The QB Position For 2021

Liked Posts:
I was looking at the boards last night and was also looking around the NFL this morning. There are so many teams that are "not fully settled" on their starting QB entering the 2021 season. If you dispute this then just take a look around the NFL for a moment:

AFC East

Bills: Josh Allen
Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa
Jets:
Patriots:

AFC North

Steelers: Ben Rothlisberger (it could be his final year)
Bengals: Joe Burrow
Browns: Baker Mayfield
Ravens: Lamar Jackson

AFC South

Titans: Ryan Tannehill
Texans: Deshaun Watson
Jaguars:
Colts:

AFC West

Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes
Chargers: Justin Herbert
Broncos:
Raiders:

NFC East

Giants: Daniel Jones
Cowboys: Dak Prescott
Eagles:
Redskins:

NFC North

Packers: Aaron Rodgers
Vikings: Kirk Cousins
Lions:
Bears:

NFC South

Buccaneers: Tom Brady (it could be his final year)
Saints: Taysom Hill
Falcons:
Panthers:

NFC West

Seahawks: Russell Wilson
Cardinals: Kyler Murray
Rams: Jared Goff
49ers:

That's 13 teams.

The rookie class will feature Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, and Kyle Trask. What are the odds that all 6 of these guys start Game One under center for their teams next year?

That still leaves 7 other teams that will be looking and that's assuming that all of them roll with rookies from Day One. Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan will be the two most sought after guys by teams this offseason. Both of those guys are short term solutions on the back end of their careers.

After that comes the group of Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Jimmy Garoppolo, Sam Darnold, Derek Carr, Cam Newton, Gardner Minshew, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, Etc., Etc., Etc.

I'm not saying that someone like Jalen Hurts (Eagles) or Drew Lock (Broncos) won't start on Day One next year. I am saying that there's no way that those teams roll into Training Camp with those guys and no additional insurance. If so then Vic Fangio and Doug Pederson may as well go ahead and resign today because they've been set up for failure by their GM/Ownership.

NOW TO THE REAL QUESTION..........

A.) Do the Bears bring back Mitchell Trubisky?
B.) Do they let him walk and roll with Nick Foles?
C.) Do they draft a rookie and roll with him from Day One?
D.) Do they make a trade/signing for another QB that I listed above?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are not going to be able to draft a top QB prospect.

And Mitch ain't coming back next year.

Deal-With-It-Ice-Hover-Slide.gif

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Tua Tagovailoa's future in Miami is anything but certain and Dak Prescott I believe is not under contract in 2021.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think they should move up and draft Zach Wilson, let Trubisky walk, draft heavy on O side, and shed some bloated existing contracts.
If the Bears trade up for Zach Wilson that's the draft. Basically the Bears are pushing all their chips in for one guy, the likelihood of coming out of such a trade with the second or third round picks still in the Bears possession is slim to none.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Has there ever been a draft with 6 QBs taken in the 1st round? Not just the 1st, but by pick 20 which the Bears have.
there will likely be at least 2 of the QBs listed avl when the Bears select. Not saying they should select them, just saying all these QB hungry teams are not selecting a QB in the 1st.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
If the Bears trade up for Zach Wilson that's the draft. Basically the Bears are pushing all their chips in for one guy, the likelihood of coming out of such a trade with the second or third round picks still in the Bears possession is slim to none.
Depends how it’s structured. A cap-rich team may accept Fuller or someone else in lieu of some of the draft capital. I do agree though, it would be a bold move to acquire a QB. Worth it however if he ends up being a 15-year elite franchise QB.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Depends how it’s structured. A cap-rich team may accept Fuller or someone else in lieu of draft capital. I do agree though, it would be a bold move to acquire a QB. Worth it however if he ends up being a 15-year elite franchise QB.
Nobody is going to take a player in such a deal. For the Bears to move up from twentieth to the top-five will likely require the Bears first three picks in 2021 and the first-rounder in 2022. It may even take more than that.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think they should move up and draft Zach Wilson, let Trubisky walk, draft heavy on O side, and shed some bloated existing contracts.
To move up to get any QB you will have to give up draft assets......as of right now we have 6 picks with some compensatory picks to be added at the end of 4th round....what are you giving away to move up and to who

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Who’s bloated contract are you going to shed?

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
Trubisky will not sign in Chicago regardless of what the Bears want to do. It's in his best interest to go elsewhere. The Bears are not in a position to draft one of the better QBs so hopefully they're smart enough to draft better value. We'll be watching Nick Foles run the 'offense'.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Nobody is going to take a player in such a deal. For the Bears to move up from twentieth to the top-five will likely require the Bears first three picks in 2021 and the first-rounder in 2022. It may even take more than that.
And if they go 7-9 or 8-8 or whatever next season, we’re back to the exact same discussion we’re having now. At some point, they need to pull the trigger again on a QB and keep doing that until they find one that pans out.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Who’s bloated contract are you going to shed?
This will probably be unpopular, but probably Eddie Jackson if a trade partner can be found. Great instincts but plays very soft.

The obvious ones are Graham and Skrine. Hicks is there, but that guy has busted his ass every snap he’s played. I want him to retire a Bear.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
I think it would be a mistake to trade up. Let the draft come and pick the best qb or OL @ 20. Draft more O in rd 2 and keep piling up assets on the O side. The team is unbalanced the wrong way 4 today’s nfl

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This will probably be unpopular, but probably Eddie Jackson if a trade partner can be found. Great instincts but plays very soft.

The obvious ones are Graham and Skrine. Hicks is there, but that guy has busted his ass every snap he’s played. I want him to retire a Bear.
Massie is as good as gone, too. Those two plus Graham and Skrine do represent a culmalative cap saving that can be translated into something maybe impactful, but it'll still be hard to get too ambitious with that alone. Hicks probably has to go, and he's at that age and injury history where its the right business move. He is a strong restructure candidate, though. Charles Leno Jr. is a candidate to be cut if the Bears can find a valid replacement for him in the draft, he'd probably go after the first of June.

Nobody is going to trade for Eddie Jackson after this disaster of a season for him. Same goes for Khalil Mack. The Bears might be able to get something nice for Fuller but an elite talent at a premium position with a few good years left in the tank is not the asset the Bears should be so eager to part with.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Trubisky will not sign in Chicago regardless of what the Bears want to do. It's in his best interest to go elsewhere. The Bears are not in a position to draft one of the better QBs so hopefully they're smart enough to draft better value. We'll be watching Nick Foles run the 'offense'.
Agreed except for Foles.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Massie is as good as gone, too. Those two plus Graham and Skrine do represent a culmalative cap saving that can be translated into something maybe impactful, but it'll still be hard to get too ambitious with that alone. Hicks probably has to go, and he's at that age and injury history where its the right business move. He is a strong restructure candidate, though. Charles Leno Jr. is a candidate to be cut if the Bears can find a valid replacement for him in the draft, he'd probably go after the first of June.

Nobody is going to trade for Eddie Jackson after this disaster of a season for him. Same goes for Khalil Mack. The Bears might be able to get something nice for Fuller but an elite talent at a premium position with a few good years left in the tank is not the asset the Bears should be so eager to part with.
I forgot about Massie and Leno. I think they end up keeping Leno, but that is dependent on what the draft brings.

Jackson had an awful year, but I don’t think other GMs will just take that into account. I sure don’t. I just think he’s overpaid on this team when so many more important needs exist. But on another team that is more soundly constructed? Ya never know.