The rise and fall of Aaron Lynch Part 1: Rookie

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aaron-Lynch-Pressure-01-02.0.gif

Can Aaron Lynch revive his career here in Chicago? To help answer this question, we need to take a closer look at his career up to this point. Aaron Lynch, the player, can be broken down into two separate categories. There is Aaron Lynch BOSS, before obligatory subsequent suspension, which lasted 2 years. And there is Aaron Lynch ASS, after subsequent suspension, which also lasted two years. I’ll give you guys a little spoiler. Aaron Lynch BOSS was the mirror image of Joey Bosa. Aaron Lynch ASS is Pernell McPhee with 2 bad knees.

Aaron Lynch BOSS

Rookie Year

Coming into his rookie season, Lynch did not have a good reputation. He was deemed lazy, unmotivated, and a character concern. But going into training camp, Lynch actually came in underweight. Vic Fangio and staff had to ask him to bulk up, which he did prior to the preseason. Speaking of which, Lynch absolutely dominated every single preseason game. He looked like he belonged the moment he stepped onto an NFL field.

Pass Rush

In his rookie season, Vic Fangio mostly had Lynch in on passing downs. The first thing that stood out was how Lynch as a rookie already understood how to setup OT’s. He attacks OT’s in the same exact way as Joey Bosa. The similarities are striking.

HAND SWIPE

Aaron Lynch was flat out making offensive tackles look silly.

QUICK SWIM

Aaron Lynch shows great power in his hands. The OT doesn’t even know what hit him here. This move is usually done by elite powerful defensive tackles such as Aaron Donald...

CLUB OVER

Lynch was so savvy, that he would often wait out OT’s. Once they commit, that’s when he makes his move. This is a Joey Bosa hallmark play, where he often slows down to speed back up again...

COUNTER

He does the same to a TE here...

WHIFF

Again, the precise and deadly rip move. This is vintage Bosa.

RIP MOVE

For comparison:

giphy.gif

Rather than feign a speed rush only to come back inside, Bosa often fakes a move that prompts tackles to sit down in their stance. “You can always take power steps to get him to throw his hands or set his feet for a power move,” Bosa tells The Ringer. “If you can get him to set his feet and lunge, then you have him where you want him.”

After an offensive tackle shows signs of hesitation, Bosa knocks away that lineman’s hands, jerking him off-balance and allowing the Chargers star to burst back to the outside. Instead of speeding up to slow down—the way so many great pass rushers thrive—Bosa slows down just to speed back up. “As long as you’re moving forward and keeping your hands active, I think you can be successful [with that move],” Bosa says.

Motor

Much like Joey Bosa and unlike what his reputation preceded him, Aaron Lynch showed a non stop motor on the field...

RELENTLESS

Here Lynch is out in coverage responsible for the QB. But the moment he sees the QB drop his eyes, he comes rushing in and hurries the throw...

HURRY

Here he never slows up, and runs down Russell Wilson...

RUN DOWN

This is a run away from a 260 LB OLB, and he is still able to knock the RB out of bounds 10 yards upfield...

RUN DOWN

Run Stopper

And while he didn’t get many opportunities, Lynch held his own against the run his rookie year. Here is Lynch setting the edge...

SETTING EDGE

Here neither the right tackle nor the fullback could move Lynch off his spot...

https://gfycat.com/SpecificLazyIndianhare

Standing his ground...

GROUND

Next up - Part 2: 2015

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I like this. He was very dominant his rookie year in limited obvious passing downs...would love to see him do that again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No question he has the tools and ability to be a VG pass rusher. Can he stay healthy and committed?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He really has the smell of an Aikem Hicks pick up. A player with unrealized potential miscast and under appreciated.

Like Hicks, “You hate to put excuses out there — ‘This is why this happened? Woe is me’ — but when you take a 335-pound, 6-5 defensive tackle and you make him a defensive end, things don’t tend to work out,” Hicks said.

