one of the hardest working players when on the floor, goes after every lose ball, very physical player, and provides good defense. Why is it his fault Bulls organization is stupid and tells him to get post game?

C'mon now Dpauley Deng a physical player? He's Mr. Glass! The guy shrinks from physical play. Deng & physical shouldn't even be in the same sentence, unless it's him getting one at the doctor's office after another season-ending injury. Hardest working player when on the floor? How many times this year did you just watch Luol stand out by the 3pt line hoping someone would pass to him? He complained about the system not being geared toward his strengths. Yet Salmons comes in & in 2 weeks is already completely acclimated to our style & became one of the best players on the team. For a guy who's a Max player, Deng should be finding ways to contribute & improve his game, instead of mouthing off to the media that the coaches aren't finding him ways to contribute.

And for the love of God if you're going to shoot 1 step inside the 3pt line, why not try & take that 1 step back & LEARN HOW TO SHOOT A F'N THREE!!!

Fred

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
[Fred get your facts straight before writing this post. Deng contract is only worth 10 million a year since 30 percent of his contract is guaranteed. Thus its really 6/60 million which isn't that bad of contract. So what if he didn't make the leap he's one of the hardest working players when on the floor, goes after every lose ball, very physical player, and provides good defense. Why is it his fault Bulls organization is stupid and tells him to get post game?

"Sources said earlier this week that the sides had verbally agreed on a new six-year pact worth a guaranteed $71 million. Various media outlets are reporting that the deal could be worth as much as $80 million." - Mark Stein, ESPN.com.

Where have you heard that only 30% of his contract is guaranteed? What are your sources?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Letting a player go who is not great cannot be seen as one of the worst moves in the almost 90-year history of the league. I don't think so. Dumars not drafting Carmelo is the worst move I have seen in league history...I am sure there are worse, but not by much. Some people actually think Gordon should NOT be retained...so that is different than the Carmelo situation for example, where Carmelo was consensus #2 behind Lebron...a no brainer.

Fact is, the Bulls don't see Gordon as a great player like you do, neither do I.

What about John "Hot Rod" Williams and Jon Koncak? Worst moves by far.

If Jordan not getting drafted by Portland is excused because Portland had 2 decent SGs then letting Gordon go will be excused because the Bulls have a decent SG that can start.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Letting a player go who is not great cannot be seen as one of the worst moves in the almost 90-year history of the league. I don't think so. Dumars not drafting Carmelo is the worst move I have seen in league history...I am sure there are worse, but not by much. Some people actually think Gordon should NOT be retained...so that is different than the Carmelo situation for example, where Carmelo was consensus #2 behind Lebron...a no brainer.

Fact is, the Bulls don't see Gordon as a great player like you do, neither do I.

What about John "Hot Rod" Williams and Jon Koncak? Worst moves by far.

If Jordan not getting drafted by Portland is excused because Portland had 2 decent SGs then letting Gordon go will be excused because the Bulls have a decent SG that can start.

Really? I wonder what SG you're talking about. Demarcus Nelson perhaps?

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Yea DPauly, I have no idea what your talking about. Deng's entire contract is not guarenteed, but 72 million of 80 million is. Now any non-Sox fan can tell you, that is NOT 30%! Also DPauly, I am sorry but I think you need to get a new perscription on contacts, cause I don't know what the hell your seeing. Deng is one of the LEAST physical players we have ever had. Especially for someone that we like to tout as a "Franchise Guy" (before Rose came in and showed us how "not a franchise guy" Deng is. Deng takes jump shots, thats all he does.....and he takes long, low percentage ones at that. If he was physical, you would see him body guys down in the post to take high percentage shots, like Tayshaun Prince, Josh Howard, Andre Igoudala and other comprable players. Of the med-tier 3's which Deng is a part of, he is at the bottom of the food chain, because he is not nearly as good or as pysical as the others! Dengs defense also blows for a player who is 6'9. Look at the Detroit series 2 years ago, Tayshaun Prince looked like Michael Jordan against Luol Deng!! There is a reason Kirk Hinrich used to guard the other teams best player...because Deng can't do it! Also, when has Deng ever.. EVER dove for a loose ball on the floor!?!?!?! The only loose balls Deng has ever even been close too is when he is adjusting his shorts!!!!! Luol Deng is a mediocre player at best and a 3rd-4th option on almost any other team. I have said FOREVER that he didnt deserve the big bucks, but JR is a douch and gave it to him anyways.

Fred, as usual your going a bit overboard here. One of the worst moves in NBA history? NO! One of the worst moves in franchise history? Yes.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Was that a joke or are you serious? The Blazers had two all-star SGs at the time.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Unfortunatly, I don't think that was a joke, becuase Diddy is not that funny! I think he was referring to the Bulls SG's who would replace BG.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Dumars not drafting Carmelo is the worst move I have seen in league history...

I agree with that one 100%. They could of had Carmelo or Wade or Bosh or Kaman. Hell Hinrich is is way better than Darko.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He was making a joke totally ignoring Salmons.

Oh okay, I get it now, went over my head.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
mlewinth wrote:
Unfortunatly, I don't think that was a joke, becuase Diddy is not that funny! I think he was referring to the Bulls SG's who would replace BG.

You know I'm the funniest guy you know. I was even asked to perform in the Just For Laughs Tour at the Chicago Theater. They were gonna bump Martin Short for me but his lawyer threatened to sue.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Dpauley23 wrote:
[Fred get your facts straight before writing this post. Deng contract is only worth 10 million a year since 30 percent of his contract is guaranteed. Thus its really 6/60 million which isn't that bad of contract. So what if he didn't make the leap he's one of the hardest working players when on the floor, goes after every lose ball, very physical player, and provides good defense. Why is it his fault Bulls organization is stupid and tells him to get post game?

"Sources said earlier this week that the sides had verbally agreed on a new six-year pact worth a guaranteed $71 million. Various media outlets are reporting that the deal could be worth as much as $80 million." - Mark Stein, ESPN.com.

Where have you heard that only 30% of his contract is guaranteed? What are your sources?

On real gm couple Mods from Bulls forum have stated this.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
houheffna wrote:
Dumars not drafting Carmelo is the worst move I have seen in league history...

I agree with that one 100%. They could of had Carmelo or Wade or Bosh or Kaman. Hell Hinrich is is way better than Darko.

One of worst moves in NBA history? That's alittle over the top. At least he was guy with ton of potentital and they had glaring need at pf where they already had sf covered with Prince. How about all of the free money Isiah gave to Jerome James, and Jared Jeffries?