Ten questions for the Bears looking ahead to Matt Nagy's first training camp

Sammich

Liked Posts:
1. Is Mitch Trubisky the real deal? Every major decision the organization has made since selecting Trubisky second in 2017 has been based on building the franchise around him. There’s reason to believe he’ll be a great fit with Nagy, but there’s also a ton of unknown with Trubisky coming off a rookie season in which he threw seven touchdown passes and seven interceptions. The significance of his development cannot be overstated.

2. Can the Bears finally stay healthy? Andre Tucker was hired as the new head athletic trainer and Jason Loscalzo as the new strength and conditioning coach. They’ll be charged with maintaining a healthier roster because the most important ability is availability. The Bears had 16 players on injured reserve last season and were forced to juggle at wide receiver, offensive line and outside linebacker. Twenty-one players landed on IR in 2016, and it’s impossible to think about the Bears making major improvements if they aren’t much healthier.

3. Is there enough talent and depth at outside linebacker? Pace will likely acknowledge the position needs some overhauling in the future, and the evaluation begins with former first-round draft pick Leonard Floyd. He didn’t look particularly smooth with a large brace on his right knee in minicamp, but the hope is he’ll shed the device before the season. This probably isn’t as big of a roster issue as some make it out to be, but it’s worth watching and Floyd is the key.

4. Can Allen Robinson regain form? The high-dollar wide receiver will be more than 10 months removed from tearing the ACL in his left knee. The Bears are paying him as a legitimate No. 1 receiver, and he’s expected to be full go when camp opens. Sure, Robinson will likely be afforded some days of rest here and there, and total recovery from ACL injuries is commonplace. Still, Robinson needs to prove he’s back, and sometimes players aren’t all the way back for 18 months or so.

5. Will the secondary have stickier hands? The Bears set a franchise record for fewest interceptions in a season with eight in 2015, then tied it in 2016 and ’17. The turnover ratio wasn’t out of whack a year ago because the defense proved particularly efficient at recovering fumbles. Ideally, the number of picks doubles, which might happen if the offense can provide some leads.

6. Is Jordan Howard a good fit for the scheme? Howard might not be ideal for Nagy’s offense given his struggles catching the ball out of the backfield, particularly last year. The Bears need to tailor what they do to the strength of their players, and Howard has a chance to make his future with the organization.

7. Can Kyle Fuller replicate an outstanding season? The Bears matched the offer sheet Fuller signed with the Packers — $56 million over four years, including $29 million in the first two — and now he has to live up to that contract. The Bears weren’t sure what they would get from Fuller entering last season in what looked as if it would be his final year with the team. Fuller is the fifth-highest-paid at the position with an annual average of $14 million, so he needs to be elite.

8. Will right guard Kyle Long return healthy and remain healthy? A grisly ankle injury in 2016 and a shoulder injury that dates to the 2016 preseason have hampered Long. Nagy expects him to be full go when camp begins, and the Bears need some continuity on the offensive line as they sort out what to do at center and left guard.

9. Is Trey Burton ready to be a playmaker? The Bears were one of many teams pursuing the former Eagles tight end in free agency, projecting a big uptick in production. He went from third on the depth chart in Philadelphia to the seventh-highest-paid player at the position with an annual average of $8 million. Burton has been healthy throughout his career, and Nagy instantly identified him as an ideal fit for the “U” position. Now Burton needs to produce.

10. How will Nagy juggle play-calling duties with being a head coach? His experience calling plays in the NFL is limited to the final month of last season with the Chiefs, and now he’s going to do that full time and be the top man on the sideline. There will be an adjustment period.

-Brad Biggs

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Howard's fit is an overblown topic. If Howard is not a fit for the offense, there's nothing wrong with Howard, it means there's something wrong with the offense.

