WR Cameron Meredith to 1 year 3 million
RB Benny Cunningham to 1 year 1 million
LB Lamarr Houston 2 years 8 million/4 guaranteed
LB Christian Jones 2 years 6.5 million/4 guaranteed
LB Willie Young to 1 year 3.5 million
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed
TE Daniel Brown to 900k

Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham to 3 years 25 million/14 guaranteed

Bears can do a lot with Graham lined up at WR/TE and in dual TE sets with Adam Shaheen brining in a guy like Graham offers some much needed help in the passing game. It can take young TE a few years to adjust to life in the NFL Shaheen can benefit from Graham.

USATSI_8748348_168380823_lowres.jpg

Bears sign WR Paul Richardson to 5 years 40 million/14 guaranteed

Bears can't go into year two without finding some weapons for Mitchell Trubisky. Richardson has looked impressive opposite of Doug Baldwin but still has some growing to do as a receiver on the upside he is only 25 years old and that gives us time to build that relationship.

Paul-Richardson.jpg

Bears sign WR Taylor Gabriel to 4 years 18.5 million/8.5 guaranteed

Matt Nagy had a lot of success with Albert Wilson in Kansas City, Taylor Gabriel is a similar player that can be used the same way in the slot. He was given the nickname "Turbo" because of his 40 time and is in the top ten of fastest plays in the NFL currently.

taylor-gabriel-3817-usnews-getty-ftr_1l2lpgtblfs7i1pdlqeh0cfqtj.jpg

Bears sign QB Chase Daniel to 1 year 1 million

Matt Nagy spoke with Chase Daniel in the off season about Ryan Pace before making a choice to come to Chicago as an head coach. Daniel has an idea of how Nagy wants to run his system and could be a big help to Trubisky learning the system.

031016_chase-daniel_1200.jpg

Draft

Round 1 - Clelin Ferrell OLB

20 year old 6'5 Clelin Ferrell hasn't declared for the NFL Draft yet but it's insane to think he is this good at 20 years old his best days our ahead of him.

12/16/17: Clemson has a defensive line that is comprised of future first-round picks, and some sources think that Ferrell creates some of the big plays for the Tigers' other defensive linemen. Fellow defensive end Austin Bryant is playing himself into an early-rounder this year, but Bryant has done well cleaning up a lot of scrambling quarterbacks running away from Ferrell. Ferrell looks like a future first-round pick in the 2018 or 2019 NFL Draft.

Ferrell has superb speed with athleticism and the ability bend around the corner. He is very fast off the snap to get upfield and put quick pressure on the quarterback. Ferrell is more disruptive than his stat line indicates. On the season, he has 58 tackles with 16 tackles for a loss, 8.5 sacks, one pass batted and two forced fumbles.

9/1/17: Ferrell had an impressive redshirt freshman season for the Tigers in 2016 as he totaled 44 tackles with 12.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks and two passes batted. Ferrell has a good skill set with size, so he could easily rise with his year of experience.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB3-4.php#ixzz53yJe4Wwf

59d91f57149e5.image.jpg

Round 2 - Connor Williams OT

1/6/18: Williams returned to play in the final couple of games of 2017 before shutting it down to prepare for the 2018 NFL Draft and decided to skip his bowl game. He missed seven games of the 2017 season. Midway through the first half against USC, he went down with a torn knee meniscus and strained ligaments.

As we reported in the Hot Press, Williams was receiving some mid-round grades from evaluators this season. The main issue that sources said was hurting Williams is a lack of strength. One AFC team in need of tackle help said they gave him a late third-round, early fourth-round grade.

I spoke with a NFC general manager who scouted Williams in person this season, and they were disappointed in Williams overall. They felt Williams lacked strength and thought him overhyped. This NFC general manager said they thought Williams was a fourth-rounder. Williams had a disappointing season opener against Maryland, getting flagged for numerous holds, including some that canceled out big plays for his team. He allowed some pressures and hits, too. Williams has some athletic ability, and some evaluators feel he should move inside to guard.

