#9. Suns
#10. Hawks
#11. Cavs
#12. Raptors
#13. Sonics
#14. Wolves
#15. Knicks
#16. Bulls

No trades, All the teams have the luxury of knowing what happens.

How does the draft, and the draft alone change? Damn near every lottery team is picking someone else. If you want Manu #1, go for it.

Here's the cheat sheet.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In terms of value, Manu is the best player of this draft, but his career was entirely built on being drafted by the Spurs.

I don't think he is the player he is, if he's drafted by the Bulls.

Shawn Marion is the other best value player in this draft. Marion played with lesser talent than Manu, but he's also not changing any franchises.

This draft is actually pretty bad in terms of franchise changing picks because there are none.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In terms of value, Manu is the best player of this draft, but his career was entirely built on being drafted by the Spurs.

I don't think he is the player he is, if he's drafted by the Bulls.

Shawn Marion is the other best value player in this draft. Marion played with lesser talent than Manu, but he's also not changing any franchises.

This draft is actually pretty bad in terms of franchise changing picks because there are none.
I could see the argument for Marion at 1 actually. He did a bit of everything. Not really a shot creator like Manu, but otherwise he was an elite defender, decent enough shooter for the era, athletic, great rebounder for his size, and generally healthy throughout his career.

This draft is not good for drafting a franchise changing superstar, but it is good for getting complementary pieces. Lamar Odom, Rip Hamilton, AK-47, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, etc...

For a team in the Bulls situation in 1999, you know you're rebuilding for the next several years and there's not a super available here, but you can target Pau Gasol in a few years time. Of course maybe you play the long game here with all this hindsight and you're setting your sights on Lebron in the 03 draft. Idk what the parameters of future draft knowledge is here, but based on all teams having the luxury of knowing what happens, I imagine all the teams around the Bulls level are holding out hope for Lebron in 03 and thus maybe you just pick a player here to complement.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I could see the argument for Marion at 1 actually. He did a bit of everything. Not really a shot creator like Manu, but otherwise he was an elite defender, decent enough shooter for the era, athletic, great rebounder for his size, and generally healthy throughout his career.

This draft is not good for drafting a franchise changing superstar, but it is good for getting complementary pieces. Lamar Odom, Rip Hamilton, AK-47, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, etc...

For a team in the Bulls situation in 1999, you know you're rebuilding for the next several years and there's not a super available here, but you can target Pau Gasol in a few years time. Of course maybe you play the long game here with all this hindsight and you're setting your sights on Lebron in the 03 draft. Idk what the parameters of future draft knowledge is here, but based on all teams having the luxury of knowing what happens, I imagine all the teams around the Bulls level are holding out hope for Lebron in 03 and thus maybe you just pick a player here to complement.
Yeah this draft has plenty of compliment players.

In general the drafts of 1999-2002 are not good.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah this draft has plenty of compliment players.

In general the drafts of 1999-2002 are not good.
The next couple drafts are brutal. I suppose Crys might have picked this particular draft because it's the first draft after the MJ teams blew up, so in some ways this is like resetting the Bulls history from that point until now.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I just see it as a lose-lose scenario for the Bulls. Even with 2 picks. .... Even if you know the future, and the rest of the league doesn't.

I might pick Brand still, because there ain't shit you can do, and nobody has any real trade value until their rookie contract is long over....unless you go Stevie Franchise and let him go nuts. I just don't know, it's just full of poor fits and unknowns. Like 1990

This is not a bad draft, just a poorly ordered one. That's why looking at it as a re-draft, we might have some huge changes. What if Maggette went to the Wizards instead of RIP? Worse, or who knows, Jordan shows him how to play the position without putting so much wear on his body(or he breaks him at the end of his Black Jesus phase). Or if I'm the most bumbling architect GM in the modern era from the future, do I fuck up AK47's career by putting him where it doesn't fit? *cough* Grunwald(IDGAF if you're from Chicago).

But yeah, 1999. Scoot and clone discussing Bulls #1 pick luck in the other thread, and I was like, damn, that 1999 draft really isn't helping many teams. Try to rebound, I don't see it happening.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suppose I will actually take a stab at this thing...

#1 (CHI) - Shawn Marion
My logic here is Chicago plays the long game knowing they'll suck for the next several years. They get a utility player to hopefully pair with someone good later

#2 (VAN) - Manu Ginobili
Steve Francis never wanted to play here anyway, they already had Bibby at PG as well, which is why I assume they just picked Francis to trade him IRL. They have Michael Dickerson at SG already, but knowing his career ends in a few year's time they pick up Manu to be their SG of the future.

#3 (CHH) - Steve Francis
I feel like Charlotte wants a scorer here to pair with Eddie Jones. Francis was presumably ok playing here, unlike Vancouver IRL, and fits that role out the gate unlike Baron Davis. Elton Brand is an option as well, but Charlotte has kind of established vets in their frontcourt already (though Brand is technically better).

#4 (LAC) - Baron Davis
Their PG situation kinda sucks and BD gives them a scorer and playmaker that probably helps make everyone else look better than they did with Odom. Lot of theoretical options here because the Clippers franchise at this stage is just a mess

#5 (TOR) - Elton Brand
IRL they trade Bender for Antonio Davis to shore up their front court. Brand comes in and gives them more production than Antonio Davis ever did. Vince Carter, TMac, Elton Brand...not too shabby. TMac likely still bolts for another team in 2000 though.

