Speed WR

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love Reagor but he really stunk it up at the combine considering what was expected of him going into it. Still like him though cause i don't think the combine should be used for what a player does when on the football field.

No he didnt. His explosion stats were some of the best in recent times as posted one of highest broad jumps and vertical. His vert for example means that technically he can highpoint a ball at same point as Mims despite being 4 inches shorter.

It was just the 40 that was disappointing which is actually good for us as probably no chance he would fall to 43 if his 40 time was under 4.4. He was basically having one of the best combines until the 40 so ended up being more mixed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If you trade down. Trade down with 50. We need an at least one impact player in 2nd round IMO.

That's how i was feeling as well up until the Foles trade and giving up that 4th round comp pick. IMO this is a really deep draft for multiple position which just so happen to be positions of need for the Bears and i feel with either trade down we can still make sure one of the picks we get in return are still in the 2nd round and can still get impact players throughout the 2nd round. Add 3rd and/or 4th and 5th round picks to the later 2nd rounder and we're doing pretty well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No he didnt. His explosion stats were some of the best in recent times as posted one of highest broad jumps and vertical. His vert for example means that technically he can highpoint a ball at same point as Mims despite being 4 inches shorter.

It was just the 40 that was disappointing which is actually good for us as probably no chance he would fall to 43 if his 40 time was under 4.4. He was basically having one of the best combines until the 40 so ended up being more mixed.

I'm not so sure that's true and pretty sure he didn't do as good as expected in other drills. I think he shit the bed in the 3 cone or something like that.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Gabriel Davis is the WR out of UCF that i've been hearing about to be used as a speed WR.

Davis had a great year. He consistently gets open deep but he’s not really a burner. He beat Stanford’s top corner for a TD when UCF waxed them in Orlando. The Bears did meet with Davis. He’ll be a great value if he falls to the 5th round.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure that's true and pretty sure he didn't do as good as expected in other drills. I think he shit the bed in the 3 cone or something like that.

40 - Tied for 15th
Bench - Tied for 9th
Vert - Tied for 2nd
Broad - 2nd
3 Cone - Not a lot of guys ran but his was not great at 7.36
20 yard shuttle - Middle of the pack.

So year going by that not the greatest 3 Cone or 20 yard but his explosion numbers still off the charts so I would still call that a mixed bag as opposed to stinking it up. Would be a bigger issue if he looked stiff on type but pretty fluid on tape.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny how you guys want to replace a RB who in the NFL had a better season than the one year this guy just put up....

I like him too, but I don't think we need to draft a cohen replacement. That's just dumb. Gibson isn't near as good a route runner, not as near as elusive in his hips either. Tarik is literally like a freaking human joystick, gibson is no where near that. Tarik has better vision too.

Go compare tarik's college scouting report to gibsons. Tarik blows him out the water.....

Guy had one bad year due to the fact he got superior coverage to 2018 and everyone is freaking out calling him a bust. Busts dont get 1.2k yards in a season, 700+ yards as a running back. He's fine.

Cohen has bad vision and appears to be afraid of contact at times. It was shown in many of draft Dr Phil's videos last year...in the defense of Mitch none the less.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Mims and Reagor would both be exciting options. Reagor for his size is excellent at high pointing the ball too in addition to that speed you see on tape.

This

If one or both are there at 43 they have to be the pick.

The wr we have suck....I almost died laughing at someones suggestion about trading wims for a pick..who the fuk wants him?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This

If one or both are there at 43 they have to be the pick.

The wr we have suck....I almost died laughing at someones suggestion about trading wims for a pick..who the fuk wants him?

Depends on who else is there but those two should definitely be right there at the top of the list for us especially Mims. I've seen Cesar Ruiz (IOL Michigan) dropping right around that #43 pick in a lot of drafts and not sure we could pass him up if we still haven't filled RG yet in free agency. I've also noticed Zach Baun (Edge Wisconsin) dropping out of the 1st round lately in some mocks and i would give serious thought about drafting him at #43 even after signing R.Quinn and with me really wanting us to upgrade at WR2 with some speed on the outside. If Mims, Reagor, Ruiz and Baun are there i'm first seeing if i can trade down no more then 3 spots so i can still get one, but if not then that's a tough decision for me. All i know for sure is Reagor would be 4th for me but also wouldn't be mad at all if he was the pick.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah you can't be sending ARob on go routes because then who is going to ear up targets underneath. He will go deep from time to time but he is needed in the short and intermediate game. As he is the No 1, it also makes it harder for teams to double him in the short and intermediate game as it is easier to devote a S to a guy going deep.

