First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Don't recall seeing this posted before, but if it has my apologies.

It's a great article on Andy Reid incorporating college spread concepts into his offense over the years. The reason it's relevant is because Nagy's obviously studied under Reid for years. Also, with the addition of a Chip Kelly spread disciple, Mark Helfrich, it's obvious that Nagy plans on continuing this combination of pro-style and spread offense with the Bears. Really good preview of some things we can expect going forward.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/5/16853446/afc-playoffs-influential-offense-andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-college-spread

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't think this was posted and was a nice read.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great read. I guess it's also good to have an OC who was pretty good in college with these concepts

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great read. I guess it's also good to have an OC who was pretty good in college with these concepts

Nah bro, didn't you hear? Helfrich is going to be paid millions to get Nagy's coffee and hold a clipboard on the sideline because Nagy said he will be calling plays.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Reading this, one thing that I kept thinking about was how featured this offense will feature the running back in the passing game. Interesting to see if Howard will be able to do some of the things this offense commands from its running backs.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trubisky is going to excel in this offense. I'm #excited.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
#SpreadCoast coming soon to Chicago

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not exactly. Nagy puts his players in positions to succeed. I wouldn't expect him to force square pegs into round holes if Howard proves he isn't improving at all as a pass catcher.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i expect to see a lot more cohen if howard doesnt improve as a pass catcher. the o will simply be to predictable if howard isnt a threat as a receiver. at least without both of them on the field at the same time. and thats actually what i expect to see a lot of.

well i actually expect to see a lot more cohen period since i think nagy will simply love incorporating him into the game plans and he was underutilized this past season. even if they arent on the field at the same time all that much theyll both see the field and be used like ingram/kamara.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you will see a ton if Cohen anyway.

The Chiefs use Hunt and the Saints use Kamara on legit downfield routes. Cohen is the guy you want running the wheel routes and those seam verticals.

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
I think you will see a ton if Cohen anyway.

The Chiefs use Hunt and the Saints use Kamara on legit downfield routes. Cohen is the guy you want running the wheel routes and those seam verticals.

Agreed. When the Bears hired this guy the first player I thought of benefiting from it was Cohen. Sure everyone else did too. Excited about the offense for the first time since 2010.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
I'm stoked for how much potential this offense has. Very curious though how well everyone, especially Biscuit, can digest the playbook by preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 2 years to get it all but still I have a lot of hope in this coaching staff teaching it and the players learning.

Not sure I've ever made that statement in all my 29 yrs.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm liking Charles London, a former WR coach assistant being the RB's coach. I'm hoping JH comes out next year with some softer hands and more opportunities to catch the ball besides only 32 targets when he was in the game 90% of the time. Maybe Tarik won't be doubled all the time if there are more threats to actually catch a ball...

And hey, what a concept, have the guy who's actually seeing the defense line up call the optioned play. Pederson puts a ton on Wentz and I'm sure Nagy/Helfrich will put a ton on Trubisky. No more, run into the 8 guys on defense or pass when their rushing 3. Let the offense dictate the pace of the drive, not the defense.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hub's take:

The Andy Reid school of offense is a modified West Coat scheme with a nice run, pass balance but a lot of short throws to running backs in space considered to be as much running plays as passes.

What Nagy brought to Reid’s schemes was the big play, sometimes down the field, but also often with receivers crossing in the middle of the field or hitting them on quick slants with as much YAC as any team in the league.

Under Nagy's tutelage and play-calling for at least a portion of the season Alex Smith had his career best average yards per pass at 8.1, completion percentage and passer rating this year.

He was able to make Smith more efficient and more of a big play quarterback at the same time, and Mitch Trubisky is Alex Smith with a bigger arm.

The Chiefs also ran a lot of reverses and fake reverses, and probably used the jet sweep with Tyreek Hill as much or more than any team in the league.

Jordan Howard is a very different style of back than Jamaal Charles, Spencer Ware or Kareem Hunt. But he could be even more of an asset to Nagy than his Chiefs backs were because now he can pound away inside, force a defense to respect Howard and then explode outside with his jet sweeps and short passes to Tarik Cohen in the Hill role.

I don't know exactly what the Bears have in Adam Shaheen but it took Travis Kelce a couple years to explode, and he came into his own under Nagy who understood how to feature him. Kelce is definitely faster than Shaheen and more athletic but with his size Shaheen can do a better job of "posting up" defenders and I'd expect Nagy to make it a priority to get the ball to Shaheen on the move in the middle of the field.

Perhaps most importantly the Bears will not run a spread or read option offense, but Nagy is certain after bringing in Mark Helfrich to add a ton of run/pass option plays for Trubisky with the emphasis being on throwing it whenever possible, but still getting him on the move a ton more than Dowell Loggains did and making sure the defense has to respect his running ability and encouraging him to take off whenever he sees significant green in front of him.

It will be important to keep Cohen in the change of pace running back role and while you can never have too many big, fast, athletic receivers, expect the Bears to prioritize acquiring at least one Hill, Brandin Cooks, Ted Ginn, Jr. type who is more fast than big and can take the top off the defense at any time.A lot of what Nagy will do will be about creating space and then filling it with big play, explosive athletes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My hope is that no one knows what to expect from Nagy's O. I do like that Nagy had this on his resume and seemed to do a better job of mixing it up in his play calling than Reid and that he hired an OC that isn't a clone.

My concerns with Nagy are small. One is that he is an emotional guy which is good to get guys fired up but not as good in big moments. May be a silly concern on my part and even if there early, something that settles down with experience.