Scott Hairston officially signed; Tony Campana DFA's

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I guess boy blunder does it again. Lou Brock ring a bell anyone, hmmmmmmmm?

Campana is fast but I guess that doesn't matter when you aren't interested in winning games at the MLB level hmmmm
Mm?

Yes. Hmmmm?

Hmm.

Him.

Sent from MR Phone

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
So that means Campy is all but gone right? Or can he still be a Cub?

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
He can still be a Cub. If he clears waivers, he will be optioned down to Iowa.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll find out within ten days...if he clears waivers it'll be pretty quick.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why a lot of Cub fans say this is a bad move. Yes, he is one of the fastes players in the league. But it's not good if you can't bunt or get on base at a regiular basis. He could be a pinch runner, but that's pointless when you can have a better play on the team. And Hairston is by far the better baseball field.

He could make the team this year, but after this year or next, he won't. As you have Jackson, Soler, Almora, Sappelt, Szczur and Ha that are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Plus Hairston for the next 1.5 years.

He could have made the team this year if Soriano, DeJesus and/or Schierholtz are traded.

He was a fan favorite and all Cubs players like him too, but the MLB is all business. If you keep all favorites, your team won't be good and have the wrong people running the team.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat with some front office comments:

Tony Campana was designated for assignment on Sunday, but he could rejoin the team if he is not claimed by another team. Campana overcame cancer, made his debut near his hometown in Ohio, and is very popular among Cubs fans. He does have speed and the ability to create havoc on the bases. But he didn’t get on base enough — he has a .306 on-base percentage and .264 batting average.

“I think the biggest area where Tony needs to continue to work is finding a way to get on base where he can continue to use his speed,” Epstein said. “Regardless of what happens, we value his contributions, value his character and wish him the best.”

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Maybe they could actually give him a chance to start everyday instead of playing him once a week as a pinch hitter/runner or giving him 10 at bats per month. Kind of hard to put up numbers when you're on the bench all the time.

The Cubs wanted more power so they signed Scott Hairston but Hairston is behind Schierholtz for right field? Why?

Why not start Campana in center field and Hairston in right field? Campana doesn't have to lead off, he can bat eighth and Darwin Barney can lead off.

I love the Cubs but once another team signs Campana I hope he destroys the Cubs when ever he gets the chance to play against them. Maybe they should trade him to a team that will actually use him

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Maybe they could actually give him a chance to start everyday instead of playing him once a week as a pinch hitter/runner or giving him 10 at bats per month. Kind of hard to put up numbers when you're on the bench all the time.

The Cubs wanted more power so they signed Scott Hairston but Hairston is behind Schierholtz for right field? Why?

Why not start Campana in center field and Hairston in right field? Campana doesn't have to lead off, he can bat eighth and Darwin Barney can lead off.

I love the Cubs but once another team signs Campana I hope he destroys the Cubs when ever he gets the chance to play against them. Maybe they should trade him to a team that will actually use him

He.can't.hit.at.all. And he will never work the count because people are going to go right after him. All that speed is not worth anything when he runs back to the dugout when he just got out. Make all the excuses for him that you want. He is used as a pinch hitter/ pinch runner because that is what he is.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He.can't.hit.at.all. And he will never work the count because people are going to go right after him. All that speed is not worth anything when he runs back to the dugout when he just got out. Make all the excuses for him that you want. He is used as a pinch hitter/ pinch runner because that is what he is.

Exactly. Campana is the type of player that is a luxury for a contending team at the bottom of a roster(see Dave Roberts for the Red Sox in 2004). For a team trying to dig it's way out of awfulness and evaluate other more highly touted OF prospects in the coming 3-5 years..Campana doesn't really fit.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
TCR with a good rundown of the procedural issues:

http://www.thecubreporter.com/02112013/tony-campana-designated-assignment

Suggests that Campana likely gets claimed or traded. As I noted above the only clubs with spots wide open are ATL and WSN, both with legitimate reasons to need a speedy pinch-runner guy at some point. Hopefully it's either a trade or an outright to Iowa.