The goal is having someone else for the D to worry about that can threaten the top of the D. That was suppose to be Gabs but the combination of his small size and Trubs inaccuracy makes that difficult. So you need a WR with ability to get deep and some ability to go up and get the ball to cover up for some of Mitch's inaccuracy. That is a guy with Mims with his combination of speed and height or Reagor with his combination of speed and vertical.

You mean like Jimmy, Graham, the guy they just signed? Or Tarik Cohen...the fucking RB who had 720 yards 2 years ago.

Everyone is comparing one season of bears football like its his career. Allen was the explosive downfield reciever in Jax. So far he hasn't had the chance to do that here because of a lot of reasons.

I think we're fine at WR. Anyone who wants one is just trying to draft a sexy pick.

We legit have 5 of them already on the roster. There is zero chance they move on from ridley or wims.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Reagor literally runs the same fucking 40 as Allen Robinson and Anthony Miller. He's the same height as Anthony Miller.

This shit is just ridiculous.

You get a better QB and you get a better oline and we get a more explosive downfield passing attack with the current WR's we have. Getting a speed WR isn't going to magically make mitch learn how to make throws or teach the oline to block for 4 seconds.

You're more than welcome to watch the all 22 and see how often nagy literally sent his WR's, ALL HIS WR's on 5 yard curls because mitch can't throw.

I guess getting Reagor fixes that? lol

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Um no, I don't trust JG or our TEs to be a consistent threat underneath so for me that role goes to ARob. Further, ARob ran a 4.6 40 at the combine which is machine timed. People historically run faster at Pro Days because of hand times. It is quite obvious if you watch the tape Reagor looks far faster on tape than ARob did coming out of college. That 40 time was also before ACL surgery so we don't know how fast ARob is now. The reality is he is more of a back shoulder or outjump you deep threat as opposed to a run past you deep threat. Part of reason Trubs developed a habit of throwing backshoulder deep so much. He is rarely going to be able to run under a ball, catch it in stride and continue towards end zone.

Reagor is different because he is fast enough to run past you on film and able to outjump you with a 42 inch vert. You are free to believe otherwise but no I want a speed WR. No need to get bent out of shape because people have different ideas about the team. More than one way to skin a cat and some of us prefer a real speed threat. To each his/her own.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Um no, I don't trust JG or our TEs to be a consistent threat underneath so for me that role goes to ARob. Further, ARob ran a 4.6 40 at the combine which is machine timed. People historically run faster at Pro Days because of hand times. It is quite obvious if you watch the tape Reagor looks far faster on tape than ARob did coming out of college. That 40 time was also before ACL surgery so we don't know how fast ARob is and the reality is he is more of a back shoulder or outjump you deep threat as opposed to a run past you deep threat.

Reagor is different because he is fast enough to run past you on film and able to outjump you with a 42 inch vert. You are free to believe otherwise but no I want a speed WR. No need to get bent out of shape because people have different ideas about the team. More than one way to skin a cat and some of us prefer a real speed threat. To each his/her own.

Plenty of WR's run slower 40's at the combine. I understand they run faster at pro days, but Arob was predicted and tested to run in the 4.5's, which is prob closer to his true speed, which a ton of top downfield targets have had in the past and current. He isn't a burner, like you just said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. He's shown in the past he's a downfield explosive threat. He wins by route running and jump balls, either way he still wins.

You want a speed WR, and that's fine. I'm not saying i dont WANT one, what I'm saying is if you have a decent QB and an oline that gives you time, and a favorable coverage(learn to run the ball nagy), then you don't essentially NEED one. Arob and Miller are fine enough and have showed it during their careers.

Safety, CB#2, backup edge, RG, and tackle are much more urgent needs than getting a WR#2. That's what we call a luxury, especially when you just drafted a WR who was projected to be a 2nd round pick just last year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'd rather sign demarcus robinson if he comes cheap than draft a WR tbh. He knows the system and can contribute immediately.

The most explosive WR in the NFL to me is Tyreek Hill, and Arob in 2015 had a higher Yard per reception than he's ever had in his career.

I personally feel we are good at WR. I guess we'll see what pace thinks.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Not like they were getting targets and passes were errant. Coaches didnt want Ridley om field, Wimms dropped passes he should have caught including in end zone and Miller was MIA for half the season.

They all had their own issues regardless of Trubs.

Agreed that they had their issues, but I don't think WR is as big of a need as it seems. Marginally better QB play would make our entire WR group look better imo.

I'd rather spend high draft picks on offensive line, but to each his own.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Agreed that they had their issues, but I don't think WR is as big of a need as it seems. Marginally better QB play would make our entire WR group look better imo.

