The Trade Deadline

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It appears that this is going to be an exciting trade deadline as we have already seen a number of trades of note,

Snacks Harrison to the Lions
Elie Apple to the Sants
Carlos Hyde to the Jags
Amari Cooper to the Raiders

And insiders like Schefter and Banner saying that there could be a lot more movement.

The Bears are not making any moves of note. There are 3 reasons for this,

1. The Bears have no money in 2018 or 2019 to spend.

2018: 4.5 million
2019: 21 million

They cannot afford to absorb any contract of note.

2. The Bears have no draft capital to spend.

Bad teams do not want to do player for player deals, they want to send big contracts out the door and get draft picks back.

Currently, the Bears have a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 2x 7th round draft picks.

3. This isn't the year

It is becoming pretty obvious that this is more of a learning year than a competing year and that 1 player is not going to vault the Bears to the top of the NFC.

The Bears would be a little foolish to mortgage even more of the future in a year where they may make the playoffs, but are way to inconsistent to compete with the Rams, Saints, and Vikings.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
We've already competed with the Patriots, Packers and dolphins and lost really close games. There is no reason yet to think we are out of anything.

However I don't disagree that we don't have much to offer other than Howard who is being under utilized, and might consider trading him to a team like the Eagles to recoup a little draft stock this year...

We will get better as the year goes on, coaching staff included. I still think we're in the hunt for the playoffs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We've already competed with the Patriots, Packers and dolphins and lost really close games. There is no reason yet to think we are out of anything.

However I don't disagree that we don't have much to offer other than Howard who is being under utilized, and might consider trading him to a team like the Eagles to recoup a little draft stock this year...

We will get better as the year goes on, coaching staff included. I still think we're in the hunt for the playoffs

Playoffs sure, but we are probably going to see the Chiefs make a big-costly move because they think they can win the SuperBowl.

The Bears should ride out what they have this season.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This year has already been a big one for us in FA, we do not need to add a trade.

Most teams make a trade out of desperation at this point in the season. Unless someone is willing to give us a crazy trade value for one of our players, I doubt we will be making any moves at this point.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I still see rumblings that Howard might be teased. But reading the articles it seems all speculation and no legit sources that we are actually engaged in anything

As of now I’m 100% against trading Howard cause there is no way you get more then a 4th rounder for him

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shame we couldn't get Patrick Peterson.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

You think we can win the Super Bowl and do it without Howard?

Howard may be 'underutilized', though that's debatable, but who on the Bears has been able to rush up the middle with any success, besides Howard?

Can the Bears win the SB without that dimension? I don't think so.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It appears that this is going to be an exciting trade deadline as we have already seen a number of trades of note,

Elie Apple to the Sants
Carlos Hyde to the Jags

And insiders like Schefter and Banner saying that there could be a lot more movement.

The Bears are not making any moves of note. There are 3 reasons for this,

1. The Bears have no money in 2018 or 2019 to spend.

2018: 4.5 million
2019: 21 million

They cannot afford to absorb any contract of note.

2. The Bears have no draft capital to spend.

Bad teams do not want to do player for player deals, they want to send big contracts out the door and get draft picks back.

Currently, the Bears have a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 2x 7th round draft picks.

3. This isn't the year

It is becoming pretty obvious that this is more of a learning year than a competing year and that 1 player is not going to vault the Bears to the top of the NFC.

The Bears would be a little foolish to mortgage even more of the future in a year where they may make the playoffs, but are way to inconsistent to compete with the Rams, Saints, and Vikings.
what do you think of trading Floyd?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
what do you think of trading Floyd?

He's who I said the Bears should package a 1st with to get Mack. Everyone laughed at it

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
You think we can win the Super Bowl and do it without Howard?

Howard may be 'underutilized', though that's debatable, but who on the Bears has been able to rush up the middle with any success, besides Howard?

Can the Bears win the SB without that dimension? I don't think so.
No I think we should be pounding Howard up the middle to control the clock. But Nagy clearly doesn't agree. Bottom line is we are averaging around 3 ypc with both backs. Does not seem to matter which one is in there, and I think Howard is the type to break off a couple after a bunch of shorter runs and has a decent amount of trade value. I want to keep him, but only if we use him, otherwise might as well make a trade.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
No I think we should be pounding Howard up the middle to control the clock. But Nagy clearly doesn't agree. Bottom line is we are averaging around 3 ypc with both backs. Does not seem to matter which one is in there, and I think Howard is the type to break off a couple after a bunch of shorter runs and has a decent amount of trade value. I want to keep him, but only if we use him, otherwise might as well make a trade.

Maybe you factored in some jet sweeps with other guys?

Tarik Cohen==== 4.8 yds per carry
Jordan Howard==3.5 yds per carry

I dont think Jordan Howard is going to fit in Nagys' system. Not unless he is happy with Sharing the snaps... I dont think we will ever see a series where Howard runs 6 to 10 Carries wearing out the defense. Howard won't find rhythm. He is a ryrhym runner.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:

Elie Apple to the Sants
Carlos Hyde to the Jags

Man what a wild season for trades, Cooper traded from the Raiders and BACK to the Raiders in a matter of days? Wow

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maybe you factored in some jet sweeps with other guys?

Tarik Cohen==== 4.8 yds per carry
Jordan Howard==3.5 yds per carry

I dont think Jordan Howard is going to fit in Nagys' system. Not unless he is happy with Sharing the snaps... I dont think we will ever see a series where Howard runs 6 to 10 Carries wearing out the defense. Howard won't find rhythm. He is a ryrhym runner.

What does that mean?

He doesn’t break tackles enough. He’s just a guy. I wouldn’t trade hom for what we can get for him. But I certainly don’t worry about whether he gets a certain number of carries.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
What does that mean?

He doesn’t break tackles enough. He’s just a guy. I wouldn’t trade hom for what we can get for him. But I certainly don’t worry about whether he gets a certain number of carries.

In his first 2 seasons, he got the ball in more of a every down role...that isnt the case this season. He gets a carry or two and isnt seen until next series. He never gets a chance to gain a rhythm. He isnt in long enough.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bears have a talented roster. They have lost close games and need to learn to finish. The roster they have right now is up there with all the top teams in the NFL as is. The D has to start playing up to its potential and Mitch needs to take that next step. I think the team will get some confidence going again against the Jets and Bills. This is a win today league. Things could change drastically in a year. Injuries, etc.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It's unfortunate, because Jordan Howard is a beast of a back. But it's looking more and more that the kind of back that he is, just does NOT fit this system. Although, a full season, including a winter in Soldier Field and other cold weather games might see more Jordan Howard. So I guess we'll see.

But as of now, if the trend continues on how much we use Howard in the running game, we should trade him. It's clear that a more agile, pass-catching back would be a better RB for this system. But is Tarik Cohen that back? How many actual carries would we give him? Matt Forte would have been perfect for this scheme!

My guess is that we'll trade Howard at some point. Can we get a 2nd or 3rd for him? What is his value? Will we use one of our picks in the next draft for a RB? We need OL help, possibly a SS. And we start in the 3rd round in 2019...

It'll be interesting to see what we do with Howard, the draft, and free agency in 2019.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Maybe Nagy really does view this season as a marathon, and not a race...

Maybe Nagy thinks rushing Howard up the middle is money in the bag, and Bears need to develop a few other muscles first? Farfetched?

Practically speaking, if Nagy isn't going to trade Howard, they need to work in throwing him the ball, so Howard becomes a legitimate passing option (3rd dwn back). We saw one pass reception to Howard, and Howard looked very smooth with it. That's a great sign. But we need to see at least 5 atts per game.