CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It just takes 1 - ten game run to make the difference. So far this year...some teams had 10-12 game stretches -

Wash - 8-1-1 ....and 2-6-2

STL - 9-1-2 .....and 3-7-2

Hawks "best" stretch I think has been 7-3. Pitt started 6-7-1......and had a 12 game winnign streak.

How about a 9-2 run? LOL!

sth

Liked Posts:
The Hawks would have a better chance killing the penalties in the third if they didn't take 3 in a row. They were on the PK for 5 minutes in a row. After the last penalty I thought there was no way they kill another and I was right.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Very good number PMXC, interesting to see. I think the hawks had a good stretch and have played better of late now that the schedule has died down a bit, as far as not having a back to back every week. That 3 game losing streak really hurt them in terms of momentum and probably even confidence, but Tazer might have turned it all around in one shot, I guess we'll see next game.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Want to fix the PK? Then stop taking so many god damn penalties. It's as simple as that.
<
I have no idea why this club has taken so many penalties though. It's usually a sign of a team being out skated to be honest. Not sure if that theory fits here...maybe it does?

Did someone say our PK was at 80%? It's not, it's at 79% and this is bad. Thank god we have the leagues best PP so lets get back to drawing the other team into taking penalties and away from taking our own shitty ones. Something that is lacking this year to be honest. Last year and even the year before this team was fantastic at forcing the other team into taking penalties. This year? Not so much.

Anyways..good win last night. Nice to see a full roster again lets hope it remains so. I thought last night was a gut check win and yes this team is so Toews team. I can't say anything bad about last night. It was a good hockey game and fun to watch.

R K

Want to fix the PK? Then stop taking so many god damn penalties. It's as simple as that.
<
I have no idea why this club has taken so many penalties though. It's usually a sign of a team being out skated to be honest. Not sure if that theory fits here...maybe it does?

Did someone say our PK was at 80%? It's not, it's at 79% and this is bad. Thank god we have the leagues best PP so lets get back to drawing the other team into taking penalties and away from taking our own shitty ones. Something that is lacking this year to be honest. Last year and even the year before this team was fantastic at forcing the other team into taking penalties. This year? Not so much.

Anyways..good win last night. Nice to see a full roster again lets hope it remains so. I thought last night was a gut check win and yes this team is so Toews team. I can't say anything bad about last night. It was a good hockey game and fun to watch.

No it was 80% last night.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The Hawks have to average 6-4 for every ten game stretch for the rest of the season if they want to make the playoffs. Read into that whatever you like. A nice 9-1 stretch would really do a lot for my confidence.
<

We are one of the least penalized teams in the NHL. The problem is the type of penalties we take. Near the bottom of the NHL in bench penalties(TMM) and we take WAY too many offensive zone penalties.

Our PK has to get better, because law of averages says we're not going to get penalized much less than we currently are.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks have to average 6-4 for every ten game stretch for the rest of the season if they want to make the playoffs. Read into that whatever you like. A nice 9-1 stretch would really do a lot for my confidence.
<

We are one of the least penalized teams in the NHL. The problem is the type of penalties we take. Near the bottom of the NHL in bench penalties(TMM) and we take WAY too many offensive zone penalties.

Our PK has to get better, because law of averages says we're not going to get penalized much less than we currently are.

It is what it is. The mantra this season was always, "It's still early."

Guess what? It's not early anymore.

The good news is the that everyone is back now, hopefully for good.

This homestand just might be the difference between hockey or golf come April.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I dont think the mantra was ever "its early"...but it was going to be a process beforfe this team hit its stride.

The beginning..they were outshot ALOT - corrected that.

Giving up late goals/goals in bunches - corrected that.

Establish the number 1 goalie - have that stability.

The last things they need to do..

Clean up the PK

Stay healthy

More consistancy from key players

This team had a major overhaul of key players, and it would be foolish for anyone to think they were going to come in this year, and pick up where the team ended last year. Hell, it took last years team 2+ years to get to that level, I'm not sure why some think this team should have just been perfect from start.

(side note...you said the Hawks had a 9-2 stretch...when was that?...I coulndt see that)

R K

It is what it is. The mantra this season was always, "It's still early."

Guess what? It's not early anymore.

The good news is the that everyone is back now, hopefully for good.

This homestand just might be the difference between hockey or golf come April.

LOL

Wait maybe it was all the early games we lost? Maybe those were the difference between Hockey or Golf in April....? Golly Gee......

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The loss of depth from last season has reared its ugly head this year on the penalty kill...

Madden led all forwards last year with 2:18 SH TOI/G.

Fraser 1:26 SH TOI/G.