9/1/17: Williams broke into the starting lineup at left tackle as a freshman for the Longhorns in 2015 and locked down the position. He improved as a sophomore as he was a steady pass protector and consistent run blocker. Williams has good length, quickness and athleticism. He needed to add more power, and he is supposedly up to 315 pounds entering the 2017 season. Scouting sources say that at this point, they see Williams as a first-round offensive tackle.

In pass protection, Williams is a good athlete with quickness on the edge. He has length with long arms and height to make it hard for edge rushers to get around him. Williams has quick feet, balance, and gets depth in his kick slide to neutralize edge rushers. Even though Williams wasn't overly powerful last year, he showed a nice ability to sustain his blocks in pass protection.

As a run blocker, Williams is excellent at using his quickness to fire to the second level to hit blocks to spring his running back for some long runs. Williams uses his athleticism to hit blocks in space and is superb at hitting blocks on linebackers to create lanes for the ball-carrier.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php#ixzz53yDFjHDa

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php#U8GQcOQoZR6moUj3.99

26_5131553.jpg

Round 4 - Frank Ragnow G/C

1/6/18: Ragnow played well for Arkansas before a high ankle sprain ended his season early. The injury required surgery, and Ragnow is not expected to be ready to participate for the Senior Bowl. He has been invited to play in Mobile, but after missing the last five games, Ragnow may not be healthy enough to perform.

7/17/17: Ragnow could be in the running to be one of the top center prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft. Over the past two seasons, he hasn't allowed a single sack while taking on excellent competition. As one can expect coming from Arkansas, Ragnow is also a tough run blocker. He is a technician who enters his senior year having made 26 straight starts. As a sophomore, Ragnow was the Razorbacks starter at right guard. He has the size to be a guard or center in the NFL.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php#ixzz53yDkLNs3

1704-Frank-Ragnow-Update.jpg

Round 4 - Deontay Burnett WR

12/29/17: Burnett has totaled 74 receptions for 975 yards and nine touchdowns in 2017. He doesn't have great size, but he is a quick receiver who is a quality route-runner.

7/17/17: Burnett flashed as the No. 2 receiver for the Trojans in 2016, catching 56 passes for 622 yards with seven touchdowns. With JuJu Smith-Schuster in the NFL, Burnett could be the No. 1 receiver for USC in 2017. With a tremendous quarterback in Sam Darnold, Burnett could be poised for a big season.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz53yEQ1cd2

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#MTEBOXf8eq1LjBWw.99

0102_spo_ldn-l-rosebowl-per_-21__23081777.jpg

Round 5 - Daylon Mack DT

12/16/17: In 2017, Mack has 16 tackles with five tackles for a loss, one sack and a forced fumble. He would be a good fit as a zero-technique nose tackle in a 3-4 defense at the next level. Mack has been a rotational player for the Aggies, but scouts have noticed that he has some physical talent. The junior should return for his senior year to improve and become an every-down player before going pro.

9/1/17: Mack notched just 25 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2016, but he played better than the numbers illustrate. Mack was a disruptive force on the interior of the defensive line as a freshman in 2015. He totaled 32 tackles with 9.5 for a loss on the season, but also was a bigger presence than the numbers indicate. Mack also was only a rotational player, but he should take on a bigger role as an upperclassman.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DT.php#ixzz53yFNrbfz

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DT.php#JUqwzJfogAywyRew.99

26_3815527.jpg

Round 6 - Daniel Carlson K

12/23/17: Carlson is 21-of-28 this year. Two misses came in the 40s, two were in the 50s, and one was in the 30-yard range. He is four-of-seven in the 50-yard range this year, with a long of 54, where he has been good from twice.

7/24/17: Carlson was 28-of-32 in 2016, including four field goals from over 50 yards away. His long for the year was 53 yards, and he connected from that distance twice. Carlson had a phenomenal season and was 4-of-7 in the 50-yard range and a perfect 6-for-6 in the 40-yard range.