#6 (MIN) - Wally Szczerbiak
I actually think Wally fits what Minnesota is going for and guys like Rip Hamilton, Jason Terry, or Corey Maggette don't quite bring the same element that Wally does to this team. People sleep on Wally I think, he was a bucket getter.

#7 (WAS) - Corey Maggette
MJ's return is looming. I always thought drafting Rip here then trading him for Jerry Stackhouse was a weird sequence of events, but MJ is also a terrible GM. They already have solid players in Rod Strickland, Mitch Richmond, and Juwan Howard to carry the offensive load, though IRL they're out of there very soon for various reasons. Presuming they want a wing player now, Maggette can slot in at SF and fit alongside those players they currently have, and presumably fits alongside MJ in his comeback.

#8 (CLE) - Lamar Odom
Wow this roster is something else. Lot of viable options here probably. IRL they draft Andre Miller, despite having 2 decent young PGs on the roster already (granted, Miller is the best of all of them). They're so weak at like every position I feel like Odom just kinda makes sense as a do it all player with size and ball handling. They still get playmaking, but also a boost in shooting in scoring compared to their actual Andre Miller pick.

#9 (PHO) - Andrei Kirilenko
Since the parameters say that nothing but the draft changes, idk if this pick makes sense in the "now" for Phoenix, but they need a SF and AK-47 is the closest approximation to Marion here. If he doesn't come for a couple years still, they just tough it out until then, it'll be worth the wait.

#10 (ATL) - Andre Miller
Technically they have scorers already, so Miller gives them a good set up man. I could also see Rip Hamilton here, but technically he plays the same position as their leading scorers...but they also blow the team up the next year so...

Ran out of time for now, I'll see if I can do the rest of the lottery at least later

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just see it as a lose-lose scenario for the Bulls. Even with 2 picks. .... Even if you know the future, and the rest of the league doesn't.

I might pick Brand still, because there ain't shit you can do, and nobody has any real trade value until their rookie contract is long over....unless you go Stevie Franchise and let him go nuts.

This is not a bad draft, just a poorly ordered one. That's why looking at it as a re-draft, we might have some huge changes. What if Maggette went to the Wizards instead of RIP? Worse, or who knows, Jordan shows him how to play the position without putting so much wear on his body(or he breaks him at the end of his Black Jesus phase). Or if I'm the most bumbling architect GM in the modern era from the future, do I fuck up AK47's career by putting him where it doesn't fit? *cough* Grunwald(IDGAF if you're from Chicago).

But yeah, 1999. Scoot and clone discussing Bulls #1 pick luck in the other thread, and I was like, damn, that 1999 draft really isn't helping many teams. Try to rebound, I don't see it happening.
There's no needle movers, which at the end of the day still makes it kind of a long game proposition if you want to rewrite history to give the Bulls a better outcome. I picked Marion because of like super hindsight, but realistically, Brand or Francis is a very logical pick. Francis gives the Bulls a DRose before DRose in a way. Like you wouldn't build your franchise around Marion for sure, but you could argue you would for Brand or Francis at the time. Krause loves his PFs so Brand it was IRL.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I might pick Brand still, because there ain't shit you can do, and nobody has any real trade value until their rookie contract is long over....unless you go Stevie Franchise and let him go nuts. I just don't know, it's just full of poor fits and unknowns. Like 1990

Yeah after reviewing the options, I may have still picked Brand as well, especially given how the NBA was structured in 99-00.

There are plenty of decent to good players in this draft, just no one you're franchise building around. This draft probably has better players overall than the next 3 drafts. 2000 is the worst draft ever. 2001 has Gasol are a better tier player, but he's still not a guy leading your franchise to victory (he was best as second fiddle as he showed with LAL). 2002 has Yao and Amare, who are pretty good, but always hurt. Boozer is your second round find, but again, not leading your team anywhere himself.

Jerry Krause just really picked the 4 worst years to tank and rebuild this team. By the time they needed to actually tank, he had assembled a roster that won enough games to not get a Top 5 lotto pick.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah after reviewing the options, I may have still picked Brand as well, especially given how the NBA was structured in 99-00.

There are plenty of decent to good players in this draft, just no one you're franchise building around. This draft probably has better players overall than the next 3 drafts. 2000 is the worst draft ever. 2001 has Gasol are a better tier player, but he's still not a guy leading your franchise to victory (he was best as second fiddle as he showed with LAL). 2002 has Yao and Amare, who are pretty good, but always hurt. Boozer is your second round find, but again, not leading your team anywhere himself.

Jerry Krause just really picked the 4 worst years to tank and rebuild this team. By the time they needed to actually tank, he had assembled a roster that won enough games to not get a Top 5 lotto pick.
Basically, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really matter what the Bulls do from 99-2002 except that by 2002 you have to suck enough to get a top 4 pick in the 2003 draft to get one of Lebron, Melo, DWade, Bosh. That's basically the only way to change the direction of the post Jordan era. I suppose you also have to hope that the big 3 assembles themselves in Chicago instead of Miami or wherever else later on as well if that event is still taking place.