The Next Ten Years?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im happy with the bears new offense looks great and im excited and still think we make the playoffs. Me and a few guys I work with had a discussion the other day and figured id see what the common theory is here.

Having watched 10 years or so of great defense capped with shit offense under lovie do we now have to look forward to 10 years of great offense capped by a shit defense or do u guys think trestman gets the d under control and manages to coach a balanced team?

Now emery has shown imho that he can recognize and draft great offensive talent do u think he can do the same defensively?

My thoughts are they both can and will succeed at both im just looking for your opinions.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Emery has shown the ability to rebuild one side of the ball, so I think it's at least probable that he has the capability of rebuilding the other side. I hope that Trestman (who I view as an offensive coach) does a better job of putting coaches around him who understand the other side of the ball (defense) than Lovie did. Whether I think it will or will not happen depends a lot on who is the DC next season and which FAs+draft picks the Bears are able to acquire in the offseason. So until more information in those areas becomes available, I'm going to go homer and say yes: the Bears will improve their defense next season and we fans will not have to endure a unbalanced team of a super offense with embarassing defense any longer than this season.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
I don't think we'll have a Top 5 defense again anytime soon. But the way I look at it, if Melton, Collins, Briggs, Tillman, DJ Williams hadn't gone down, we'd at least have a Top 20 defense. That would've been the difference in a couple of the close losses we've had this year.

Emery's background is in scouting and I would assume he learned to scout both offensive and defensive players. He'll have this ship righted this offseason. It still won't be a Top 5 defense but it will be much better than what we have now.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
I think if those players hadn't gone down (injuries etc..) for as long as they have (every season has its share of injuries, so…) AND Tucker was not in his first year (and Trestman as well) then our D would be significantly higher than just 'top twenty'. I see it in the fifteen to five mark, depending. Our pass D has been all right, given the horror show on run stoppage. It seems to me to be fixable.

That said, the next few years (ten is a really big number in this business) seem really promising, and I think we're going to get a lot of national recognition for it.

If we win this weekend, and win with a statement (not meant to discredit the strengths of Cleveland, but suggesting the promise of our team, THEN, I think we are going to be a 'sexy pick' for many who want to ride a good storyline.

Let's do it this week, boys, and then we can start to talk next ten years.

Actually, either way...

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
If it weren't such a distraction, I'd love to see the Bears on Hard Knocks next year. I'm curious to see what the locker room is like, how Trestman conducts practice, and all of the young players I assume we will have next year.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They'll probably look like the Colts when Manning was there.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Trestman doesn't get the D under control, he wont last here no matter how good the O is. The Bears owners have defense ingrained in their heads, and the Bears are SUPPOSED to have a good D. It's the franchise mantra.. I can see a mediocre or above average D but not a top 5, as I think the owners will settle for that along with a great O. But what we have on D will not fly with this organization for any length of time. I hope they learned their lesson after giving Lovie complete control over hiring and firing his coaching staff. I would hope Trestman doesn't have that privilege. This way Emery can find a decent DC no matter how inept Trestman is at that task.

If we win out, we will be 10-6 which is exactly what we were last year under Lovie..Overall, there has been no improvement in our team due to bad ST and D. I don't think thats what the Bears had in mind when hiring Trestman...We shall see what happens in the off season

Last edited:

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
If Trestman doesn't get the D under control, he wont last here no matter how good the O is. The Bears owners have defense ingrained in their heads, and the Bears are SUPPOSED to have a good D. It's the franchise mantra.. I can see a mediocre or above average D but not a top 5, as I think the owners will settle for that along with a great O. But what we have on D will not fly with this organization for any length of time. I hope they learned their lesson after giving Lovie complete control over hiring and firing his coaching staff. I would hope Trestman doesn't have that privilege. This way Emery can find a decent DC no matter how inept Trestman is at that task.

If we win out, we will be 10-6 which is exactly what we were last year under Lovie..Overall, there has been no improvement in our team due to bad ST and D. I don't think thats what the Bears had in mind when hiring Trestman...We shall see what happens in the off season

To be fair, the problem with the defense is primarily a problem with the personnel. Tucker should be gone next year just to be sure that all lingering shittiness from this year is gone, but we aren't going to solve this by just hiring someone with a solid defensive mind.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, the problem with the defense is primarily a problem with the personnel. Tucker should be gone next year just to be sure that all lingering shittiness from this year is gone, but we aren't going to solve this by just hiring someone with a solid defensive mind.
I agree..I should have mentioned the player part..It is very important as well, but I dont think Tucker could coach the 85 defensive players successfully

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I blamed tucker initially myself but over the course of this season I think its more a talent issue in the front 7 which in turn exposes the averageness of our safties

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
They'll probably look like the Colts when Manning was there.

I hear what your saying there and while they were succesfull a one sided team just isn't the way to go u need balance to build a dynasty.

profisme

Liked Posts:

I agree with this. Shea doesn't seem that intelligent when he is on the field. At Boise State, he relied on a motor and consistently outworking players inferior to his talent level. At this level, he continually loses contain on the backside of running plays and that leads to long runs. Having a DE in Wootton on the interior of the line also hurts. He gets pushed around too easily by interior linemen. Signing a stout DT off the street would benefit the team more than Wootton does at DT. He should be solely at DE and McClellin should be wearing some other uniform.

Bostic is still really green and hopefully a full training camp as the starter will help him understand the position better. I wouldn't be surprised if the first 5 rounds of picks were all used on defensive players this upcoming year. I hope that is the case. We need 2 safeties and a DT in the worst way right now.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Im happy with the bears new offense looks great and im excited and still think we make the playoffs. Me and a few guys I work with had a discussion the other day and figured id see what the common theory is here.

Having watched 10 years or so of great defense capped with shit offense under lovie do we now have to look forward to 10 years of great offense capped by a shit defense or do u guys think trestman gets the d under control and manages to coach a balanced team?

Now emery has shown imho that he can recognize and draft great offensive talent do u think he can do the same defensively?

My thoughts are they both can and will succeed at both im just looking for your opinions.

Hmmm let's see here:

Emery has drafted Shea (huge bust), Bostic (huge bust), Hardin (huge bust), and Greene (huge bust). He's the anti-Angelo. Couldn't draft a defensive player to save his life.

Fortunately he selects Pro Bowl offensive players like it's going out of style (Alshon, Long, etc).

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think Emery/Trestman works way to hard to fail in defensive acquisitions as much as JA/Lovie did on offense. Drafting guys on their ability to hop out of a pool will not be the extent of evaluation. While some on here have seen the Emery era as stagnant with regard to overall results, I see it differently. He inherited a non-offense and has made it nearing the "e" word (elite) in 2 years. As for the defense, it has gotten worse, but it was a house of cards itself when he arrived. Old, injured stars in the twilight of their career, the only young player playing at near a pro bowl level, H Melton, and average at best talent and depth elsewhere, now easily exposed with the lead balloon like drop off in play by those aging vet. stars has lead to the realization that it was 2 yrs from becoming as bad as the offense. Could you imagine this D paired with the old O. Shnikies.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
Calling two rookie lb's busts, let alone one who was a fourth rounder is a bit of a stretch. Personally I see Bostics mistakes as just simply overunning plays. He gets into position but than feels the need to make the play vs staying in his gap and allowing the defense to function as a team. I think this will be corrected the more he plays. Yes I realize he has played a bunch of games now as a starter but he is still a rookie. Lets hold off on calling him a bust for at least two years or so.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call either rookie lber a bust yet myself