Springs time? Bears' Smith OK with DB depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

Asked about Shawn Springs, whom he coached in 1995 at Ohio State, Lovie Smith began heading down a memory lane of Buckeyes.

"We had Shawn Springs when Terry Glenn came on the scene then," said Smith, who was in Columbus, Ohio, for one season, Springs' freshman year. "Eddie George of course was the running back. Ricky Dudley was the tight end. Shawn was in that group, too."

And Springs is a free agent, a veteran cornerback available for what some deem a position of need for the Bears. They feel good about starters Charles Tillman and Zack Bowman, and have executed a change with Bowman moving to Tillman's familiar left corner spot this offseason. But questions surround the team's options for a No. 3, as the Tribune's Dan Pompei detailed last month. The Bears signed Tim Jennings after the Indianapolis Colts non-tenderedhim. He's undersized and Colts president Bill Polian isn't one to castoff talented players. Corey Graham received significant workthis spring as the nickel back, but he went from playing considerably in2008 to falling down the depth chart a year ago. D.J. Moore, thefourth-round draft pick from 2009, is undersized and could have anuphill battle to make the roster. Then there's rookie fifth-round pickJosh Moore and Woodny Turenne, an undrafted player from a year ago.

Springs, 35, spent last season with the New England Patriots beforebeing released. He was with the Washington Redskins the year before. Hemight not be starter material any longer, but certainly could fill in.

But Springs is unlikely to come play for the veteran minimumand the Bears are believed to be pretty much maxed out on their budgetfor 2010. The Bears had durability questions about Bowman going intolast season and Tillman was knocked out at the end of last season withfour broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He's had two shoulder surgeriesand two back surgeries.

"We like what we have right now," Smith said of his depth chart atcornerback. "Shawn will always be family to me, but right now we likewhere we are. We constantly try to improve our ballclub right up untilthe first game. JoshMoore has made a lot of progress. Tim Jennings coming in, we like someof the new additions we have."

Smith singled out Graham as someone who has made strides. It will beinteresting to see what happens at the nickel back position that Smithpersonally oversees. Danieal Manning has played the position most ofthe last two seasons. He's lined up at strong safety. Ifrookie third-round pick Major Wright moves into the picture at safety,that could free Manning up for a return to nickel. Perhaps Graham willcarve out a spot for himself.

Whatever the Bears do, they need to findsome players who can get their hands on the ball in the secondary. Thatwas one of the leading impetuses in moving Bowman from right to leftside after he led the team in interceptions.

"Corey played a lot in (2008) based on some of the injuries," Smithsaid. "He's been a core specia; teams players for us. I have seen himmake a lot of improvement as a cornerback.

"We have a lot of options."

Right now, it doesn't appear Smith's old friend Springs is an option. Has he talked to Springs?

"Not about football," Smith deadpanned. "I haven't talked to Shawn."

More...

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I don't think signing a 35 year old CB would be an ideal situation. Worst case scenario our younger players don't play up to par but they still get experience for later down the road.

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Unless Bowman or Tillman get injured, this isnt going to happen.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Lovie better not get into the habit of granting wash-ups with jobs on the "friends and family" package.

I thought his influence on bringing player/personnel has been put under the scope, but it looks like that isn't happening.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Lovie shares a family phone plan with all his buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.