Carlson was 23-for-27 (85 percent) as a sophomore in 2015. He made all 40 of his extra points. Carlson showed his strength with a long field goal of 56 yards. As a freshman, he was 18-of-24 (75 percent). Carlson hasn't missed an extra point entering his senior year.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018K.php#ixzz53yG7z0b8

26_4803344.jpg

Round 7 - Keishawn Bierria ILB

12/16/17: In 2017, Bierria has totaled 49 tackles with one sack, three tackles for a loss, a forced fumble and two passes batted. He recorded 70 tackles as a junior and 77 in his sophomore season.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php#ixzz53yKP0upS

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php#dxqk0PI2cbCYj6rG.99

40446b6e-8d26-11e7-be8b-9c8092b2403a-780x563.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Mitchell Trubisky, Chase Daniel
RB: Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Benny Cunningham
TE: Jimmy Graham, Adam Shaheen, Daniel Brown
RWR: Paul Richardson, Deontay Burnett
LWR: Cameron Meredith, Kevin White
SWR: Taylor Gabriel, Dontrelle Inman
LT: Charles Leno
LG: Josh Sitton, Kush
C: Cody Whitehair, Frank Ragnow
RG: Kyle Long, Morgan
RT: Connor Williams, Bobby Massie

RE: Bullard, RRH
NT: Eddie Goldman, Daylon Mack
LE: Akiem Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Leonard Floyd, Lamarr Houston
ILB: Nick Kwiatkoski, Jones
ILB: Danny Trevathan, Timu, Keishawn Bierria
OLB: Clelin Ferrell, Willie Young
CB: Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukumara, Cre'Von LeBlanc, Bryce Callahan, McMantis
FS: Eddie Jackson, Demps
SS: Adrian Amos, Deon Bush

K: Danny Carlson
P: Pat O'Donnell

Bigdaddybear

Liked Posts:
You have pretty decent mocks but I never understood why you have so much love for Massie or Unrien.... explain please????

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You have pretty decent mocks but I never understood why you have so much love for Massie or Unrien.... explain please????

I don't have much love for Massie but I'd like some depth if in case the rookie OT struggles. Mitch Unrien is an unsung hero against the run and he doesn't cost that much.

Bigdaddybear

Liked Posts:
Paying a lot for a second stringer in massie and I can see it with unrein

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Massie is a good player who has done well for us.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Why not just sign Wilson who knows the system? I don’t understand the love for Richardson. He has been average and asking for way to much for someone that just hit 700 yards. I think Meredith when healthy is much better WR with better speed, height and catching ability.

Isn’t Goldman a FA? You can’t lose him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why not just sign Wilson who knows the system? I don’t understand the love for Richardson. He has been average and asking for way to much for someone that just hit 700 yards. I think Meredith when healthy is much better WR with better speed, height and catching ability.

He had 700 yds and 6 TD's as the #3 target in Seattle.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They need speed.

Goldman is not a free agent.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So, you're still releasing guys that aren't under contract?

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Why does every mock think that Amukamara will re-sign with the Bears for money well below his market value of $8-10M per year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why does every mock think that Amukamara will re-sign with the Bears for money well below his market value of $8-10M per year.

He signed a one year $7mil deal last year. Was his play good enough for another team to invest twice that guaranteed $ money into him? I'm not sure. He doesn't create turnovers, he played pretty much just as well this year as the previous year in Jacksonville, he's one year older and still a pretty significant injury risk.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I don't see the Bears spending a 1st on a defensive player given where the offense is currently and the new coaching staff needing a new toy to play with.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Thanks for taking the time on this mock. I like the majority of it to be fair.

I'd consider Albert Wilson over Taylor Gabriel as he knows the Nagy system already and is also a FA.

Personally would like the Bears to go for Allen Robinson over Paul Richardson as long as they also go after a faster WR like Wilson or Gabriel. Maybe Gabriel is the better option in speed terms.