The Eagles ran pretty much the same offense with a non-pass catcher getting by far the most carries on the team. Blount was able to run the ball just fine on clear run downs. 173 carries, 8 catches. Then they were able to mix in Ajayi (after the trade), Sproles (before injury), Smallwood and Clement in on passing downs. Just because the defense knows what you're going to do (run or pass) based on personnel doesn't mean anything. They still have to stop it. Defenses clearly never stopped the Eagles when Blount being out there was about as dead a giveaway as it gets that they were running the ball.

The fact that Howard is easily better than Blount as a runner and doesn't have to share the backfield with more than 1 legit threat, he'll get way more than the 173 carries Blount got. And likely do better than the 4.4 ypc number Blount had in a similar offense.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see if the injuries from that last couple of years was a fluke or are Paces picks just fragile.

Robinson will preform early and often. Not remotely worried about his production.

Howard will definitely get less touched but i don’t expect less production.

Fuller and Prince scare me the most. Bears spent 10mil more a year for the same guys w/o upgrading.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Trubisky threw 7 tds? NO...he threw 8....one NY took away.....actually he threw more like 10...I've rewatched some of his games from last year and he had I think 2 or 3 TD's called back for holding or some other lame call.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Trubisky threw 7 tds? NO...he threw 8....one NY took away.....actually he threw more like 10...I've rewatched some of his games from last year and he had I think 2 or 3 TD's called back for holding or some other lame call.

Goes both ways.

How many interceptions were dropped? Or called back for penalty?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Goes both ways.

How many interceptions were dropped? Or called back for penalty?

he threw 4 in one game so I'm actually not all that worried about his INTs...I'm just saying writing an article and stating that he ONLY threw 7 TD's under John Fox is kind of a sham....because he really wasn't cut loose until the final 2 or 3 games....he wasn't throwing to all pros..he was throwing to Bellamy and our best WR at the end of the season was the Chargers number 4 or 5

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many were route or WR read issues? Goes both ways and why stats (almost TDs or almost INTs) even out over time. Using rookie stats as a prediction of anything is silly anyways.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
How many were route or WR read issues? Goes both ways and why stats even out over time. Using rookie stats as a prediction of anything is silly anyways.

agreed, I think at this point of inactivity writing speculative articles is all they've got and some of the speculation ends up like [video=youtube;JT0zjorR68A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0zjorR68A[/video]

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard's fit is an overblown topic. If Howard is not a fit for the offense, there's nothing wrong with Howard, it means there's something wrong with the offense.

Talking about predictability in the run game after last year’s “offense” is amusing. Howard is going to feast if they put up any semblance of a passing game. And he’s going to make the passing game easier right out of the gate if teams continue to key on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
All are great topics that could garner a thread alone - Good roll-up Ditka.

For me Injuries are the biggest thing.

Long, Floyd and Robinson are all BIG pieces, and I hope they are patient enough with them all.

Floyd - is the only real threat outside, and if he is limited then we really have no outside pass rush. That hurts the defense and the interior linemen that have the ability to get there, but since there is no threat on the outside then it mean they can scheme against the interior rush.

Long - I'm glad they drafted Daniels, and I hope he can come out and contribute, just like Whitehair did, but our depth at guard is not that good/coming off injury. Long makes the entire line better if he is healthy. Sure hope he is ready, because the offense will only be as successful as the o-line allows them to be.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
All are great topics that could garner a thread alone - Good roll-up Ditka.

For me Injuries are the biggest thing.

Long, Floyd and Robinson are all BIG pieces, and I hope they are patient enough with them all.

Floyd - is the only real threat outside, and if he is limited then we really have no outside pass rush. That hurts the defense and the interior linemen that have the ability to get there, but since there is no threat on the outside then it mean they can scheme against the interior rush.

Long - I'm glad they drafted Daniels, and I hope he can come out and contribute, just like Whitehair did, but our depth at guard is not that good/coming off injury. Long makes the entire line better if he is healthy. Sure hope he is ready, because the offense will only be as successful as the o-line allows them to be.

