1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
All the young players and returning players from a year other than '10 seem to be there.

Jackson!

Any pics of Wood?

EDIT: I found Wood!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Some interesting quotes from the link CO posted, not that page, but that site.

Colvin in awe of Barney's new power

Barney = TyColv 2.0?

Jay Jackson flying under the radar

I've never been too high on him, but I'm interested as to what they mean specifically.

Kerry Wood taking a moment with Andrew Cashner

Hope Cashner was listening.

7. As exhibited by some Cubs quotes, it's never too early to get serious. "I've always been kind of goofy, I guess" - Ryan Dempster. "We're young and dumb and ready to throw strikes" - James Russell. "Just got to get goofy and have a good time" Brett Jackson. These quotations may be a bit out of context not having the surrounding comments, but who knows this may just be the attitude needed to win a Cubs World Series.

It is the attitude IMO. Should have taken Millar over Tracy. Let's hope so (but not too much that we are overly disappointed if it doesn't happen).

Speaking of Darwin Barney he really had a beneficial off-season here, adding 18 lbs to put him closer to 190 lbs after playing at about 170 at the end of last season. While watching some batting practice’s I noticed Darwin’s added strength giving him more pop with the bat (although he will likely never be confused with a power hitter). Barney is part of a dedicated group of Cubs organizational players who worked extremely hard this off-season.

Maybe Barney is TyColv 2.0.

One of the other players showing big results is DJ LeMahieu the second round pick for the Cubs in 2009. LeMahieu has added 19 lbs this off-season to his 6’4” frame . This is a very good thing because LeMahieu can hit, I bet he’s never hit below .314 for a season in his lifetime, although I haven’t checked his T-Ball records. Cubs Director of Scouting Tim Wilken said a while back that he thought DJ would eventually develop power to go with his natural line-drive swing. So it will be interesting to see if the added weight ups DJ’s power numbers this coming year. DJ has been a middle infielder playing college ball at LSU (2009 College World Series All-Tournament team) and was at second base last year with the Cubs A+ Affiliate in Daytona. LeMahieu is a player to keep your eye on, as his added strength could eventually make him a future candidate to shift to third base.

Too bad he isn't invited to actual Spring Training.

LeMahieu isn’t a spring training invitee like former first round pick Josh Vitters who has also been here working hard this off-season. Vitters didn’t have any big weight gain but does look stronger this spring. Vitters has the power in his bat but needs to improve on last season’s .223 average at Double A Tennessee. Vitters is 21 years old and been in the Cubs system for 4 seasons, this is a big year for him to show the Cubs they made the right selection as the third player picked in the first round of 2007. The Cubs don’t want to rush Vitters and likely feel he needs a season or two more in the minors before he’s ready.

At least Vitters is showing good signs.

I don’t know the exact number of players working out here during the off season but it was well over 20 (minor leaguers included), and many others have come in early to get a jump start on spring training. This is an incomplete list but these guys have been the boys of winter (if you can say Phx has a winter) or showed up early to camp – Ryan Dempster, Jeff Stevens, James Russell, Andrew Cashner, Justin Berg, Jeff Samardzija, Darwin Barney, Tyler Colvin, John Grabow, John Gaub, Scott Maine, Koyie Hill, Geovany Soto, Marlon Byrd, Randy Wells and many more minor leaguers besides those profiled earlier. I’m sure I’m forgetting to mention someone, so I apologize in advance.

LOL, Koyie Hill is goign to have a monster year, JK.

Hmmm.... Cubs also had a Football Friday this month. Guess it helps Pitchers and Catchers to work out the arms...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Anyone else find it odd that none of the three lead-off candidates are even guaranteed starting jobs?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not? Read the other quote about him. If Colvin could do it, why can't he?

Colvin actually OPS'd over .800 in the minors. People need to stop thinking that just because Colvin did it, everyone can.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Colvin actually OPS'd over .800 in the minors. People need to stop thinking that just because Colvin did it, everyone can.

Not that anyone can. But to say "No." for sure is wrong. Just like saying "Yes." to Castro being great as a sure thing is wrong.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that anyone can. But to say "No." for sure is wrong. Just like saying "Yes." to Castro being great as a sure thing is wrong.

What leads us to believe that Barney can turn into Colvin? Nothing. Just because he gained some muscle/weight, doesn't mean shit.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What leads us to believe that Barney can turn into Colvin? Nothing. Just because he gained some muscle/weight, doesn't mean shit.

Sure, but you said that he CAN'T. Of course he CAN. It is entirely possible. To give him no chance is pretty ridiculous.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. You said "No", he can't be.

I said no, he isn't Colvin 2.0. I never said he can't be. He COULD be, but that's a long shot. Colvin had a decent track record and was a 1st rounder. Barney can't say either.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I said no, he isn't Colvin 2.0. I never said he can't be. He COULD be, but that's a long shot. Colvin had a decent track record and was a 1st rounder. Barney can't say either.

Draft position has NO affect on how good a player will be in the Majors.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The point is that they saw something in him and they knew he had the potential.

Don't they see potential in every player they sign? You don't sign somebody if you don't see anything in them.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't they see potential in every player they sign? You don't sign somebody if you don't see anything in them.

129164721933303870.jpg

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barney is not gona be a Colvin 2.0 but I think he has a good shot at the 2B job with a good spring. Maybe he'll leadoff then because he does have speed.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Barney is not gona be a Colvin 2.0 but I think he has a good shot at the 2B job with a good spring. Maybe he'll leadoff then because he does have speed.

I would love that. And by Colvin 2.0, I didn't mean 20 blasts. I meant a pleasant surprise with decent pop that came out of nowhere. Like 8-12 HR maybe.