The Cardinals and Rams ESPN beat writers both have Rams winning

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Games are won and lost on the field, not on predictions, but I find perception versus reality really interesting sometimes.

The logical part of my brain and a lifetime of being a Bears fan tells me what’s most likely is that the Bears lose and Cardinals win, keeping the Bears on the outside looking in.

But that’s not what the probability stats show.

ESPN Statcast has the Bears with a 75 percent chance of making the playoffs, and the Cardinals with a 38 percent chance.

In fact, both Rams and Cardinals ESPN beat reporters have the Rams winning and holding Kyler Murray and the Cards’ offense in check. And ESPN’s own predictive algorithm has the Rams with over a 60 percent chance of winning.

I don’t know what’s going to happen Sunday. I’m not saying ESPN is definitely right. I’m not bargaining or hedging. (I actually personally still think the Bears won’t make the playoffs, but I’d love to be wrong!) I just find this instance of perception versus reality pretty interesting.

Cardinals at Rams

4:25 p.m. ET | CBS
Matchup rating:
57.4 | Spread: ARI -3 (40.5)

What to watch for: The Rams have won seven straight against the Cardinals under coach Sean McVay, and despite an injury-depleted offense, a top-ranked defense makes eight possible. Watch for defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey to wreak havoc against quarterback Kyler Murrayand his arsenal of playmakers. In Week 10, Murray was sacked twice and limited to 173 passing yards, though he did toss three touchdowns. The Cardinals' defense has a chance to capitalize on a Rams offense that will be led by backup quarterback John Wolford, who will be making his first NFL appearance. -- Lindsey Thiry

Bold prediction: The Cardinals will finish with fewer than 250 yards of total offense in the most important game for this franchise in the past five seasons. The Rams' defense is ranked first overall in yards per game, yards per play, passing yards per game and passing yards per play, along with third in rushing yards per game and per play. With Murray dealing with a leg injury, the Cardinals' offense will feel the effects, which will be compounded by the Rams' stout defense. -- Josh Weinfuss

Stat to know: Arizona wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins can become the fourth player in franchise history with eight 100-yard receiving games in a season. Rob Moore had eight in 1997, David Boston had nine in 2001 and Anquan Boldin had eight in 2005.

Playoff/draft picture: This one is huge for both sides. The Rams can clinch a playoff berth with a win or a Chicago loss, while the Cardinals can punch their ticket with a win. The Rams have an 87.7% chance to make the playoffs, according to FPI projections, while the Cards are at 37.3%.

Injuries: Cardinals | Rams

What to know for fantasy: Murray has 29 rushing attempts over his past three games, nearly doubling the 15 he had in his prior three games. He has only 43 rushing yards in three career matchups with the Rams, but at least the effort is being made to utilize his most fantasy-friendly trait. See Week 17 rankings.

Betting nugget: The Rams have covered each of the past seven head-to-head matchups (six of which were by more than a TD). Read more.

Weinfuss' pick: Rams 24, Cardinals 21
Thiry's pick: Rams 13, Cardinals 10
FPI prediction: LAR, 62.7% (by an average of 4.3 points)

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I think ARI wins and the Bears lose, however I do think that LAR still have a fair shot at winning. Better than the Bears at least, so I wouldn't be shocked to see LAR win sunday, sending themselves and the Bears to the playoffs, but right now I'm thinking ARI and GB win Sunday leaving CHI out of it. That's just the way I see it happening.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I just think the Cardinals are an average to below average team that has an 8-7 record mainly because of the mobility and novelty of Murray. They won a game by pure luck against the Bills and their only other win vs a team above 500 was at home against the Seahawks in OT. If they played the Bears on Sunday, I would pick the Bears to win.

With that said, I think the Rams are a better team even without Goff. Murray has a leg injury as well which will affect his mobility. I doubt he turns into a pure pocket passer against the Rams defense. The Rams just need to not turn the ball over and they should win.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Plus, although Rams backup Woldford has only played preseason, he's been there 2 years, he was brought up to NFL cause he played Alliance of American Football well, which is played like NFL football.

Sometimes a new QB, who hasn't been "figured out" yet by Defenses can do well. Im feeling for confident the Rams might win this.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If they win, it's going to be like a 13-7 type of game where their defense has their best game of the season.

Don't count on it.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would hate like hell to back into the playoffs..Just beat GB, and be done with it

Not going to happen. According to some here, there’s a massive conspiracy where the refs will do anything to make sure Green Bay wins.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I would hate like hell to back into the playoffs..Just beat GB, and be done with it

A Bears fan saying they would hate to see them in playoffs?? Who cares how they get in!

The Bears have been to the playoffs just 5x in the last 2 decades. Fuck how they get in, the Bears on playoff schedule is fucking fantastic!

Chip and a Seat!

Reactions: DC

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
whining about the Bears 'backing in' to the playoffs seems kind of silly when the 4 seed could be 6-10

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A Bears fan saying they would hate to see them in playoffs?? Who cares how they get in!

The Bears have been to the playoffs just 5x in the last 2 decades. Fuck how they get in, the Bears on playoff schedule is fucking fantastic!

Chip and a Seat!
You need a course in reading comprehension.. I never said I would hate to see them in the playoffs

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Games are won and lost on the field, not on predictions, but I find perception versus reality really interesting sometimes.

The logical part of my brain and a lifetime of being a Bears fan tells me what’s most likely is that the Bears lose and Cardinals win, keeping the Bears on the outside looking in.

But that’s not what the probability stats show.

ESPN Statcast has the Bears with a 75 percent chance of making the playoffs, and the Cardinals with a 38 percent chance.

In fact, both Rams and Cardinals ESPN beat reporters have the Rams winning and holding Kyler Murray and the Cards’ offense in check. And ESPN’s own predictive algorithm has the Rams with over a 60 percent chance of winning.

I don’t know what’s going to happen Sunday. I’m not saying ESPN is definitely right. I’m not bargaining or hedging. (I actually personally still think the Bears won’t make the playoffs, but I’d love to be wrong!) I just find this instance of perception versus reality pretty interesting.

Cardinals at Rams

4:25 p.m. ET | CBS
Matchup rating:
57.4 | Spread: ARI -3 (40.5)

What to watch for: The Rams have won seven straight against the Cardinals under coach Sean McVay, and despite an injury-depleted offense, a top-ranked defense makes eight possible. Watch for defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey to wreak havoc against quarterback Kyler Murrayand his arsenal of playmakers. In Week 10, Murray was sacked twice and limited to 173 passing yards, though he did toss three touchdowns. The Cardinals' defense has a chance to capitalize on a Rams offense that will be led by backup quarterback John Wolford, who will be making his first NFL appearance. -- Lindsey Thiry

Bold prediction: The Cardinals will finish with fewer than 250 yards of total offense in the most important game for this franchise in the past five seasons. The Rams' defense is ranked first overall in yards per game, yards per play, passing yards per game and passing yards per play, along with third in rushing yards per game and per play. With Murray dealing with a leg injury, the Cardinals' offense will feel the effects, which will be compounded by the Rams' stout defense. -- Josh Weinfuss

Stat to know: Arizona wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins can become the fourth player in franchise history with eight 100-yard receiving games in a season. Rob Moore had eight in 1997, David Boston had nine in 2001 and Anquan Boldin had eight in 2005.

Playoff/draft picture: This one is huge for both sides. The Rams can clinch a playoff berth with a win or a Chicago loss, while the Cardinals can punch their ticket with a win. The Rams have an 87.7% chance to make the playoffs, according to FPI projections, while the Cards are at 37.3%.

Injuries: Cardinals | Rams

What to know for fantasy: Murray has 29 rushing attempts over his past three games, nearly doubling the 15 he had in his prior three games. He has only 43 rushing yards in three career matchups with the Rams, but at least the effort is being made to utilize his most fantasy-friendly trait. See Week 17 rankings.

Betting nugget: The Rams have covered each of the past seven head-to-head matchups (six of which were by more than a TD). Read more.

Weinfuss' pick: Rams 24, Cardinals 21
Thiry's pick: Rams 13, Cardinals 10
FPI prediction: LAR, 62.7% (by an average of 4.3 points)
I want to win to get in. If we can ruin GBs shot at the #1 seed while getting in the playoffs its all the better.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Not going to happen. According to some here, there’s a massive conspiracy where the refs will do anything to make sure Green Bay wins.
Not a massive conspiracy, but im stick of seeing them get all the calls, all the time. The Tennessee game a was a perfect example.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
It would be awkward to see the Bears in the playoffs if they get smoked though lol.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Agreed with the beat GB and be done with it. But regardless without the new rules Bears wouldn’t make the playoffs in past years anyways. I’m just having a hard time being excited about a potential 8-8 playoff berth.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Chip and a Seat!

Glad you’re excited. Only thing that’s really changed this year is the bar of entry. But yay.... go Bears.... ?

sry.... really not trying to be a dick but this current Bears team does nothing for me.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Glad you’re excited. Only thing that’s really changed this year is the bar of entry. But yay.... go Bears.... ?

sry.... really not trying to be a dick but this current Bears team does nothing for me.

I agree... but I’d rather a wildcard weekend with the Bears on the schedule. We don’t get this very often. Enjoy it!

The Bears would still have a change even if the “bar of entry” was the same as 2019.

Chip and a Seat!!!