Take Josh Johnson and David Murphy off of the table

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Samardzija to the O's in a Weiters trade!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Johnson wanted a pitchers park on the west coast. I'm a little surprised he went with the Pads over the Bucc's. Pit will win more games than the Pads.

From: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/sd/...ymd=20131119&content_id=64060268&vkey=news_sd

The deal with Johnson will bolster San Diego's starting rotation, which already includes Ian Kennedy, Andrew Cashner, Tyson Ross and Eric Stults, with several other younger pitchers close if not far off as well.

Robbie Erlin, Cory Luebke, Burch Smith and Joe Wieland are other candidates to crack the rotation. Luebke and Wieland are both coming off Tommy John surgery in 2012 and should be ready for the start of Spring Training or shortly thereafter.

I feel that the Pads have too much depth going on and maybe a prime target for Jed to pull a deal with for their excess arms.

Robbie Erlin: LHP went 3-3 4.12 ERA in 54IP as a starter. WHIP 1.24

My choice: off of 60 DL with TJ: Cory Luebke LHP career 10-12 3.25 ERA 188.1 IP 1.10 WHIP. I believe he is as good or a notch better than Wood.

Joe Wieland: off of 60 day also: RHP 0-4 4.55 ERA 24.2 IP 1.27 WHIP
Wieland throws from a three quarters angle with a repeatable delivery, Wieland throws four pitches: a two seam and four seam fastball, a curveball and a rare changeup.

Burch Smith 1-3 6.44 ERA 36.1 IP 1.65 WHIP (not really a fan)

Makes ya wonder what they would trade. Cubs will be getting into excess bats and the Pads getting into excess arms. Seems like a match.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Of course the Pads are ideal for trading with the Cubs. It's Theo's MO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Of course the Pads are ideal for trading with the Cubs. It's Theo's MO

Ya it would be more to do with Jed here. Jed had the ties and Jason McLeod drafted most of that team's talent.

It makes sense as they already know what they have.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe we could trade back for Cashner! :elephant:

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
That pisses me off. JJ on an $8 million deal should have been right up our alley. Trade him at the deadline or give him an extension if he does well. Considering we gave $52 milion to Jackson, $8 million for a former ace doesn't seem like much of a risk. Oh well, guess there is "Always next year"...sigh

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That pisses me off. JJ on an $8 million deal should have been right up our alley. Trade him at the deadline or give him an extension if he does well. Considering we gave $52 milion to Jackson, $8 million for a former ace doesn't seem like much of a risk. Oh well, guess there is "Always next year"...sigh

Answer is he did not want to be a Cub.

Swear your reply did not even consider this.

If you would have researched alittle you would have read he wanted a west coast team (check) pitchers ball park (check) competitive team (not a check) 2 of the 3 were covered and the Pads gave him a 1 year deal he wanted.

Not a match for him and being a F/A he holds the cards.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But the the roids issue with Everth Cabrera and him being rep by Boras and having 2 years left of control I can see the Pads being tempted to trade him off. Not sure when.

On top of that with Chase Headley in his last year of control I expect them to trade him off.

Now with Bryant/Baez upwelling later year and I'm expecting Olt and Castro to re-establish their values this makes an interesting scenerio upcomming.

They could pull a mega deal and move both and get 1 of: Erlin or Luebke (Max Fried would be a long shot) and a RH starter like Joe Wieland or Casey Kelly.

Then I would make a demand of Rymer Liriano (OF) or Austin Hedges (C)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Take Josh Johnson and David Murphy off of the table

ryan sweeney was brought back to be their 4th OFer, so no need for Murphy

Josh johnson wanted to play out west, so they never really had a chance for him..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
ryan sweeney was brought back to be their 4th OFer, so no need for Murphy

Josh johnson wanted to play out west, so they never really had a chance for him..

:elephant:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not really sure if I care. Johnson is obviously the more interesting of the two. However, he is far from durable. I will stand by my comments about Haren being a good option until I'm proven wrong. If Johnson is worth $8 mil you would expect that Haren would be less or at the very worst the same price. At $8 mil I think he's a decent bargain. Even being hurt last year he still threw almost 170 IP. Compare that to guys like Baker and Feldman who had concerns and got $5 mil and I think that there is a lot of meat on the bone for that price.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Per JJ, it came down to Padres, KC, Cubs and Giants. So, I'm happy the Cubs made a play for him. He said manager was main choice (Bud Black) and PC.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think the West Coast was main factor for him.