ChiBDM

Liked Posts:
Taking It too Favre: Fallout From ESPN's Love Affair With The NFL

http://t.co/si7NHt4

This does a nice job of sticking it to ESPN for for not covering Hockey

Last edited:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
What the fuck is this doing in the Bears section?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Also, article blows. It does a piss-poor job of doing anything other than incessantly repeating the writer's want of more NHL coverage and periodic tales of "hey, remember that time ESPN didn't talk about hockey when they could have?". Nothing was shown, nothing was proven, and thus nothing was said other than "I like hockey, and ESPN doesn't talk about it enough to satisfy me". Which, ok. :dunno:

ChiBDM

Liked Posts:
it was football related.. Thats why I posted it with Bears... So u one of those angry forum ppl that go around getting pissed at everybody... reminds me of a toll booth operator on a power trip .. get over it....

Lefty

Liked Posts:
it was football related.. Thats why I posted it with Bears...

So what you're saying is that you are unable to tell the difference between "Bears Football" and "General Sports Topics", even when you are looking for a place to post an article that 1) mentions the Chicago Bears not a once and 2) has more to do with hockey than it does actual football, and even then we're talking about the media coverage of the two sports? Got it. :clap:

So u one of those angry forum ppl that go around getting pissed at everybody... reminds me of a toll booth operator on a power trip .. get over it....

:rolleyes: Please. You made a stupid, just admit it and move on. Also, you have a full keyboard in front of you, fucking use it, you hack.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
it was football related.. Thats why I posted it with Bears... So u one of those angry forum ppl that go around getting pissed at everybody... reminds me of a toll booth operator on a power trip .. get over it....

All he does is down people..I noticed he was an arrogant tool the day I joined.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why this is in the Bears forum, either. It has nothing to do with the Bears.

Clearly, this is all about ratings, and a whiney hockey fan. ESPN can charge it's sponsors (advertisers) more money when it has more viewers, and it gets more viewers when it covers sports that viewers are interested in. That's mostly football and to a lesser extent, basketball.

The writer may feel that if ESPN covered hockey more, the sport would become more popular, or that hockey isn't that popular because ESPN doesn't cover it. That's not necessarily the case. This is kind of a "chicken-and-egg" argument. The fact is that many people who watch a hockey game don't understand it or find it boring ("like soccer on ice").

I watched most of the NHL playoffs and the Stanley Cup in bars here in Topeka and nobody was even the least bit interested; not even local Bears and Cubs fans! During the Cup, most people didn't even know it was a championship series that was being televised.

There is a reason cable tv has an NFL network and no NHL network. Broadcasters will give the viewers what they want to see, and most viewers don't want to see hockey coverage. If you ran a network would you put on programming that would cause your viewers to turn the channel? I wouldn't.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't understand why this is in the Bears forum, either. It has nothing to do with the Bears.

Clearly, this is all about ratings, and a whiney hockey fan. ESPN can charge it's sponsors (advertisers) more money when it has more viewers, and it gets more viewers when it covers sports that viewers are interested in. That's mostly football and to a lesser extent, basketball.

The writer may feel that if ESPN covered hockey more, the sport would become more popular, or that hockey isn't that popular because ESPN doesn't cover it. That's not necessarily the case. This is kind of a "chicken-and-egg" argument. The fact is that many people who watch a hockey game don't understand it or find it boring ("like soccer on ice").

I watched most of the NHL playoffs and the Stanley Cup in bars here in Topeka and nobody was even the least bit interested; not even local Bears and Cubs fans! During the Cup, most people didn't even know it was a championship series that was being televised.

There is a reason cable tv has an NFL network and no NHL network. Broadcasters will give the viewers what they want to see, and most viewers don't want to see hockey coverage. If you ran a network would you put on programming that would cause your viewers to turn the channel? I wouldn't.

Those are all valid points, points that one would think could be foreseen and preempted by a writer whose thoughts extend further than "dah, dey should cover da hockey more". Unfortunately, it seems that is the place this writer seems content to stop his argument.

Which, like I said, is fine, and I'm not in a position to say one way or the other definitively whether the sport is covered on a level commensurate with what coverage it should be getting, and I'd even go so far as to believe that there is a definite, tangible disparity in the amount of coverage hockey receives versus how much it should receive from a "reputable" [sporting] news agency (mainly because I hate ESPN, as they are way too overpopulated with unworthy hacks, namely Golic and Greenberg).

That being said, there was no discernible effort made in the article to identify that disparity objectively, nor was there any discussion about how a reputable media outlet should divvy up its coverage, much less the leading media outlet in the world for a given topic.

These would have all been fantastic and interesting arguments and thoughts, but they are nowhere to be found inside the article itself, nor are they being heard from the writer. The comments on a piece should never be decidedly better and more interesting than the article itself, so I renew my claim: article blows.

Last edited:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
It would be really great if you could go back to not posting. K thx bie

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I can confirm the suckiness of this article. Not sure why there was a change in font a couple times throughout, but whatever. Anyways, this is a particular passage of puke...

This is a sore subject to many. Growing up in the '90s and early 2000s, I remember being able to loosely follow the league via Sportscenter and occasional panel discussions. Now it has been virtually shut out from any exposure. Ask any current fan of the NHL for their feelings on the network's hockey coverage. But when you do, be ready for a passionate diatribe on how ESPN has abandoned them.

That sounds a bit childish, but there is actually a lot of validity to it. The era of round the clock football coverage coincided almost exactly with the beginning of reduced hockey coverage. I guess something had to go.
Wow, here is something that can't possibly be proved, but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyways.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
BTW, they did a parity check on Mike and Mike last year and showed that MLB had the most parity of the major sports.