The case for Jay Rodgers as Defensive Coordinator

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The Bears should seriously consider promoting from within.

No good DC is going to come to a team where they're likely to blow it up after one year. And are the players going to completely buy in on a whole new situation from a new DC and potentially new defensive coaching staff?

But a Jay Rodgers, for example, may be willing to take the DC job because (1) it's a promotion, and (2) he's already here and knows all the people and scheme.

I know Jay Rodgers has been floated as a potential DC elsewhere also, so you might need to promote him to even keep him here.

A new DC comes in, you might see quite a few coaching staff changes, a lot of turnover. If you promote Rodgers, you probably minimize that turnover by quite a bit. I know people are mad at the defense---Deservedly so. But what's better for the Bears specifically for 2021?: Blow it up and potentially get a whole new system and coaching staff in here, likely for a single year? Or keep continuity in a year the Bears aren't tanking anyway?

Also, I like Rodgers. He's extremely well-respected by his players, fellow coaches and around the league. A former QB as the DC after being a D-line coach forever---That's actually kinda cool and brings a unique perspective.

I get that QB pressure has been not good lately. But how many times since '15 have we seen regular "just guys" on the d-line have the best years of their careers? Nick Williams led the team in sacks last year. Roy Robertson-Harris is gonna get paid thanks in large part not just to his talent, but to Jay Rodgers. Even guys like Brent Urban and Mario Edwards over-achieve.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Honestly I’m wondering what the hold up is. My guess is he has been offered the job but the Bears aren’t his first choice.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus...If he doesn't work out, and Nagy gets canned next off season, the new HC can bring his own DC in and at least we gave it a try with Rodgers..It's a no lose situation with a possible huge win.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Would be hard to ignore Wade Phillips if he wanted the gig but I'm in on Rodgers unless a serious DC of that caliber becomes available. Rodgers>Patricia etc.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Jay puts guys in position to win. He’s obviously a great, easy choice, so I doubt Nagy does it. He’ll walk and do great elsewhere. Nagy will recast an old guy with a tired scheme that has already been figured out.
Look at who he helped develop....

Nick Williams, got him paid
RRH from OLB to DE, will be paid
Hicks dominance
Punting Coward off his side of LOS
Goldman
Mario Edwards
Nichols
Derek Wolfe
Terrance Knighton

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Jay puts guys in position to win. He’s obviously a great, easy choice, so I doubt Nagy does it. He’ll walk and do great elsewhere. Nagy will recast an old guy with a tired scheme that has already been figured out.
Look at who he helped develop....

Nick Williams, got him paid
RRH from OLB to DE, will be paid
Hicks dominance
Punting Coward off his side of LOS
Goldman
Mario Edwards
Nichols
Derek Wolfe
Terrance Knighton

The only question - Can he scheme and call plays when the bullets are flying? That’s something none of us could know. He seemingly deserves a shot though