Tevin Jenkins Scouting Report

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

PROSPECT SUMMARY – TEVEN JENKINS

Playing in 37 career games (35 starts) at Oklahoma State, Teven Jenkins experienced time at right guard, left tackle, and right tackle. With a bulk of his experience coming at right tackle, he blossomed during his final two seasons. Playing in the first eight games of the season, he elected to opt out after suffering what was reported as lower back issues. The 6-foot-6, 320-pound fifth-year senior offensive tackle is a top-heavy blocker that has experienced success in the team's Air Raid offense. A quick setter that’s prone to take horizontal pass sets, he’s created a habit of establishing quick wins by striking his hands and controlling defenders. As a run blocker, he’s able to create considerable amounts of movement when able to gain momentum prior to engagement points. A well above average finisher, Jenkins is the type of offensive lineman that attempts to humiliate players in the opposite color jersey. The echo of the whistle doesn’t slow down his process and he continues on with his process until he wants to conclude. Jenkins' athleticism and lack of overall range may create questions about his potential at offensive tackle and there will be some teams who grade him as a guard as a result. Jenkins will have a strong chance of being the first offensive lineman drafted from the program since Russell Okung (2010).

Ideal Role: Developmental offensive tackle that could eventually turn into a starter at tackle or guard.

Scheme Fit: Man/Gap/Power.

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Jordan Reid
Games watched: Tulsa (2020), Iowa State (2020), Kansas (2020), Kansas State (2020), Texas (2020), Oklahoma (2020)

Best Game Studied: Oklahoma (2020, prior to first-quarter injury), Kansas State (2020), Texas (2020)

Worst Game Studied: N/A

Balance: A borderline average athlete, Jenkins displays the ability to stay on his feet when initiating the blocking process. A lack of balance is exhibited when he becomes too aggressive, which leads to overeagerness on blocks. Loading up and putting his all into blocks leads to struggles with staying on his feet and failures to land his hands cleanly on targets.

Pass Sets: Because of the uptempo Air Raid scheme that he played in, Jenkins is more of a horizontal setter than a true vertical one. Setting in more of a lateral fashion allows him to cut off pass rushers quickly instead of setting vertically to invite them up the field. The Cowboys' offense incorporated lots of quick rhythm throws, which didn’t require Jenkins to sustain blocks for long periods of time. The horizontal sets catered to his skill set considering that he does have some athletic limitations.

Competitive Toughness: Jenkins is a bruiser in every way imaginable. As both a run blocker and pass protector, he seeks to put dents in defenders. The sound of the whistle doesn’t stop him from finishing and he constantly wants to humiliate assignments. His demeanor has led to holding penalties, but there are some that are acceptable simply because he was playing with too much aggressiveness. Jenkins is a prospect who will have to control his temperament in spots, but the endless levels of aggression are easy to fall in love with. His excitement with blocking through the whistle is the type of energy that’s contagious throughout an entire unit.

Lateral Mobility: Involved in lots of lateral moving principles, he proved to be an average executor. Jenkins isn’t a consistent explosive mover on outside zone or perimeter run concepts, but he has enough athleticism in his lower half to secure his area. A bit top-heavy, he moves in similar ways as he relies a lot on his upper dimensions to eventually outlast moves from the opposition.

Length: Possessing adequate length for the position, he’s often able to use it to his advantage. The talks of Jenkins possibly sliding inside are solely based on his athleticism. His arms and reach help him grip and control where he wants to take targets. He has the strength, range, and attitude to control blocks on the first and second levels depending on designed concepts.

Football IQ: Jenkins’ best example of his football intelligence is within his patience on blocks. Frequently asked to play on different levels, he has little trouble with climbing to take on second-level defenders. Even when not knowing ball locations, he takes the approach of beating targets to spots and allowing them to come into his areas prior to initiating contact. Not possessing the consistent athleticism to stick and move with rangy targets, he takes a measured thought process of estimating where they are going to be and then attacking. Jenkins has also displayed that he’s aware of different alignments with defensive structures. Handling and passing off blitzes, twists/stunts are often seen throughout his career.

Hand Technique: Jenkins is a quick striker, as he repeatedly attempts to be the enforcer with his hands at the point of attack. Longer-armed defenders have had success with swatting his hands away and he transitions all of his weight forward into blocks, which results in him losing his balance and control. While having strong hands, his techniques outside of striking quickly will need to expand. Having answers with readjusting to winning positions will also need to be a point of emphasis.

Anchor Ability: Even though he possesses a top-heavy frame, Jenkins shows the ability to welcome and anchor targets that attempt to crowd his frame. It isn’t often that he’s attacked down the midline of his body because of his wide pass set techniques, but when defenders did take that approach, they failed to generate any backward movement against him.

Power at the P.O.A.: One of his better traits is how much natural body strength he contains. When able to gain momentum into blocks, he’s able to plow open lanes with ease. Securing down blocks prior to climbing to the second level is a frequent task for him and he’s able to positively satisfy those requirements. His power levels are also displayed as a pass protector as he contains high levels of grip strength that help him latch and control edge rushers.

Versatility: Jenkins has gained experience at both tackle spots as well as right guard during his career with the Cowboys—an added incentive to his resume as there will be mixed opinions on if his long-term outlook is better as an offensive tackle or guard. With his success at right tackle, that is the position that he should be experimented with first, but if unsuccessful, there may be a possible transition for him inside.

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: 83.38/100
Joe Marino:
86.50/100
Kyle Crabbs: 86.00/100
Jordan Reid: 86.00/100
Drae Harris: 75.00/100

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He sounds like not really a fit for this offense with the lack of speed though from what I hear. Might be more an RT than an LT, or at least not the guy covering the blindside of the QB. I could be wrong but odds of him not starting this year I feel are very slim, which is why I'd give the pick n A-.

In saying I feel he is not ideal for this type of offense, he would also I feel instantly become our best power run blocker.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We got rid of Massie not Leno. He will start at RT. We likely sign a LT in FA when we will have a ton of cap and we move on from Leno.

Hie isnt the quickest guy but he is a fit from the perspective of being used to operating at the 2nd level in the Air Raid offense. He will have guys run around him from time to time but he will swallow guys uo at the 2nd level as well.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We got rid of Massie not Leno. He will start at RT. We likely sign a LT in FA when we will have a ton of cap and we move on from Leno.

Hie isnt the quickest guy but he is a fit from the perspective of being used to operating at the 2nd level in the Air Raid offense. He will have guys run around him from time to time but he will swallow guys uo at the 2nd level as well.

We got rid of Massie because Ifedi is on the roster to play RT. I’d bet good money Jenkins could step in and play LT better than Leno, even as a rookie.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I didn't know he started 20 games at LT, i thought he only played RT.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We got rid of Massie because Ifedi is on the roster to play RT. I’d bet good money Jenkins could step in and play LT better than Leno, even as a rookie.

Ifedi will play RG like he started the year playing IMO. They signed him because he is versatile enough to play both and in the event they could not get a Tackle in the draft.

Jenkins may eventually grow into a LT but best suited to start at RT initially.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I know we'd all like to believe that is happening, but I think that is wishful thinking. Ifedi will be depth at T and G along with Bars and the scrub from Denver.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Ifedi will play RG like he started the year playing IMO. They signed him because he is versatile enough to play both and in the event they could not get a Tackle in the draft.

I think Ifedi being the starting RG would be a mistake. Whitehair-Mustipher-Daniels is the most talented interior. Removing mustipher from C is a mistake because both the other two have failed at C

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears

Ifedi will not play RG. Whitehair will. They will start Mustipher at C.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
I know we'd all like to believe that is happening, but I think that is wishful thinking. Ifedi will be depth at T and G along with Bars and the scrub from Denver.

Why exactly would that be wishful thinking? He’s started games at LT and what I’ve seen even from limited tape he’s definitely better than Leno.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Leno is going into year 1 of 2 optional void years in 2022. It's incredibly unlikely that Jenkins is their future plan at LT as all reports lend to him being more of a bruiser with inadequate length and drop to play LT.

Odd thought: want to really fuck with the paradigm of how offenses and defenses are schemed? Train more lefty QBs. You force the D to flip its line to accommodate the strong side/weak side tendency that favors RH QBs, and this extends all the way back. How many stud corners have only played on one side of the field and struggle if they mirror the 1WR? It may be a small thing in idea, but to a group of people that are specifically trained to do one task excessively well, that can be a solid curve. (maybe more Canadians should play QB since they hold their hockey sticks wrong [dominant hand high]?)

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Why exactly would that be wishful thinking? He’s started games at LT and what I’ve seen even from limited tape he’s definitely better than Leno.
I just don't think he was viewed as a guy to come in and start at LT immediately in the league. If he can dominate at RT, I'd rather have that then him playing a mediocre LT

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

His arm length is the only knock I can find that’s concerning for Tackle. He measured once at over 33inchs, which is encouraging.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whatever the Bears decide on Jenkins (LT/RT) stick him in one spot and leave him there.