So yeah.... Arrieta.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ranked Baseball America #67 prospect after the 2008 season
Ranked Baseball America #99 prospect after the 2009 season

Then gets called up and is terrible with the O's with an ERA over 5.

His 2 outings with the cubs thus far:
STL - 7 IP 2 hits 0 runs 2 walks 7 K's
MIL - 6 IP 2 hits 1 run(solo hr) 3 walks 2 K's

Ridiculously small sample size but it's encouraging especially when you consider what they've done with guys like Wood and Feldman. For what it's worth, back then they were projecting him as a #3/4. Hopefully next season he can lock down the #5 slot giving them Shark, Jackson, Wood and himself as the back of the rotation and only needing a front of the rotation starter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is in the mix. I'd say he has a spot locked as of right now. Next S/T another story. But knowing this admin he will be one of the 5.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has been described as having great stuff, but inconsistent.

He looked very good yesterday, and his ceiling is high for a guy picked up as part of a package for Feldman.

I hope he finds the consistency because he can be a huge find if he is middle of rotation starter. Very pleased with him so far.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I joined a Orioles message board right after the trade to find out what they thought of both Arrieta and Strop. The consensus was that Arrieta was a fan-favorite that was drafted by the Orioles, showed flashes of brilliance, but never could put it together consistently. Strop was pretty much described as a poor man's Marmol. Could be electric, could be garbage. They were all pretty sure the O's won the trade, but some did say that a change of scenery and some new voices could do both Arrieta and Strop wonders.

Went there again yesterday to see what they were saying...And it was a lot of "Feldman is garbage (His ERA is over 5 for Balt, and hasn't won since Jul 22), but Arrieta and Strop weren't going to get any better here..." Then a discussion on whether or not anyone in their system knows how to develop pitchers properly.

Arrieta at one time considered really likely to be a #2 pitcher with a high level of success. Getting anyone w/ upside for Feldman was a good move.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't have high hopes for Arrieta. Inconsistency is the flaw in his game. I would love for him to put it together, but I don't really have any expectations out of him. Has the stuff, can he do it on a regular basis? That remains to be seen.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Obviously too early to tell on either of these guys, but if they both keep performing like they have been so far, the Cubs will have gotten one hell of a return for Feldman. If Arrieta turns out to be a number four or five on this team, a little inconsistency in his performance would not be out of the norm anyway.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
seems like the deals made the last 2 months have gone pretty good so far..

even the kid ( ivan pineyro 21 YO ) they got in the scott hairston trade has been solid so far in daytona..

5 starts 2 - 0 29 IP .96 WHIP 1.86 ERA 2 BB 23 K

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As for Arrieta, I will take a guy whose value is down due to inconsistency vs. a guy who simply doesn't have great stuff any day of the week.

He will be a steal.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was a steal and look what Pedro Strop has done. Been the Cubs best relief pitcher since he came over. 1 bad start and other thna that, no runs. I say he's in the mix to be the closer and Arrieta the 4th or 5th starter next year. I think the Cubs should trade Stark, but won't because the won't get what they want.

To start next season I say:
1) Stark
2) Wood
3) Jackson
4) Arrita/Hughes
5) Arrieta/Hughes

I doubt the Cubs trade for a front liner starter this off-season, but I say mid-season is a possibility or next off-season.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can Arrieta be a steal when he's barely pitched? :confused:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can Arrieta be a steal when he's barely pitched? :confused:

Just for him providing good starts and a good 4th/5th starter he is. Especially for what the Cubs gave up for him, a pitcher that was a FA and a player that had no real position on the team. Plus the Cubs got Pedro Strop, so yes its a steal either way.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He was a steal and look what Pedro Strop has done. Been the Cubs best relief pitcher since he came over. 1 bad start and other thna that, no runs. I say he's in the mix to be the closer and Arrieta the 4th or 5th starter next year. I think the Cubs should trade Stark, but won't because the won't get what they want.

To start next season I say:
1) Stark
2) Wood
3) Jackson
4) Arrita/Hughes
5) Arrieta/Hughes

I doubt the Cubs trade for a front liner starter this off-season, but I say mid-season is a possibility or next off-season.

Two things.

1 - He's not a "major steal"...he's a guy w/ upside that was really struggling w/ his former team. I liked the trade then, and I like it more now, but let's slow down on how big a steal it was.

2 - Wtf is "Stark"? Do you mean Shark? Samardzija?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Two things.

1 - He's not a "major steal"...he's a guy w/ upside that was really struggling w/ his former team. I liked the trade then, and I like it more now, but let's slow down on how big a steal it was.

2 - Wtf is "Stark"? Do you mean Shark? Samardzija?

But pops, Feldman was bought to be traded. Anything of value for a guy who was gonna be gone after this season is a steal in my book.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Strop alone was worth Feldman. Arreta is just house cash.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
The gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Feldman.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk 2

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
It has been a great trade for the Cubs thus far. Arrieta definitely has potential to be better than a 4/5 guy. I mean he hits 99 at times and has great stuff. Inconsistency can be a huge flaw but a change of scenery can make that problem go away and we have seen that in the past. Coaching and development may be much better with the Cubs than the Orioles and that may make all the difference in the world. I'm glad to see he's been given a shot to finish the year. Aside from that one disaster outing from Strop when he gave up the 5 ER he has been terrific for the Cubs. And Guerrier for Marmol was such an incredible trade I still can't believe it happened. Even if he is injured the fact that we got someone who can walk for Marmol, let alone someone who was effective amazes me.

Rusin deserves a shot as well. I think Arrieta has a brighter future but Rusin has pitched very well thus far.