In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
CORNERBACK is being a bit ignored but soon it might just be the #1 need for the Chicago Bears. I say this because if anyone is willing to pay Kyle Fuller MORE than the $12.9M he is getting on the transition tag, it doesn't make alot of fiscal sense to match. The reason is because just as Sacks are the money maker for Edge Rushers, Interceptions are the key for CB's.

1. Trumaine Johnson $16.7M (7 Int 2015 two other years with 3)
2. Josh Norman $15M (4 Int 2015 3 another year)
3. Xavier Rhodes $14M (5 Int 2016)
4. Patrick Peterson $14M (7 Int 2012 three other with 3)
5. Desmond Trufant $13.75 (3 Int 2014)
6. AJ Bouye $13.5M (3 Int 2014, 6 Int 2017)
7. Stephon Gilmore $13M (5 int 2015, two others with 3)
8. Janoris Jenkins $12.5M (4 int 2012, three others with 3)
9. Darius Slay $12M (8 Int 2017)
10. Dre Kirkpatrick $10.5M (3 Int in three seasons)
11. Jimmy Smith $10.27M (3 Int in two seasons)
12. Logan Ryan $10M (5 Int 2013, 4 Int in another)
13. Aqib Talib $9.5M (6 Int 2010, 4+ Int in multiple seasons)
14. Robert Alford $9.5M (3 Int 2014)

Basically it appears Desmond Trufant with only one year above 2 INTs is overpaid and and the same can also be said of Kyle Fuller who also has one year over 2 Ints. We all know the value of takeaways on the outcome of the game so why should the Bears pay premium money to a guy that can't fulfill that requirement? Wouldn't the Bears be better served moving on if anyone is looking to pay this guy through the roof? They do have the 8th pick so they could take a CB there (maybe not Denzel Ward who also has never had more than 2 Int's) or just sign Trumaine Johnson to the same kind of contract Richard Sherman and his Achilles tendons are getting from the Niners, and let Fuller leave after this year if he doesn't pick up his productivity.

Kyle had a solid rookie season, terrible second season, quit on the team his third season, and was constantly targeted because he doesn't make interceptions in his fourth season. I'm not saying he didn't have a good 2017 because I'm sure some PFF stat can be manufactured to show he was a world beater, but how much is he truly worth?

I'd say 4yrs $48M contract would be fair, maybe even add another team option for a 5th year to sweeten the pot to 5/60 and Kyle should be a happy camper.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sorry to say you have a serious case of stupid. Between wanting Watkins and not wanting Fuller I really wonder if you want any actual talent on the team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The idea of tagging him was to let him find his value and sign him to a long term deal for less than the tag price but with more guaranteed money. No one is signing him long term for the yearly tag #.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Last year Pace was ready to pay up for AJ Bouye even though he only had 1 int for the Texans. Fuller's numbers last year were actually better than Bouye's 2016 season.

Bouye 2016, 63 tackles, 18 passes defensed, 1 int
Fuller 2017, 61 tackles, 24 passes defensed, 2 int.

Not much of a case if any for not bringing back Fuller.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Fuller isn't worth more than 10 million a season given his track record. He can't also generate turnovers. He's a solid CB, but as was stated, you pay for turnovers. And he isn't generating turnovers because he isn't being targeted either.

4 years/35 million, 16 million guaranteed.

I believe Fuller's camp will eventually angle for a short-term contract to give Fuller a chance to give himself more time to create more demand for his services.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Last year Pace was ready to pay up for AJ Bouye even though he only had 1 int for the Texans. Fuller's numbers last year were actually better than Bouye's 2016 season.

Bouye 2016, 63 tackles, 18 passes defensed, 1 int
Fuller 2017, 61 tackles, 24 passes defensed, 2 int.

Not much of a case if any for not bringing back Fuller.

The fact that Fuller got the transition tag makes it a different ball game. Teams are gonna be hesitant to tie up money in Fuller when the Bears get a week to match, IIRC. More than likely, Fuller will be playing on a 1 year deal at the end of the day.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Fuller isn't worth more than 10 million a season given his track record. He can't also generate turnovers. He's a solid CB, but as was stated, you pay for turnovers. And he isn't generating turnovers because he isn't being targeted either.

4 years/35 million, 16 million guaranteed.

I believe Fuller's camp will eventually angle for a short-term contract to give Fuller a chance to give himself more time to create more demand for his services.

Fuller was actually the most targeted CB in the league last year. Also, in the OP.....Trufant has 9 INTs in 72 games. Fuller has 8 in 48. Fuller also has a 4 pick season, something that Trufant, Kirkpatrick, Smith and Alford don't have of the top 15 highest paid CBs. And I think some of the 22 pass deflections will turn into INTs with a little more luck. You don't get your hands on that many passes without catching them typically. His hands aren't the issue, clearly. But a couple more throws slightly to the inside of the receiver, a lucky bounce on a tip, and I think Fuller has 5-6 INT potential in the very near future.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As glamorous as interceptions are, you pay CBs to cover their man. Fuller took a big step forward in that area last year, and was a big reason why our defense was so competitive.

I'd rather have a CB that forces the QB to hold onto the ball and work to his second and third target.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As glamorous as interceptions are, you pay CBs to cover their man. Fuller took a big step forward in that area last year, and was a big reason why our defense was so competitive.

I'd rather have a CB that forces the QB to hold onto the ball and work to his second and third target.

Fuller was in position to make INTs last year, just didn't haul them in unfortunately.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Fuller is young, talented, and knows the system. A team trying to rebuild needs to sign such a player.

**People need to stop bashing his 2015 season, go back and look how he finished**

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Forget INTs, go back to our first game against the Packers where Rodgers threw 2 TDs in like the first 6 minutes of the game and ask yourself how much are you willing to pay for that effort. Even considering who it was against, it was pathetic.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fuller was in position to make INTs last year, just didn't haul them in unfortunately.

Pass breakups are just as critical for top cornerbacks. The Bears were ranked 7th against the pass and Fuller was the most targeted corner in the league. If you don't think he was a large part of why we were 7th against the pass I got nothing for ya.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dunno. Look what Philly and even Tampa did to our supposedly "top ten" defense. Blown out of the game quick.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Forget INTs, go back to our first game against the Packers where Rodgers threw 2 TDs in like the first 6 minutes of the game and ask yourself how much are you willing to pay for that effort. Even considering who it was against, it was pathetic.

You probably want to go back and check those touchdowns again chief. Kyle Fuller was credited with giving up 2 touchdowns all season long and those were against Minnesota in week 5 and Green Bay in week 10. Fuller didn't give up anything against Green Bay in week 4.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Fuller has to signed. He's going to get paid. Bears fans are not used to having good NFL caliber players on our team anymore. They require higher capital to sign and retain. We can't keep letting good players leave when cash is not an issue.

Besides signing Fuller, the team needs to invest more cash at CB on the #2 CB or use a high draft pick there. We need depth there as well.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I dunno. Look what Philly and even Tampa did to our supposedly "top ten" defense. Blown out of the game quick.

Nothing "supposedly" about it dorkchop. 10th in yards and 9th in points.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kyle Fuller is one of only a very small handful of Bears that you could even argue are top 10-12 at their position.... and you don't care to retain him?

What?

I also think he has room to improve too. You pay for future production, not past. And I think the arrow is pointing up for Kyle.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pass breakups are just as critical for top cornerbacks. The Bears were ranked 7th against the pass and Fuller was the most targeted corner in the league. If you don't think he was a large part of why we were 7th against the pass I got nothing for ya.

I was saying that as a positive. He very easily could have had 5+ INT's. It's all about being in position and Fuller passed that test last year. The OP is basically saying Fuller isn't worth it because his INT total is lower then his peers. If he plays the same way in 2018, he'll haul in some of those INTs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing "supposedly" about it dorkchop. 10th in yards and 9th in points.

The problem is that he's going to point out any given bad game the defense had and use it as an example against a cumulative rating. Its stupid but what do you expect from this dorkchop. FWIW the week 10 contest against GB was Fuller's worst graded game on the entire season.