The Charlie Gardiner Thread

Fiasco

Liked Posts:
Most Blackhawks fans know about Tony Esposito because he is one of the ambassadors to the current team. A lot of die hard Blackhawks fans know about Glenn Hall, one of the greatest net minders in NHL history. Most hockey fans love the history of the sport and almost any real hockey fan can tell you who Eddie Shore, Howie Morenz, and Maurice Richard were because the history of hockey is such an interesting aspect of the sport.

Charlie Gardiner is a name that is not recognizable to most Blackhawks fans and it really is a shame. In my opinion he should have his number hanging in the rafters and is one of the top five players to ever wear a Blackhawks sweater. I thought more people should know Charlie Gardiner and so I made a thread for him, the greatest goaltender in our history.

Charlie Gardiner played seven seasons for the Blackhawks starting in 1927. He had won 2 Vezina Trophies and led the Blackhawks as team captain to our first Stanley Cup in team history during the 1933 season. He is the only goaltender to serve as captain of a Stanley Cup winning team in NHL history.
Gardiner's career ended in it's prime only a few weeks after winning the Stanley Cup when he died from brain hemorrhaging caused by a tonsil infection. What is even more remarkable is he played that last season in very poor health and could be seen slumped over his crossbar during breaks in games and was seen to be on the verge of blacking out many times. Even so he still posted a 1.63 gaa in that season and like stated before led the team to a Stanley Cup.

If his career had not been cut short by death his name would be mentioned along side players like Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall, Terry Sawchuk, and Ken Dryden.