Some mocks now with Newsome at 20..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The last 2 weeks Bears had alot of OTs in mock drafts. Last week CBS had all 4 mocks with us at OT. That sentiment has simmered quite a bit. Could just be the usual misinformation this time in the draft or maybe some info slipped, you just never know this time of year.

I don't think anyone would be very excited with a CB at 20, especially considering we cut Fuller in the offseason, but here is the recap.

-Grades out well at 6.40.
-Good cover skills, also shows versatility to play zone and tackles well. Good all around versatile corner.
-Deflects passes well and challenges the receiver, very good incompletion rate in coverage.
-Negatives are some injury history in college and he doesn't produce INT's.

I think we would hear boos from Chicago if this pick were to happen. Probably the 3rd CB off the board. The upside is we would have 2 corners that could play man, solidifies depth at CB, and it would allow our pass rushers to get after the QB on 3rd down. He grades out well enough to deserve the pick.

Personally, I think these are just mocks that are looking at team needs and taking what they feel is the BPA. My guess is that Pace holds off on picking a CB and tries to find a diamond in the rough. DBs are his strong suit and he did pretty well drafting the 7th CB overall last year who outplayed several players drafted ahead of him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its not the worst idea, you can never have too many good defensive backs, but man it is underwhelming for the Bears to shoot themselves in the foot by totally bungling the Kyle Fuller situation in every respect and then desperately covering for that fuck-up by forgoing an offensive tackle. Also reeks of Ryan Pace padding his resume with another successful draft pick that conveniently plays a position Ryan Pace kicks ass at evaluating. But that latter criticism is a little unfair, its not necessarily a bad thing to play to your strengths and drafting best player available is a better long-term strategy than clawing for tackles and quarterbacks fruitlessly year after year.

I don't think this is the direction the Bears will go but I won't be entirely surprised if he does go cornerback. I think cornerback is more likely than offensive tackle, but ultimately Pace is going to try to avenge Mitchell Trubisky and go quarterback early.

msadows

Liked Posts:
First year in a while in the draft I have no clue what the bears will do at all.

Newsome is a very real possibly. Trading up and down also is.

The good thing, I guess, about having a ton of holes to fix is that you can take BPA at #20 and not reach. If all the qb's are gone, should be a lot of talent at CB/WR/OT.

I however would not be very happy with defense at #20. If they were just gonna use their first rounder on a CB, then dumbass pace shoulda just kept fuller and cut jimmy graham.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
First year in a while in the draft I have no clue what the bears will do at all.

Newsome is a very real possibly. Trading up and down also is.

The good thing, I guess, about having a ton of holes to fix is that you can take BPA at #20 and not reach. If all the qb's are gone, should be a lot of talent at CB/WR/OT.

I however would not be very happy with defense at #20. If they were just gonna use their first rounder on a CB, then dumbass pace shoulda just kept fuller and cut jimmy graham.
Or if the plan was to cut Kyle Fuller all along to be a little more bold with the plan to utilize those cap savings beyond the likes of Andy Dalton, Mario Edwards Jr. and Cairos Santos. The argument to cut Kyle Fuller was actually a really good one, the way they used the money was bewilderingly stupid.

But then again if the guy they draft is a stud you'll be happy they did it two years from now.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Injury concerns noted, I think Caleb Farley will be a stud. Insane speed, length and production.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
There are 2 good CB's that may be there at 20. Possibly Farley and most likely Newsome. I can't see kicking the can down the road on rebuilding this offense any longer. We've witnessed this franchise have a strong defensive unit and a pathetic offense for ions. Trade up, trade down, but for God's sake make an investment in the offense now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm good with CB/OT being the first 2 picks for us, if we don't trade up or down for a QB. If R.Bateman is there at #20 then i'm good with taking him as well but WR is another deep class like it was last year so i'd rather wait. I like Newsome to so can't say i'd be mad with that pick.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I know its a really important position with a serious scarcity of guys who can play it well, but for some reason no position elicits less excitement out of me than cornerback. Especially in the draft. It just feels so boring, I have a huge personal bias against it even though I know its not a bad plan.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a bit of a wild card this year. I don't think anyone has a clue what they will do. Massive trade up for QB? Possible. Trade down? Possible? Stay put at 20 and go OT/CB? Most likely.

Depends on how the draft falls. Mock drafts are just looking at the Bears needs and see that a CB is likely a bigger need this season with Leno already penciled in at LT.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read an article today which talked about 7 names the Bears could draft at 20... Newsome was one of them including Farley (sp?), three OT types, and two Wr's. It depends a lot on who's taken (duh) and when (double duh).

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Great posts guys.

I am really hoping for a trade down in this draft because I think that helps us take a shot at a 2nd round QB and still fills out some needs at CB, OT and possibly WR.

FYi there are 14 CBs this year that grade above a 6.2 versus 10 last year, so there will still be players available later on.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a bit of a wild card this year.

Yep, I am glued to the TV next Thursday for sure, all the way to pick 32. With the lack of tape, evaluations are going to be all over the place and there are going to players some team have in the late first that some teams have in the 3rd or 4th, and vice versa. If not a big trade up for a QB early by some team, I think at the end of round 1 we will definitely see some teams move back up to grab a player they really like.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yep, I am glued to the TV next Thursday for sure, all the way to pick 32. With the lack of tape, evaluations are going to be all over the place and there are going to players some team have in the late first that some teams have in the 3rd or 4th, and vice versa. If not a big trade up for a QB early by some team, I think at the end of round 1 we will definitely see some teams move back up to grab a player they really like.
Does this lack of tape impact the evaluation of defense more than offense? It seems this draft is the most top heavy offensive draft I've ever seen. Surely there are going to be some stud defensive players falling into the second and third round because of this too. Most mock drafts have no defensive lineman in the 1st. Im thinking that will leave good value there later on.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I read an article today which talked about 7 names the Bears could draft at 20... Newsome was one of them including Farley (sp?), three OT types, and two Wr's. It depends a lot on who's taken (duh) and when (double duh).
Yup, it's a crapshoot at this point. All the pundits are just pushing out content because it's fun to speculate but nobody has a clue outside of the top 5 - maybe top 10. There's always 1 or 2 big trades and usually a couple surprise picks. My top 3 scenarios going into it in the first:

1. Trade up for Fields if he does slide outside top 5 (highly unlikely imo)
2. Stay put at 20 and draft OT
3. Move back and take CB round 1 and OT round 2

I could see Bills, Chiefs and TB all wanting to move up to 20. They are all in win now mode and could get a starter there at a position of need. Should net the Bears another 2nd. Bears could then knock out 3/4 of OT/CB/WR/QB in the first two rounds.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
If they draft D in the 1st, it proves they have learned nothing. Build the O for once. Bears need to improve the Oline and QB, those are the biggest needs. Don’t overthink it, improve the O

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup, it's a crapshoot at this point. All the pundits are just pushing out content because it's fun to speculate but nobody has a clue outside of the top 5 - maybe top 10. There's always 1 or 2 big trades and usually a couple surprise picks. My top 3 scenarios going into it in the first:

1. Trade up for Fields if he does slide outside top 5 (highly unlikely imo)
2. Stay put at 20 and draft OT
3. Move back and take CB round 1 and OT round 2

I could see Bills, Chiefs and TB all wanting to move up to 20. They are all in win now mode and could get a starter there at a position of need. Should net the Bears another 2nd. Bears could then knock out 3/4 of OT/CB/WR/QB in the first two rounds.

THIS. #2 only if they get a good OT, not some T who projects as a Guard. Other threads on that topic.