Aaron lynch was moved from a promising OLB to DE. 49ers Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh , “Aaron, he’s on the defensive line. We’re going to try to keep his hand in the ground at all times. "

Lynch has a bit more intangible question marks, but Fangio seems to have a way to keep these types on track if they are not just straight fuck ups.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears need Lynch to be a pleasant surprise. The pass rush is looking bleak at the moment. Hicks will get his and I like NardFlo, but I'm not sure he is going to be the 12 sack/year player we need and want him to be from what we have seen so far in his career.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Good breakdown but i'm sticking by what i've said all along which is that i just don't trust this kid and am very much worried about the pass rush we get from our OLB's. This kid has had too many problems from injuries to weight issues to suspensions to being lazy. I hope Fangio gets the best out of him cause we need him to be better then the 6.5 sacks he put up in his 2nd season in the league.

Washington

Liked Posts:
No question he has the tolls and ability to be a VG pass rusher. Can he stay healthy and committed?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-kevin-white-harry-hiestand-20180606-story.html

Aaron Lynch’s durability is becoming a concern.

The outside linebacker, according to coach Matt Nagy, suffered a hamstring injury during Tuesday’s minicamp practice, effectively ending his on-field participation in the offseason program.

“He’ll get that thing right,” Nagy said, “and be ready to go for camp.”

Lynch also suffered an ankle injury and missed time during the Bears’ April minicamp, so it’s only natural to question how much they will be able to count on him this season. Lynch now has added pressure to answer those questions.

The concerns become especially pressing because Lynch is being counted on to help a pass rush that needs to become more effective in 2018. Last week, coordinator Vic Fangio openly questioned the quality of depth the Bears currently have at outside linebacker. Leonard Floyd and Sam Acho likely will be the unofficial starters when training camp begins. Lynch, Isaiah Irving and Kylie Fitts also will battle for roles.

It will be interesting to see whether general manager Ryan Pace maneuvers to add bodies and competition to the position in the near future.

dwiederer@chicagotribune.com

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Bears need Lynch to be a pleasant surprise. The pass rush is looking bleak at the moment. Hicks will get his and I like NardFlo, but I'm not sure he is going to be the 12 sack/year player we need and want him to be from what we have seen so far in his career.

I disagree, he has shown the ability to be disruptive and get sacks in large numbers. What he has not gotten is the opportunity to succeed as a top pass rusher. He has been our top coverage LB to date. You don't get sacks in coverage. I think he is a 15 sack guy if used that way.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I’m excited for the next few pieces here. That’s some damn impressive stuff from a rookie, curious to see wtf happened to him.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Injured twice in ota and mini camp

Cant wait for the pads to go on.

Think anything we get from him is a bonus and a surprise as I'm expecting little to nothing.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Injured twice in ota and mini camp

Cant wait for the pads to go on.

Think anything we get from him is a bonus and a surprise as I'm expecting little to nothing.

And this is why I've been banging the table for Pace to sign another vet. The injury concerns with all our OLB's is very high. I can almost guarantee we will lose one before the season even starts.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Floyd has surpassed expectations as a pass rusher but also shown he can help against the run and in coverage but durability is a big concern. I think he's a 12-15 sack guy if you play him that way. I think Fangio played it safe with Floyd to keep him healthy but will take on a new role next year.

Sam Acho will be the main coverage lb.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think we are gonna get a crazy rush out of our inside linebackers too. Why couldn't one of them rush occasionally also ? I think Fangio is ready to get all his LBs to play some type of rush and/or coverage roll

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we are gonna get a crazy rush out of our inside linebackers too. Why couldn't one of them rush occasionally also ? I think Fangio is ready to get all his LBs to play some type of rush and/or coverage roll

I agree. Vic rushed Trevathan and Kwiat from the inside last year to good effect. Roquan adds another dimension to that with his speed.

I think we’ll be fine on sacks. But durability at OLB is still a major concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I also think A-Gap blitzes will be a big part Vic's defense this year.