Supporting a Steaming Pile?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say Wrigley helps the Cubs financially FAR more than it hurts them.

Yes but there is more to it than finances. The facilities for the players at Wrigley are beyond terrible, and day games are a disadvantage for the Cubs over the long haul of the season. Also there is the very real issue of safety for the fans. I think Ricketts understands the value of Wrigley which is why he said he had no intentions of leaving, but Wrigley needs drastic things done to it to remain viable financially, insure fan safety, and provide players the facilities they need. The neighborhood has done a lot to prevent the Cubs from doing what they need to do, and ultimately I think the threat to leave (like the Sox and Bears did when they needed stadium improvements/new stadium) is necessary to get the city behind it. This plays into that whole Wrigley is in worse shape articles that were floating around a few weeks ago. Could be laying the groundwork for Ricketts to say well we would love to stay in Wrigley, but it isn't feasible unless it has massive renovation. And when the neighborhood balks at that, then Ricketts can turn around and say it is either that or we move to the suburbs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but there is more to it than finances. The facilities for the players at Wrigley are beyond terrible, and day games are a disadvantage for the Cubs over the long haul of the season. Also there is the very real issue of safety for the fans. I think Ricketts understands the value of Wrigley which is why he said he had no intentions of leaving, but Wrigley needs drastic things done to it to remain viable financially, insure fan safety, and provide players the facilities they need. The neighborhood has done a lot to prevent the Cubs from doing what they need to do, and ultimately I think the threat to leave (like the Sox and Bears did when they needed stadium improvements/new stadium) is necessary to get the city behind it. This plays into that whole Wrigley is in worse shape articles that were floating around a few weeks ago. Could be laying the groundwork for Ricketts to say well we would love to stay in Wrigley, but it isn't feasible unless it has massive renovation. And when the neighborhood balks at that, then Ricketts can turn around and say it is either that or we move to the suburbs.

Yup. Ricketts may be billionaires but they didn't get that rich pissing away money on dead-end projects.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly you can't blame Ricketts for anything on Wrigley..

Trib should've done a major upgrade years ago..

We're working with what we've got and the economic climate of this state.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

There are almost 3 square miles of available property in Hoffman Estates, near the Sears Center off I-90. Add 2 bus lines from the Metra in either Arlington Hts. or Barrington and it's a feasible location for fans to access.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are almost 3 square miles of available property in Hoffman Estates, near the Sears Center off I-90. Add 2 bus lines from the Metra in either Arlington Hts. or Barrington and it's a feasible location for fans to access.

right by 59.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what do you propose they do with wrigley? Only so much they can do w/ the landmark status, right?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it gets to the point of moving out of Wrigley I'll gladly take a burb location.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
X-Factor, there is no national landmark status on Wrigley...only a city designation on certain parts of the park such as the ivy wall etc.

Last edited:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point, it only seems feasible to build a new stadium. After reading about the current state of Wrigley and the money needed to renovate it, the logical choice would be to move out of Wrigley. It's unfortunate because of all the history it has, but the Tribune really screwed up by not doing any renovations or upgrades years ago.

Rick

Liked Posts:
At this point, it only seems feasible to build a new stadium. After reading about the current state of Wrigley and the money needed to renovate it, the logical choice would be to move out of Wrigley. It's unfortunate because of all the history it has, but the Tribune really screwed up by not doing any renovations or upgrades years ago.

I've said it before, there's no history there that I want to remember. Sure, it's cool to look at some old pics of the park from the 1920's and 1930's but the Cubs have won absolutely nothing there. There's nothing but painful memories there.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tearing down wrigley would be such a shame. Its one of only two true baseball parks left and tearing it down to build another amusement park would be a terribly sad thing to do.

There is no reason to tear it down at all. Nothing that is wrong with the park is unfixable.

Just take a year play at the Cell or play at Soldier or something and fix the problems, and play there for another 75 years.

After seeing places like Miller Park, Busch and CBP I hope they never tear down Wrigley.

Those places are amusement parks not baseball stadiums.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
AT&T Park >>>>>>> Wrigley

<---- San Francisco Giants fan who's actually been to both.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we could mesh the best of that park and wrigley in a new park I'd have some orgasms.

Just build AT&T Park where Wrigley is and put the manual scoreboard where that stupid glove and giant Coke bottle are.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AT&T Park >>>>>>> Wrigley

<---- San Francisco Giants fan who's actually been to both.

There might be some good ones I have really only been to those three.

But they seem like amusement parks or minor league stadiums.

I mean the Brewers do the same things between innings that they do here at the local stadium.

I still see no real reason to leave Wrigley.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still see no real reason to leave Wrigley.

1. Old

2. Falling apart

3. Built for Smurfs

4. Never won shit there

5. Revenue drain due to lack of advertising options

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I dont really see that as a reason. Just because its old doesnt mean it isnt functional.

2. Falling apart

That can easily be fixed by taking a year and playing elsewhere.

3. Built for Smurfs

I've never had any problems anywhere I have sat, but if they redid Wrigley they could replace some seats.

4. Never won shit there

That's a management problem not a field issue.

Perhaps they should just leave the town then? Move to Vegas or Charlotte or something? I mean maybe its the city? 1 WS Championship between two ball clubs in 93 years. That's pretty bad.

Still 6 World Series' have been played there, its just bad dumb luck none have been won.

5. Revenue drain due to lack of advertising options

I wouldn't mind seeing some numbers on how much the Cubs get from the Toyota, Bud Light Bleachers, and UA signs. As well as the stuff the advertise on the marquees within the stadium.

Would like to see that compared to other teams. Like I said I am find selling the rights to rename part of the place or even the grand stand much like the bleachers.