I don't know what kind of depth you believe or think nfl teams have but we have it at least interior wise.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't know what kind of depth you believe or think nfl teams have but we have it at least interior wise.

Kush is coming off injury just like Long, the rest are Fodder or vets with limited starts.

Unless you are counting on Grasu..........

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The last point is an issue. Calling plays while being a HC isnt something everyone can do, and Nagy wasn't anything close to an experienced playmaker before now. He will be learning how to do and manage both on the fly this year...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The last point is an issue. Calling plays while being a HC isnt something everyone can do, and Nagy wasn't anything close to an experienced playmaker before now. He will be learning how to do and manage both on the fly this year...

Mark Helfrich has been a play caller, so if it does become too much for Nagy then at least he has a decent back-up. I do think that a HC can call either side of the ball and still be effective as a HC, BUT he is essentially a rookie at it.

I expect that we will come out of the gates with a fairly simple Offense, but it will evolve throughout the season. That gives both Nagy and Trubisky room to grow.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

The Eagles ran pretty much the same offense with a non-pass catcher getting by far the most carries on the team. Blount was able to run the ball just fine on clear run downs. 173 carries, 8 catches. Then they were able to mix in Ajayi (after the trade), Sproles (before injury), Smallwood and Clement in on passing downs. Just because the defense knows what you're going to do (run or pass) based on personnel doesn't mean anything. They still have to stop it. Defenses clearly never stopped the Eagles when Blount being out there was about as dead a giveaway as it gets that they were running the ball.

The fact that Howard is easily better than Blount as a runner and doesn't have to share the backfield with more than 1 legit threat, he'll get way more than the 173 carries Blount got. And likely do better than the 4.4 ypc number Blount had in a similar offense.
You are right and wrong at the same time.

I agree that with a healthy interior line and receivers that have to be accounted for should be easier for Howard to surpass his numbers in 2017.

However, I completely disagree with the following statement:
Just because the defense knows what you're going to do (run or pass) based on personnel doesn't mean anything.

If Howard can become a decent pass catcher (and a Bears CB already did that over one offseason), there will no longer be obvious running downs which can be huge for the offense. Imagine Howard faking a rush into a 7 man box, the defenders scattering to cover their new responsibilities, Howard cleanly receiving a short dump off pass beyond the line of scrimmage and having one man to beat for a long gain.

Right now, he isn't a reliable safety valve. Sure, the Bears can survive with that but they would instantly become much more dangerous if he was just a reliable safety valve. Now him running some routes might be too much to ask for.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Talking about predictability in the run game after last year’s “offense” is amusing. Howard is going to feast if they put up any semblance of a passing game. And he’s going to make the passing game easier right out of the gate if teams continue to key on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw a tweet last week or the one before, where some guy managed to find the breakdown of "2017 pass % on 1st & 2nd down with score within 7 points". I believe it excludes the 4th Q, guessing because some teams fall behind and their play calling is forced into mostly passing.

But surprise, surprise, Chicago Bears were dead last and it's not even close... Just change this one stat, and you'll see a much improved offense. (Also fuck Fox and Loggains, this is unacceptably shitty and predictable).
Dem9fOBX4AA3RLQ.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1002540971471659009

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I saw a tweet last week or the one before, where some guy managed to find the breakdown of "2017 pass % on 1st & 2nd down with score within 7 points". I believe it excludes the 4th Q, guessing because some teams fall behind and their play calling is forced into mostly passing.

But surprise, surprise, Chicago Bears were dead last and it's not even close... Just change this one stat, and you'll see a much improved offense. (Also fuck Fox and Loggains, this is unacceptably shitty and predictable).

holy balls. goddamn fox

Newblood

Liked Posts:

Holy shit.

The number of attempts between 1st and 31st is 18 att.
While the difference in attempts from 31st to 32nd is 63 att.

That disparity is crazy.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:

That's pathetic.. I'm so happy we are done with that staff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk