The Captain

genefoley

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4678523/qa-with-jamal-mayers</p>

</p>

Q. What did it mean to you for the team to petition to get your name on the Stanley Cup?

A.
It’s the story I’ll tell my grandkids. To me, I think the ultimate leader in hockey growing up was Mark Messier. I think Taser [Jonathan Toews] is on the path to where they talk about the leadership quality that he has. Over time, I don’t think there’s going to be a difference when you’re discussing a true leader whether it’s Messier or Jonathan Toews. Taser has a lot of hockey left in him. I think he took a huge step in the last few years. It’s amazing to me at the age of 25. It took me to my 30s to realize to have a bigger picture and not just think of yourself for the next game. You want your teammates to do well, but you’re focusing only on yourself. It takes guys longer to have a bigger picture. He has that. He knows he can’t win with just him and him and (Patrick Kane). He knows he has to have that group.

We have the same agent. It was told to me once that Taser went to Stan [Bowman] and said, ‘They don’t have to put Captain on the Cup if it means helps getting Jammer’s name on it. If that helps make room, I'll do it.’ I guess Stan’s response was, ‘You don’t have to do that. His name will be on the Cup.’ My point is – that’s something I’ll tell my grandkids. Can you believe how selfless this guy is and what a leader this guy was? It’s amazing.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Horribly written article, nice message.</p>

</p>

Toews rules.</p>

genefoley

Liked Posts:
If I'm starting a team I'll take Toews over any player in the world with the first pick</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Thought it was interesting what he said about the decision to play Ben Smith.</p>

genefoley

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimson" data-cid="215774" data-time="1385948066">
<div>

Horribly written article, nice message.</p>

</p>

Toews rules.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

yes, it's very poorly written. Toews is the fuckin man</p>

genefoley

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="215776" data-time="1385948900">
<div>

Thought it was interesting what he said about the decision to play Ben Smith.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I thought that too. Sounds a bit bitter</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Yeah especially after he was just preaching about Toews and learning how to be selfless for the betterment of the team. Okay Jamal lol.</p>

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="215776" data-time="1385948900">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

haven't heard this one.</p>

</p>

please, continue. </p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
It's from that Q&A that's linked:</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">Q. Did it ever bother you that Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville played Ben Smith instead of you in the Stanley Cup finals?

A.
I would like to think that would be handled a little bit different if they had to that over again. Those feelings pale in comparison to winning the Stanley Cup and being a part of a group to do it. I have a pretty good perspective of my career and what kind of player I was. If I had finished my season with the Colorado Avalanche, not a single person would be interested in what Jamal Mayers is doing in retirement. I got to end my career playing on the best team in the world. I focus on my contributions and being a good teammate. I focus on all those things versus to thinking about what could have been and should have been.

</p>
</blockquote>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Was the fucking idiot who typed this drunk while doing so?</p>

</p>

Holy shit, bad.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit...</p>

</p>

Q. I noticed you’ve created a hockey tip of the week on Twitter. Is that a way to pass on some of your hockey knowledge?

A.
I think there’s nuisances of the game, the details of the game I had to pay attention to stay in the league. There’s no reason why I can’t pass this along. Little tips for young hockey players to help them, even older guys who are playing that helps them out. It’s a fun way to give back a little.</p>

</p>

Is there no editor at ESPN?</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<div>

LOL

ABOUT THIS BLOG
</div>

powers_scott_m.jpg
</p>

Scott Powers

<u>Powers is an award-winning journalist</u> and has been reporting on preps, colleges and pros for publications throughout the Midwest since 1997. He has been a reporter for ESPNChicago.com since 2009.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I won an award once for being the 25th best speller in my 5 grade class of 24 people.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Gene Honda" data-cid="215775" data-time="1385948175">
<div>

If I'm starting a team I'll take Toews over any player in the world with the first pick</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Really? I would take Ryan Garbutt</p>

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="215799" data-time="1386010364">
<div>

Really? I would take Ryan Garbutt</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Grant Clitsome has to be in consideration here.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tony DeFrancesco" data-cid="215843" data-time="1386041434">
<div>

Grant Clitsome has to be in consideration here.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Pick #1 & #2 Garbutt and Clitsome. </p>

</p>

Classic Butt to Clit goals would become an everyday thing. </p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="215870" data-time="1386093943">
<div>

Pick #1 & #2 Garbutt and Clitsome. </p>

</p>

Classic Butt to Clit goals would become an everyday thing. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

They'd have to have Taint Nugget play their goal music.</p>

genefoley

Liked Posts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYM-4aqJnm8</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
If they had only won that game, that would've gone down as one of the greatest goals ever. Still kinda hurts to watch that.</p>