Versteeg 0:58 SH TOI/G.

Sopel was 3rd amongst dmen with 2:20 SH TOI/G.

While their offense is not missed, those minutes are "hard" minutes to replace. The additions of Pisani and Dowell have not compensated for the PK losses. That may be why Johnson is a valuable pick up.

All the regulars from last season have seen an increase in their PK time this season. Some are substantial-Toews an increase of :39, Hossa :38, Campbell :58, Bolland :25, Sharp :23. Kopecky played all of 38 seconds PK time the entire 2009-10 season and this year is averaging 45 seconds per game. Again these are hard minutes with a lot of energy expended.

When Scott, Skille, and Stalberg are in the forward line up, the team effectively has lost a bottom line to contribute to the PK. At least one of these three needs to be out of the line up on a regular basis.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The loss of depth from last season has reared its ugly head this year on the penalty kill...

Madden led all forwards last year with 2:18 SH TOI/G.

Fraser 1:26 SH TOI/G.

Versteeg 0:58 SH TOI/G.

Sopel was 3rd amongst dmen with 2:20 SH TOI/G.

While their offense is not missed, those minutes are "hard" minutes to replace. The additions of Pisani and Dowell have not compensated for the PK losses. That may be why Johnson is a valuable pick up.

All the regulars from last season have seen an increase in their PK time this season. Some are substantial-Toews an increase of :39, Hossa :38, Campbell :58, Bolland :25, Sharp :23. Kopecky played all of 38 seconds PK time the entire 2009-10 season and this year is averaging 45 seconds per game. Again these are hard minutes with a lot of energy expended.

When Scott, Skille, and Stalberg are in the forward line up, the team effectively has lost a bottom line to contribute to the PK. At least one of these three needs to be out of the line up on a regular basis.

Good observations, and it has definitely contributed.

I think the biggest issue on the PK this year, is failure to clear the puck. And that isn't coming from the new guys on the PK. That is coming from Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, and Bolland, mostly. We are just not getting the puck out of the zone when we have the chance, and it is more often than not ending up in the back of the net. Those guys are also getting beat to loose pucks, and getting beat in board battles, far more often than last year. The PK is all about outworking the other team, and we're just not doing that this year.

R K

Good observations, and it has definitely contributed.

I think the biggest issue on the PK this year, is failure to clear the puck. And that isn't coming from the new guys on the PK. That is coming from Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, and Bolland, mostly. We are just not getting the puck out of the zone when we have the chance, and it is more often than not ending up in the back of the net. Those guys are also getting beat to loose pucks, and getting beat in board battles, far more often than last year. The PK is all about outworking the other team, and we're just not doing that this year.

Add to that puck possession, which causes them to take dumb penalties, which puts them on the PK.

Good post Larmer and most definitely the crux of the issue. Although I will say Keith, Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson were all better last year. Keith and Hjarlmarsson are like night to day different this year.

Sopel may have done more back there than he got credit for yet all we often heard was how over paid he was. Funny the most expensive D man is now clearly the most consistent. We heard about his contract over and over again as well.

I have to beat my head on the wall though. I convinced myself that losing those "role players" would not hurt this team as much as it has. In the areas of puck possession, forward D, and overall grit and physicality. We've been man handled far more games this, than last.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Add to that puck possession, which causes them to take dumb penalties, which puts them on the PK.

Good post Larmer and most definitely the crux of the issue. Although I will say Keith, Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson were all better last year. Keith and Hjarlmarsson are like night to day different this year.

Sopel may have done more back there than he got credit for yet all we often heard was how over paid he was. Funny the most expensive D man is now clearly the most consistent. We heard about his contract over and over again as well.

I have to beat my head on the wall though. I convinced myself that losing those "role players" would not hurt this team as much as it has. In the areas of puck possession, forward D, and overall grit and physicality. We've been man handled far more games this, than last.

And you all laughed at me when I said Sopel had more value to this team that he was given credit for. Sopel took a lot of heat from a lot of you jerks last season and now you appreciate him? JERK FACES!!!

We all know the biggest "role player" that is missing is wearing the C in Atlanta. Just like to beat that into everyone for the next 20 years
<

Just being a dickhead.

I think the physical end of the game is def different. I def think this is a learning year again like it was 3 years ago for a lot of guys. Next year I think the team will be in a better position this time in the season as the newer boys get better situated with the overall system and NHL grind. Lots of hockey to be played yet this season but it looks like it will be a dog fight as it rolls on. I can't see the Hawks moving up that much in the standings. Not in this league. Not in this conference. Prepare for a hell of a second half to the season. Its going to be tight tight tight!! Makes it kinda fun
<