Ted Distancing Himself From Football Operations?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The issue with all this is that a scenario like this probably unfolds after the season and has them hiring a vp of football operations and gm. Then that puts them way behind on the coach search with top candidates likely already being hired.

If they are going to do this, the moves need to happen now
Agreed - but this could be why we heard rumors about Trace Armstrong being brought in. Sure he denied them, but he has to until something is official. I hope that if this is the plan that the wheels are already in motion.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Who hires those other “football people” higher executives on other teams? So why is it impossible for our team to do the same?
Because some people in positions of power have a knack for identifying talent outside of their scope. This is common practice in the executive world. I have nothing personal against Phillips. His track record is his track record. It speaks for itself.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
It's like people forget that when Chris Ballard interviewed he was very forthright in wanting to make structural changes to the front office and Ted & George said thanks but no thanks. He wanted to make changes because he worked in Halas Hall for 12 years and is very aware of how things work, and knows first hand they actually don't work.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Because some people in positions of power have a knack for identifying talent outside of their scope. This is common practice in the executive world. I have nothing personal against Phillips. His track record is his track record. It speaks for itself.
He needed to pay some obsolete hack multiple times to pick the gm for him lol

TL1961

Liked Posts:
While it makes perfectly good sense to be happy to hear that Ted Phillips is distancing himself from football operations, I am actually not all that thrilled to hear it for two reasons. First, it means he’s trying to save his job and stay with the organization while we are hoping he is gone and second, it means he’s been involved in football operations and for the last few years we’ve been told over and over that he has nothing to do with football operations. So it’s like getting excited that he’s going to be out when that had already been the case.

They are just so fucking dysfunctional.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's like people forget that when Chris Ballard interviewed he was very forthright in wanting to make structural changes to the front office and Ted & George said thanks but no thanks. He wanted to make changes because he worked in Halas Hall for 12 years and is very aware of how things work, and knows first hand they actually don't work.

Ballard was such a loss to the org.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to hear exactly what it is that some of you think Ted Phillips has done over the last couple of years to screw things up. Play calling? Drafting? Free agents? Other?

This is a dysfunctional organization. The people at the top have been through several iterations of coaches and rosters with the same result. To me, that means the problem is systemic.

That means its time for George to take a step back, restrict Phillips to balance ledgers, and hire a president of football ops that is allowed a lot of autonomy in reshaping the organizational structure.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a dysfunctional organization. The people at the top have been through several iterations of coaches and rosters with the same result. To me, that means the problem is systemic.

That means its time for George to take a step back, restrict Phillips to balance ledgers, and hire a president of football ops that is allowed a lot of autonomy in reshaping the organizational structure.

I remember this same news of Ted Phillips no longer being involved in football operations like 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe I am losing it, or psychic or something. I remember it at a press conference lol.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I remember this same news of Ted Phillips no longer being involved in football operations like 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe I am losing it, or psychic or something. I remember it at a press conference lol.
Yep...I believe that was after they fired Fox/hired Nagy.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
It’s mind blowing that the President of a business could fail for 22 years and still keep their job.

I suppose based on that you really have to wonder what the McCaskey’s definition of failure and success is for their team President?

They’ll talk about beating the Packers, winning Superbowls and all that shit. But those metrics have been failed spectacularly. He probably has made them a lot of money though….having an accountant in charge of it all makes a lot of sense if that’s the major target.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I remember that too, but in my head it was further back, maybe after the Trestman debacle? idk

But either way, they didn't hire someone to run football ops, so it had to be either Phillips or George in that role.

And imo, that needs to change.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
No, this is how the mccaskeys work: hire a new coach with a five year contract, reatain Pace with a five year extension, THEN hire a president of football operations and handcuff him to Pace and the new coach …….it’s the McCaskey way….

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can totally live with this.

Teddy's role has been the man the McCaskeys trust to make the Bears profitable and he's done it well. If they now trust Ryan Pace to do the same...so be it. He honestly would be better at hiring his replacement than anyone else with the franchise. Hire someone more experienced than himself and let Ryan Pace focus on the totally top secret but not really relocation to Arlington.
Same here and it's a way for the McCaskeys to keep their love child, Pace, in a roll he's likely better suited for. I'd much rather Pace be in charge of hiring his successor than what we've done in the past.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s all BS to me until the Bears make an official announcement. This time last year, Phillips was supposedly planning to retire…

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s all BS to me until the Bears make an official announcement. This time last year, Phillips was supposedly planning to retire…
Keep your fingers crossed. I don't want Pace to hire the next coach only to bring in a different GM the following year. When you think about it, if the plan was to move Pace at the end of this year, the odd situation of keeping Nagy and the extremely odd end of year press conference actually made sense. Make the front office changes at the end of this season and let the new GM implement his own vision of the team.

I posted about the possibility of Pace moving up to replace Ted over a year ago.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If Ted goes to more of an operations role and they hand the day to day responsibilities over to Pace does anything really change?

It's a serious question. I'm starting to ready myself for an announcement that Ted is out and Pace somehow will have more authority then he previously had.

That's right. All the excitement of Ted being moved from football operations will be lost in the realization that 46-63 GM Ryan Pace is filling those shoes.

Liked Posts:
He’s a boomer. Since when do they ever hand over power for the greater good?
Jokes aside let’s flash forward to George McCaskey in 2026:
“We appreciate coach X’s hard work and dedication but have decided it is in our best interest to move forward with a new direction. “We are excited about our most recent quarterback draft pick. Ted and I are committed to returning this franchise to its deserved status….wait we said Ted wasn’t involved? Umm oh yeah right…. We like our people and have good relationships”