Marcel Ateman (someone Windy mentioned I) would work for me in the draft in the 4th round as he's also quick and this would make more sense if the Bears got Robinson in FA to provide 'the' bigger target threat on the outside. Another option in FA could be Brice Butler who'd likely be a cheaper option with potential upside.

I'd re-sign Kendall Wright over Dontrelle Inman. He can compete with Meredith in the slot with Robinson and Butler on the outside with White trying to make a comeback as well.

Chase Daniel or Mark Sanchez both 'meh' but reasonable back ups that won't cost much.

Jimmy Graham if he can actually stay fit would be great to provide a dual TE threat with Shaheen. I'd like that a lot but his fitness is key. Alternatively Dallas Goedert (TE) in the 5th?

I really like the Ferrell pick in the first round. He's my 'go to' if Chubb is off the board. I really think the Bears desperately need to address the OLB position. To that end I'd go after both Jeremiah Attaochu and Aaron Lynch in FA as well and would cut both McPhee and Young. I would also bring back Houston (though he won't get $4m a year and nor should he) who gave himself every chance of a new contract in the last few games of the season just past.

I doubt Williams makes it to the 2nd round. If he does fair enough though I think Andre Dillard (OT) could be someone to consider. As could Desmond Harrison. Both these could perhaps supplant Massie next season and fill the RT slot. Alternatively sign Hubbard (Steeler) whose done well and then you're free to go after a CB in the 2nd round. This ideally would likely be my preference. Someone to back up and then compete with Fuller and Amukamra and take over from the Cooper cut.

Nickell Robey-Coleman over Bryce Callahan. I like Callahan but his injury history isn't great.

I would try and re-sign (early) both Goldman and Amos as well. The Bears have a lot of players to re-sign but can quite easily get up to $80-100m in cap space.

Luke

Liked Posts:

yep, I think the Bears are going to have to offer prince a multi year deal in that 8-10m per year range to keep him. Its not a coincidence that the Bears D improved greatly this year due to the good cb play of Fuller and Prince. I suspect that they will have to tag Fuller and sign Prince for more years/money to keep them both here, that's how u obtain/keep FA's.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
yep, I think the Bears are going to have to offer prince a multi year deal in that 8-10m per year range to keep him. Its not a coincidence that the Bears D improved greatly this year due to the good cb play of Fuller and Prince. I suspect that they will have to tag Fuller and sign Prince for more years/money to keep them both here, that's how u obtain/keep FA's.

They can justify this by cutting Cooper. Put his money towards re-signing both of them and then look to draft another CB.

Svic

Liked Posts:
I don't see the Bears spending a 1st on a defensive player given where the offense is currently and the new coaching staff needing a new toy to play with.

They need defensive players. You need more pass rush since that died after Floyd went out. Both corners are going to be FA. All other OLB are old and innefective. Build a young core of pass rush. You either go OLB, CB or OL.

Liked Posts:

Yeah I agree. I would draft two young WR's & sign one in FA rather than the other way around. WR is not a cheap position to field, & I like the idea of drafting young WR's that fall under the rookie cap rather than paying for middle of the road WR's good WR money & Paying ood WRs great WR money on the FA market. Especially when numbers have been crunched by F.O. staticians that show that rookies from the draft contribute similar production similar to that of vets in FA.

Part of the reason I like Ridley, outside of his talent playing talents that I've mentioned in multiple posts, is that he comes from a program that tends to send players to thge NFL that are often well coached & smart players that often don't come with an overly lengthy learing curve. I definately would rather sign one vet WR, & draft two young WR's.

This isn't a bad mock though, I actually kind of like it.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Williams will not be there in the 2nd round but would be a nice value.

Liked Posts:
Williams will not be there in the 2nd round but would be a nice value.

Ya never know though. Every draft some touted names slide to lower rounds. In the 2017 draft I really thought that OT - Cam Robinson would go in the second half of round 1 & he slid to round 2. I know it's not something to bank on with a specific player but it does & will continue to happen in general.