Source: Bears not pursuing Chargers' Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

There is no question Vincent Jackson would fit in the Bears' offense. But for now, the Chargers receiver is not an option.

A source familiar with the Bears' thinking told the Tribune on Wednesday the team has no plans to pursue a trade for Jackson at this time. Strings attached to Jackson -- compensation and a new contract -- are factors the Bears do not want to burden themselves with a month before training camp.

The Bears, like many teams, would love to have a 6-foot-5, 230-pound target such as Jackson to throw to, particularly in the red zone. However, Jackson is unhappy with the one-year, $3.268 million tender extended to him by the Chargers and wants a deal closer to the four-year, $47.5 million contract the Dolphins gave Brandon Marshall -- a price tag way too high for the Bears.Miami surrendered two second-round picks for Marshall, and Bears general manager Angelo doesn't want to get in the habit of giving away high draft picks. The Bears gave away two first-round picks and a third-rounder for Jay Cutler and a second-round pick for the late Gaines Adams.

Jackson's tender was reduced to a base salary of $583,000 after the restricted free agent failed to sign by the June 15 deadline.

ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted that the Bears are one of the possible trade partners along with the Redskins and Seahawks. The 27-year-old Jackson is a one-time Pro Bowl selection who has posted consecutive 1,000-yard receiving efforts the last two seasons. The Bears haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Marty Booker in 2002.

New Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz said he guaranteed the receivers would be the strength of the team, so bringing in Jackson might make the rest of the receivers wonder if Martz's words were exaggerated. And Angelo said he was content to take the current roster into training camp.

"If we take this football team into camp and into the season, I'm fine with it,'' Angelo told the team's Web site at the beginning of the month. "We've built some pretty good teams in the past, and I like this one. And I feel I'm speaking for everyone that's associated with it.

"We'll continue to look as we always do because it is about competition. But I don't feel we have a need to do anything. We have a lot of confidence in the players we have. I have a lot of confidence in our coaches and how they coach and teach. We must continue to develop as a team, and that happens over a period of time."

More...

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Martz is a one year project. If he succeeds, we will resign him (most likely).

Why not do the same with Jackson. Take on his 1-year tender and extend him to what he wants if he's performing?!

This is stupid...Jackson, Bennett, Aromashodu, and Hester is a lot better than Bennett, Aromashodu, Hester, and Iglesias/Davis

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
The reason they're not going after him is because the Chargers want a lot for him if they trade him, he wants a contract higher than Brandon Marshall's (Though Marshall's contract has little guaranteed), and he's not a good fit in Mike Martz's offense.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Me thinks it's time for a bump here....

I'd <3 Jackson on this team...

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Why not do the same with Jackson. Take on his 1-year tender and extend him to what he wants if he's performing?!

This is stupid...Jackson, Bennett, Aromashodu, and Hester is a lot better than Bennett, Aromashodu, Hester, and Iglesias/Davis

Vincent Jackson is holding out from playing under his restricted free agent tender, if you want him to play for your team you are going to have to offer a huge contract. San Diego is also looking for very high compensation for Jackson, they are not giving him away or even settling for market value. Also keep in mind Jackson is still serving a suspension and would not see the field until week five. There is just too much red tape to get through before Jackson actually makes a contribution on the field and is not worth it for the Bears right now. We traded our last two drafts for Jay Cutler and even though Jerry Angelo can't draft we need to attempt to rebuild some positions through the next few drafts.

Also I am just curious as to why you did not include Johnny Knox as one our receivers in your post yet you named Juaquin Iglesias who is not even on the team?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Exactly, why disincluding Knox.

Also, why would you trade a 2nd or 3rd whatever it is they are asking in that range for a player you admit to saying, oh we can let him go if he doesn't succeed. You just wasted a pick and time of players who are on the roster now were in camp learning the offense and QB while Jackson comes in week 5 finally able to play and gives you admittedly questionable performance in the situation.

JA said he isn't in the business of giving up any more future picks. Although he said that before he put in the supplementary 7th round pick up of Harvey Unga who got on IR... but that actually has more justification, now they have him essentially for is it a 6th or 7th next year they loss.. and they get a HB power back type of player who could of been a 5th rounder in the actual draft next year. Jackson you may get something out of him or may not for 12 games and it could be it.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know that I'm not impressed w/ our WRs...there's a reason Forte and Olsen catch more balls than any of our WRs...Jackson wouldn't be perfect...but I'd like seeing him out there w/ Knox and Aromashodu over Hester.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Poor Devin Hester..another Bears player ruined by Bears greed.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Give away draft picks? lol

I'll take V-Jax over Angelo's fuck ups in the draft.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has anyone here realized that teams desperate for a WR of Jackson's talent aren't interesting in acquiring him for his high price? V-Jax wants 5 years,$50 mil w/ $30 mil guaranteed, and the Chargers want draft picks for him. There's no team in the league that will meet the Chargers and Jackson's asking price.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Give away draft picks? lol

I'll take V-Jax over Angelo's fuck ups in the draft.
^ Not this.

Listen people. The Bears aren't good. They need all the draft picks they can to build this team over again.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
The reason they're not going after him is because the Chargers want a lot for him if they trade him, he wants a contract higher than Brandon Marshall's (Though Marshall's contract has little guaranteed), and he's not a good fit in Mike Martz's offense.
agreed, we do not need jackson for what it will cost us..

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
I hope no one was so dumb to think the Bears would go after him or any other high paid player. The spent all the money they are going to on the 3 on day one thats why we have no O line

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Give away draft picks? I'll take V-Jax over Angelo's fuck ups in the draft.

You cannot have that kind of mentality. Yes Angelo has a poor track record drafting high round players but he still has picked some players that have worked out. The value of the pick does not change just because we have someone incompetent as our general manager, I mean even someone like Ozzie Newsome could pick a bust. We need to start infusing high round drafts picks into a lot of our positions, like the offensive line and receiving core.

Also with any luck Jerry Angelo will not be around long enough to make our 2011 draft selections.

regoob2

Liked Posts:
I'll take

Green
Baldwin
Jones
Floyd

for 5yrs/$10-15mil, over Jackson for $50mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.