Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Aside from the four times he was sacked, Jay Cutler scrambled four times for 23 yards and probably took more hits than Bears coaches would prefer - but the quarterback doesn't have any plans to change his aggressive style.

"If I'm going to break the pocket if it's not there (an open receiver), I'm going to try to make something happen," Cutler said. "A couple times we only got three (receivers) out, and they dropped everybody (into coverage). It's going to be hard to find a hole out there."

Cutler, whose biggest run was an 11-yard pickup on a third-and-9 late in the third quarter, was asked how coach Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Mike Martz feel about his scrambling.

"They didn't say anything to me," Cutler said. "As long as I don't get hurt."

Despite the sacks and pressures, the offensive line on other occasions provided Cutler with enough protection to seek out secondary receivers or get the ball deep. Five of the six players who caught passes against the Lions all had 1 reception of at least 17 yards. The Bears averaged 9.3 yards per pass play to the Lions' 4.1.

"There were a few leaks there, (but) they played well," Cutler said. "(Center) Olin (Kreutz) did a great job of coordinating them and pointing out the Mike (middle linebacker) and sliding (the protection) when they had to. There are going to be some things we've got to clean up and got to change and got to correct, but overall we moved the ball well and we got the W, and that's the most important part."

Feeling the same: Coach Lovie Smith said he hadn't changed his mind about the decision to go for the touchdown on fourth-and-inches at the goal line rather than take a field goal, which would have given the Bears a 16-14 lead with nine minutes left in the game.

"Nothing has changed," Smith said. "Still feel good about it. First off, I went for it because I thought we could get it. I wanted the offense to see that I thought that. And we needed to get a touchdown, to keep it close like it ended up being there at the end. One big play really could have bad results for us. So felt good about it going for it then, and I feel good about it now. In those situations, probably will do the same thing again."

Matt Forte was stopped short of the goal line on fourth down, but he caught a game-winning TD pass two possessions later.

Job share: Rookie Major Wright played the third series and the final series in place of Chris Harris at free safety and could be in line for more playing time against the Cowboys on Sunday.

"Some positions on our football team, we rotate players," coach Lovie Smith said. "We went into the game thinking safety was one. We thought all three of those players (including strong safety Danieal Manning) would play winning football for us; (and we) still feel the same way about them. It's like the defensive end position. We rotated Israel Idonije and Mark Anderson, so some of the spots on our team we'll rotate a little bit based on thinking we can win with that guy."

Daily Herald | Scrambling Cutler wants 'to make something happen'

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Other notes from the same article:
After further review: Coach Lovie Smith said he likes the rule that negated an apparent TD catch by Calvin Johnson that would have given the Lions a 20-19 lead with 24 seconds left.

"I like all the rules that we agreed on," Smith said. "We all agreed on those rules. We've been on the other side of that rule before, so to me you can't really get too caught up into those kinds of things. They go both ways. You have rules; you go by them. The officials make calls based on that, cut and dried."

Bottom line: Thirteen-year veteran Olin Kreutz doesn't buy any talk of an ugly win.

"As veterans, the thing you understand is how hard it is to win in the NFL, and you just take it and you move on," the center said. "People can say whatever they want, but on Wednesday we'll be 1-0 and we'll be looking at Dallas."

By the numbers: The 463 yards of total offense the Bears generated Sunday was their most since Oct. 27, 1997 in a 36-33 Monday night overtime victory against the Dolphins in Miami. The last time they had more than 463 yards in a regulation game was Oct. 22, 1995 in a 35-32 win against the Oilers.

The defense allowed just 168 yards, the fewest by a Bears team since Oct. 8, 2006, when the Bills were held to 145 yards.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
BEAR WEATHER.

fo 'sho.

Status
Not open for further replies.