SB Nation: Top 15 Anticipated QB Duels in 2019

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Question. How many times did the Cowboy "D" let the "O" down?
I remember one playoff game where Dak & the "O" kept taking the lead, only to have the "D" give it back to the opponent.

LOL at this nonsense. People are still praising Mitch for losing to the Eagles and saying that the "D" let him down in that game.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yes, I know how it's "portrayed" in the sports media. It's one of those "lazy, bad, football analysis" assumptions.
However, If one has ever played the game, one knows that DC's stop repetitive, non-creative "O" schemes not the Qb.

Sure there are Qb tendencies, but DC's look at overall "O" tendencies i.e. bad, repetitive, play-calling, running on 1st down, passing on 3rd etc. How many times do we sit in front of a game
and know the next play? Is it the Qb's fault or has the play-calling been figured out?

Another example is the Panther / Denver SB. The Panther "D" came with a different scheme than in the reg. season. However,
the "O" came in with the same old tired reg. season "O" scheme. This was extremely noticeable and the Panther "O" scheme was pretty much shut down ( i think they fired the Panther OC in the off-season) But some might say....' oh they caught up with Cam Newton'. Fact is they "caught up with " a poorly prepared , repetitive "O" scheme .

Another myth/ bad term / bad Qb analysis is "the Qb isn't tall enough to throw over the OL". Again, if a person ever player Qb, they know it's physically impossible to "throw over the OL". Unless one is Yao Ming. Instead, a Qb looks for passing lanes. With all this said, nothing against you. It's just when I hear these 2 specific football comments, to me, it's like scratching a chalkboard.
Makes good sense. Can't argue it's ultimately figuring out the O scheme. Still interrelated to players. The OC is partially limited to the talents of the players. I remember Buddy Ryan saying you scheme for the players you have. That's oversimplified too. You have 11 athletes on O, you can have them run any play you want. Still to a lesser extent, at the NFL level, it also matters what the players exceptional skills are. Like rushing Howard to the sideline is unexpected, but since he's slow, play still might not be successful.

Last edited:

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eli isn't better than many QBs anymore and should retire.

On what basis is Trubisky better than Cousins or Dak (and I'm not big on either of those guys, but they both had better numbers than MT)?
Won vs Lost record ? by hook or crook by dandy's feet , their feet, our flyers ??

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Makes good sense. Can't argue it's ultimately figuring out the O scheme. Still interrelated to players. The OC is partially limited to the talents of the players. I remember Buddy Ryan saying you scheme for the players you have. That's oversimplified too. You have 11 athletes on O, you can have them run any play you want. Still to a lesser extent, at the NFL level, it also matters what the players exceptional skills are. Like rushing Howard to the sideline is unexpected, but since he's slow, play still might not be successful.

Still interrelated to players. The OC is partially limited to the talents of the players. I remember Buddy Ryan saying you scheme for the players you have. That's oversimplified too.

Basically this is true.

When on either side of the ball ya' wanna create a scheme that works for the talent level ya' have. All the great HC's do this.

That's how the WCO ( west coast offense) came into existence
(when Bill Walsh was in Cinn.). Walsh's Qb ( a deep thrower) got injured. So Walsh had to go with Virgil Carter ( who had a weak arm). Walsh couldn't call deep pass plays anymore. So, he went short, quick, timing-based, pass plays that wouldn't expose Carter's weak arm.

Now on "D"....ya' wanna hit the wr's and the Qb to throw off the WCO timing . And mix in some zone blitzes. So were back to attacking the scheme.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Actually, Trubs being non "duel-worthy" works in our favor. We don't need a team coming in against us all jacked up to stop our "O".

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
run and shoot said:

Question. How many times did the Cowboy "D" let the "O" down?
I remember one playoff game where Dak & the "O" kept taking the lead, only to have the "D" give it back to the opponent.

LOL at this nonsense. People are still praising Mitch for losing to the Eagles and saying that the "D" let him down in that game.

You wanna LOL at the ppl. who say our "D" let Trubs down. Fact is
the "D" shut down the Eagle "O". It's our "O" who let the "D" down in that game. Our "D" held the Eagles to 10 pts. for the majority of the game ( and 3pts in the first half).
--------------------------
In Dak's case, they scored over 30pts in that playoff game and their "D" gave it all back.
(Green Bay Packers 34 Dallas 31) Sunday Jan 15, 2017

Last edited: