Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The problem is that he's going to point out any given bad game the defense had and use it as an example against a cumulative rating. Its stupid but what do you expect from this dorkchop. FWIW the week 10 contest against GB was Fuller's worst graded game on the entire season.

I mean it's fair to point out bad games. But most good players have bad games, and a lot of modest players put up a star performance here and there. Fuller is a good player and we should have no problem pointing out where he needs to get better.

Some pessimists just want to focus on the bad shit, but most of us are on the optimistic side. Look at all the fans clamoring to pay the man! I bet this time next year, the haters will be cut in half.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also think he has room to improve too. You pay for future production, not past. And I think the arrow is pointing up for Kyle.

Based on statements during and after the season, Pace and Fangio seem to agree with that sentiment and so do I. If Fuller held onto a few of those PDs he'd be the clear #1 CB on the market. But then again, we wouldn't be talking about the transition tag.

He's been around the ball consistently; hopefully he works to improve his ball skills in the offseason.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was saying that as a positive. He very easily could have had 5+ INT's. It's all about being in position and Fuller passed that test last year. The OP is basically saying Fuller isn't worth it because his INT total is lower then his peers. If he plays the same way in 2018, he'll haul in some of those INTs.

Gotcha, me personally I would rather see him improve in other areas than just getting more interceptions. If he made a more consistent effort to track the ball he would avoid penalties and get more opportunities at making those interceptions or racking up even more batted passes. The kid had a great season and still has room for improvement.

Let me put it into perspective. Fuller was thrown at 119 times and still only allowed a 51.3 completion percentage. There was only one cornerback in the league with a remotely comparable completion percentage with a high number of targets against him. Jalen Ramsey at 92 targets with a 51.1 completion percentage.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing "supposedly" about it dorkchop. 10th in yards and 9th in points.

It's just my personal opinion, but defenses with the "arrow pointing up" shouldn't get blown out in the 1st quarter by a couple of teams that didn't even make the playoffs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's just my personal opinion, but defenses with the "arrow pointing up" shouldn't get blown out in the 1st quarter by a couple of teams that didn't even make the playoffs.

You do realize that at varying times of the year we also had injured/suspended players on defense right? Starters...

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

In those games we got blown out early by GB and TB Glennon had 7 turnovers in both of those games. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it though right??????

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If memory serves, the 1st GB game was over in the 1st quarter because of Glennon turnovers. The TB game opened up with a blown coverage by Freeman didn't it?

Same situation. Whenever the Bears went down early with Glennon, the offense was impotent and time of possession skewed ridiculously in favor of the opponent. You could see how demoralizing it was for the D. It got better with Trubisky but the run-run-pass-punt handcuffing didn't help.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears can't keep home grown talent, the franchise will forever be bad.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears can't keep home grown talent, the franchise will forever be bad.

Yeah, that's why I think it was a mistake to let Jeffery go. Even if he didn't want to be here, we should have tagged him again. Obviously that isn't the case with Fuller.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In those games we got blown out early by GB and TB Glennon had 7 turnovers in both of those games. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it though right??????

What about the Philly game? They lost 31-3. I realize they lost to the eventual SB Champion, but they easily could have lost 41-3. Again, I'm not saying they have to be a SB caliber defense. I'm just saying the arrow might not be pointing up. If things don't go as some are predicting (arrow pointing up), I think there's some obvious red flags that are being ignored.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about the Philly game? They lost 31-3. I realize they lost to the eventual SB Champion, but they easily could have lost 41-3. Again, I'm not saying they have to be a SB caliber defense. I'm just saying the arrow might not be pointing up. If things don't go as some are predicting (arrow pointing up), I think there's some obvious red flags that are being ignored.

I don't think anyone is saying the defense is perfect. There are still holes to be filled. The linebacking corps would be the most obvious example of that. We need to improve depth almost everywhere. But the arrow is pointing up because of the young talent coming together because of good coaching on that side of the ball.

Who thought our secondary would be a strength going into last season?

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Lets compare:

Trumaine Johnson
2013 3 int
2014 3 int
2015 7 int
2012 2 int
2017 2 int

Kyle Fuller
2014 4 int
2015 2 int
2017 2 int

Again for the smartasses, no one is saying Fuller sucks but compared to the other top paid CBs he should be considered a #2 and not paid like he’s a shutdown corner. If choosing to pay T. Johnson $13.5 or K. Fuller $13.5 the smarter move is to sign Trumaine Johnson.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Nothing "supposedly" about it dorkchop. 10th in yards and 9th in points.

Since we are discussing CB value, the question isnt where the entire defense ranks, but where does the Bears SECONDARY rank in the NFL?

You say pay for future production so you think Kyle Fuller is worthy of being paid like the Richard Sherman of the Bears secondary for the next 4-5yrs?

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Lets see where the top defenses rank based on Passer Rating which is a better indicator of the performance of the Secondary....

1. Jacksonville 68.5
2. Baltimore 72.4
3. Vikings 73.0
4. Chargers 78.1
5. Rams 78.4
6. Bills 78.9
7. Saints 79.0
8. Seahawks 79.1
9. Eagles 79.5
10. Skins 81.0
11. KC 81.5

18. BEARS 89.9

(At least it was an improvement from the 93.3 rating of 2016)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Last year Pace was ready to pay up for AJ Bouye even though he only had 1 int for the Texans. Fuller's numbers last year were actually better than Bouye's 2016 season.

Bouye 2016, 63 tackles, 18 passes defensed, 1 int
Fuller 2017, 61 tackles, 24 passes defensed, 2 int.

Not much of a case if any for not bringing back Fuller.

It's all about the guaranteed money though. More then likely after 2 years of whatever long term contract he signs the guaranteed money will be gone so if he isn't the K.Fuller we hope he is then he gone after two years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Fuller isn't worth more than 10 million a season given his track record. He can't also generate turnovers. He's a solid CB, but as was stated, you pay for turnovers. And he isn't generating turnovers because he isn't being targeted either.

4 years/35 million, 16 million guaranteed.

I believe Fuller's camp will eventually angle for a short-term contract to give Fuller a chance to give himself more time to create more demand for his services.

He had 24 passes defensed which means he either got his hands on the ball or close to it 24 times so he can definitely up those 2 INT's to 5 or 6 pretty easily.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lets see where the top defenses rank based on Passer Rating which is a better indicator of the performance of the Secondary....

1. Jacksonville 68.5
2. Baltimore 72.4
3. Vikings 73.0
4. Chargers 78.1
5. Rams 78.4
6. Bills 78.9
7. Saints 79.0
8. Seahawks 79.1
9. Eagles 79.5
10. Skins 81.0
11. KC 81.5

18. BEARS 89.9

(At least it was an improvement from the 93.3 rating of 2016)

Kyle Fuller held opponents to a cumulative 69 passer rating for the season...might want to try a different angle than passer rating.

Lets further tear apart your argument here. There is a such thing as strength of schedule. The Bears played one of toughest schedules in the NFL. What ended up being the 4th toughest.

Your list...

Jacksonville played the 26th toughest schedule
Baltimore played the 32nd toughest schedule
Minnesota played the 6th toughest schedule
Chargers played the 27th toughest schedule
Rams played the 12th toughest schedule
Buffalo played the 21st toughest schedule
New Orleans played the 7th toughest schedule
Seattle played the 20th toughest schedule
Philadelphia played the 9th toughest schedule
Washington played the 3rd toughest schedule
Kansas City played the 28th toughest schedule