Team not inclined to trade James Russell

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
"James Russell is the best pitcher in the Cubs bullpen, but he is a lefty so he can only face one batter per game."

- Dale Sveum

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
"James Russell is the best pitcher in the Cubs bullpen, but he is a lefty so he can only face one batter per game."

- Dale Sveum

Doesn't say much for him or the the bullpen if he can only face one batter per game.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's not like relievers aren't out there when you will really need them which is what 2018?

I'm hoping if the Cubs aren't competing by 2016, Theo is gone.

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just trying to understand here. You are upset that the team is bad, and you are upset that they aren't going to trade James Russell, probably?

Yes you got a point but on a BAD team RP should never be untouchable. RP is last thing you build on good team. Team still needs about 6 different positional players before they worry about the bullpen.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just trying to understand here. You are upset that the team is bad, and you are upset that they aren't going to trade James Russell, probably?

What value does Russell have to this team besides being dumped for prospects?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But you want this team to be good sooner than later?

I do, but it doesn't matter what I want. It's clear this team is on a rebuild plan, and holding on to Russell while not having serious interest in trading is a detriment to that rebuilding plan IMO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do, but it doesn't matter what I want. It's clear this team is on a rebuild plan, and holding on to Russell while not having serious interest in trading is a detriment to that rebuilding plan IMO.

I don't think the Cubs are seriously refusing to trade James Russell, but I just don't think that they are willing to trade him unless a team overpays. I could be wrong, but it seems the FO position has been that no one is untradeable. That said I could see why they would hang onto guys that are cost controlled for next year and move the guys that aren't first.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think the Cubs are seriously refusing to trade James Russell, but I just don't think that they are willing to trade him unless a team overpays. I could be wrong, but it seems the FO position has been that no one is untradeable. That said I could see why they would hang onto guys that are cost controlled for next year and move the guys that aren't first.

And the Cubs aren't going to be expected to compete next season either. Russell's value can't get much higher than it is now to other teams, and now is the time to make a move and get some chips into the fold.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Cubs aren't going to be expected to compete next season either. Russell's value can't get much higher than it is now to other teams, and now is the time to make a move and get some chips into the fold.

The Cubs control Russell for two more years as well. There is no immediate need to move him. Again if the Tigers want to offer Drew Smyly or some other team with a ridiculous package for James Russell I am sure the FO will pull the trigger, but that said James Russell isn't going to bring game changing talent. I can see why they would instead focus on other areas at this point in time.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts: