Should the NFL care what people do in their personal life?

bearsden

Liked Posts:
I have always gone back and fourth with this. If Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel wasnt getting in the car after drinking and passing drug test. (non alcohol) Should the NFL care? They both have substance abuse issues. I get that. but is it the NFL place to tell them, if you drink you cant play? Jim Irsay also have a alcohol issue but if he decided to have a drink, will they force him to step down? I in a way like that they are doing this but the other side of me think is it really any of their business.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have always gone back and fourth with this. If Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel wasnt getting in the car after drinking and passing drug test. (non alcohol) Should the NFL care? They both have substance abuse issues. I get that. but is it the NFL place to tell them, if you drink you cant play? Jim Irsay also have a alcohol issue but if he decided to have a drink, will they force him to step down? I in a way like that they are doing this but the other side of me think is it really any of their business.

The employer of a person can and sometimes will make that person follow rules that it deems makes sense.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think the NFL has a right to care, I don't think the public should care as much.

MIKETOUHY

Liked Posts:
In a way I do feel it's silly for the NFL to be that involved in players personal lives.

Then at the same time if they feel that it's interfering with their job such as missing practice because of these things then I think the NFL is justified in what they're doing.

I've always figured there've always been players that have been troublesome of if it's getting to be more of a problem then I can't blame the NFL for concerning themselves with it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Given what teams and the league invests in their players -- in terms of draft picks, time, money, marketing, and other resources -- they have an interest in keeping their players healthy and out of jail. So, yeah, it kind of is their business.

No one tells them they can't drink; only don't make a mockery of the game by being a complete dumbass (Manziel), actually show up to practice sober (also Manziel), and don't get into legal trouble while shitty (Manziel, anyone?). Yes, the Gordon vs. marijuana is silly, but it's still an illegal substance that could land them in jail if significant enough qualities are found or transported.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
Given what teams and the league invests in their players -- in terms of draft picks, time, money, marketing, and other resources -- they have an interest in keeping their players healthy and out of jail. So, yeah, it kind of is their business.

No one tells them they can't drink; only don't make a mockery of the game by being a complete dumbass (Manziel), actually show up to practice sober (also Manziel), and don't get into legal trouble while shitty (Manziel, anyone?). Yes, the Gordon vs. marijuana is silly, but it's still an illegal substance that could land them in jail if significant enough qualities are found or transported.

But they are telling Manziel he cannot drink period.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Fair or not, these NFL players also are seen as role models. I guess the NFL wants to see them act like a model citizen and stuff. Not really fair necessarily but given the attention and always bring in the spotlight, it's understandable why the NFL may want to be more involved directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the NFL has a right to care, I don't think the public should care as much.

I think that is pretty much true. Every family has warts in it and to cast judgement on an athlete can be very hypocritical.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

And the fact that the NFL continues to become more and more accessible to the fan, the players should expect this. Ignoring it is ridiculous. I feel no sympathy for them.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL has become the money making juggernaut it is today by marketing itself as family entertainment. To that end it also partners with various mainstream, pro-status quo charities and tries valiantly to show it doesn't really destroy players' brains. If it doesn't look like it is trying to weed out bad boys it risks it's market shrinking to UFC proportions. It's all bullshit IMO.

Zhang Liao

Liked Posts:
Caring is Ok. But as long as you are not a drug addicted serial killer you should have a right to have a personal life including some not so family friendly actions.

I mean this has gotten way to far: Observing Players, Player safety (flag Football?)

The sport goes in one direction and it is certainly not upwards.