I'd rather spend high draft picks on offensive line, but to each his own.

Also, like I said, hard to throw deep when you don't have time to throw deep.

Also, like I said, hard to throw deep when you have teams playing nickel/dime defense a ton and taking away that deep option the majority of the time.

So now when you do get time, and you do get a favorable coverage, you have a QB who can't throw and accurate lob. Kinda sad that Mitch makes blake bortles look like a god.

I'm 100% down for drafting Guard and OT with the 2 second round picks. Not sexy but both guys could start this year. The amount of contribution that a 2nd round WR would make could be minimal considering we still got wims and ridley.

Shit if you want someone to just run a 9 route we got patterson.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Also, like I said, hard to throw deep when you don't have time to throw deep.

Also, like I said, hard to throw deep when you have teams playing nickel/dime defense a ton and taking away that deep option the majority of the time.

So now when you do get time, and you do get a favorable coverage, you have a QB who can't throw and accurate lob. Kinda sad that Mitch makes blake bortles look like a god.

I'm 100% down for drafting Guard and OT with the 2 second round picks. Not sexy but both guys could start this year. The amount of contribution that a 2nd round WR would make could be minimal considering we still got wims and ridley.

Shit if you want someone to just run a 9 route we got patterson.

You're right, two offensive linemen in the 2nd is as unsexy as it gets.

I would absolutely be okay with an OG and OT in the 2nd, though. Let's get a dominant offensive line for the next decade and call it a day.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Plenty of WR's run slower 40's at the combine. I understand they run faster at pro days, but Arob was predicted and tested to run in the 4.5's, which is prob closer to his true speed, which a ton of top downfield targets have had in the past and current. He isn't a burner, like you just said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. He's shown in the past he's a downfield explosive threat. He wins by route running and jump balls, either way he still wins.

You want a speed WR, and that's fine. I'm not saying i dont WANT one, what I'm saying is if you have a decent QB and an oline that gives you time, and a favorable coverage(learn to run the ball nagy), then you don't essentially NEED one. Arob and Miller are fine enough and have showed it during their careers.

Safety, CB#2, backup edge, RG, and tackle are much more urgent needs than getting a WR#2. That's what we call a luxury, especially when you just drafted a WR who was projected to be a 2nd round pick just last year.

The problem with the jumpball guys is they rarely then end up in the end zone because they are typically are not catching the ball in stride and running away from the CB.

A WR can contribute whether they are starting or not. You draft a T and they are useless if they dont beat out Leno/Massie that first year. I agree RG is bigger need but still expect us to sign one in FA. So would like to get one with a pick other than 43.

S is a need but you can get one without burning a high pick.

2nd CB I think they have been adding a lot of bodies there so think a role player there is fine given what else we have on D. It is already top 10 and dont think the additional value of a 2nd CB really moves the needle much.

By contrast if you hit on a WR that is able to develop into a true No 1 or 2 that adds more value to an O that is terrible.

The final element here is draft is so deep at WR that I feel not taking a chance to get one now is a mistake.

But that is just my opinion. I think a stud WR would help offense more than adding any player on D and that you can get a RG in FA that isnt going to be significantly worse if not better than a rookie RG.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You're right, two offensive linemen in the 2nd is as unsexy as it gets.

I would absolutely be okay with an OG and OT in the 2nd, though. Let's get a dominant offensive line for the next decade and call it a day.

I think Leno could redeem himself. He's average to above average the 3 years prior to 2019. Always had penalty issues but at least his play would offset it.

If you can get a guard/RT that are starter caliber, like you said, everyone on that line is young AF. Leno is the old man at 28.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The problem with the jumpball guys is they rarely then end up in the end zone because they are typically are not catching the ball in stride and running away from the CB.

A WR can contribute whether they are starting or not. You draft a T and they are useless if they dont beat out Leno/Massie that first year. I agree RG is bigger need but still expect us to sign one in FA. So would like to get one another pick other than 43.

S is a need but you can get one without burning a high pick.

2nd CB I think they have been adding a lot of bodies there so think a role player there is fine given what else we have on D. It is already top 10 and dont think the additional value of a 2nd CB really moves the needle much.

By contrast if you hit on a WR that is able to develop into a true No 1 or 2 that adds more value to an O that is terrible.

The final element here is draft is so deep at WR that I feel not taking a chance to get one now is a mistake.

Bit that is just my opinion. I think a stud WR would help offense more than adding any player on D and that you can get a RG in FA that isnt going to be significantly worse if not better than a rookie RG.

We literally just drafted a WR who was supposed to go in the 2nd round.

Do you want us to draft 3 2nd round caliber WR's 3 years in a row? LOL