Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ubs-news-ian-stewart-20130319,0,2301753.story

MESA, Ariz. -- The Chicago Cubs will place Ian Stewart on the disabled list to start the season, and have shut down Scott Baker after one Cactus League start.
Stewart hasn’t played in a Cactus League game this spring, and reaggravated the quad while playing in a minor league game last Thursday.

“I can hit and take grounders,” he said. “I just can’t run.”

Stewart said “it doesn’t feel like” it’s been healing, despite the prolonged rest this spring. Stewart will meet with manager Dale Sveum and the training staff this morning to assess his status.

“I know what it’s like to play through pain,” Stewart said. “That’s what’s hard about this. I can’t get through that pain and play with it. It’s just too much.”

Either way, the Cubs will begin the season with Luis Valbuena at third base. Brent Lillibridge will share the spot with Valbuena, at least at the start of the season. With no depth at third, the Cubs may have to make a pick-up via the waiver wire, as they did last spring with Valbuena.
Baker, who was hit hard in his first start on Saturday, one year after undergoing elbow reconstruction surgery, had some fluid build-up on the elbow that will sideline him indefinitely, according to an MRI. Baker will see team physician Stephen Gryzlo this weekend for further evaluation.
The Cubs starting pitching depth is sorely lacking, and if Baker is unable to return to the team in May, Rookie Chris Rusin has an opportunity to be the first starter up from Triple-A Iowa in case of emergency.
Today they’ll have their Opening Day starting lineup in action against Texas, except for the starting pitcher:

DeJesus CF

Castro SS

Rizzo 1B

Soriano LF

Schierholtz RF

Castillo C

Valbuena 3B

Barney 2B

Navarro P

Yay Theoism?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer