Donator
Liked Posts:
utf-8BVmV0ZXJhbnMuanBn.jpg

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
THANKS FOR THE DAY OFF, VETS! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the service not just to USA but to the whole world as well.

bri

Liked Posts:
I just heard the other day that troops from around my area are being sent to Egypt. It seems that our military is forever being dispatched to new places to police the world. For all those who are serving now I will pray for their safety. For all those who have served and perished I am grateful.

sth

Liked Posts:
I've just been watching a show about the war in the pacific. It was an intensely moving show to see what those guys had to go through. It was just numbing to see the carnage. We owe these men and women our freedom and i think people forget that. So I second what everyone has said on here. :clap:

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stu, Memorial Day is to honor those that died while in military service.

Bri, I suspect those going to Egypt are going to participate in Operation Bright Star. That has been held in Egypt for quite some time, and one is scheduled in 2010. It is one of the largest multi-national war games in the world.

This is from my trip there in '95. I have a picture somewhere of me wearing a 'Hawks cap and attempting to climb one of the Great Pyramids.

bs001.jpg

bri

Liked Posts:
[quote name="BiscuitintheBasket"]Stu, Memorial Day is to honor those that died while in military service.

Bri, I suspect those going to Egypt are going to participate in Operation Bright Star. That has been held in Egypt for quite some time, and one is scheduled in 2010. It is one of the largest multi-national war games in the world.

This is from my trip there in '95. I have a picture somewhere of me wearing a 'Hawks cap and attempting to climb one of the Great Pyramids.

bs001.jpg
[/quote]

I think they said it was to keep peace between Israel and somebody. I'll have to look it up.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thank you to those who've fallen to stand up for the cause you believed in.

And a special toast to my Uncle Lauren, whom I never knew, who was killed by a sniper in 'Nam.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Biscuit when I served in the USAF there was an annual excercise somewhere in that location but thought it was in Turkey. I do not remember that name though. Red Flag comes to mind but I think is held here in the States out west. My era was '84-'88.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="BiscuitintheBasket"]Stu, Memorial Day is to honor those that died while in military service.[/quote]

I get veterans day and memorial day messed up :|

bri

Liked Posts:
This is what the Quad City Times said:

Soldiers of the Illinois National Guard’s 2nd Battalion, 123rd Field Artillery Regiment based in Milan, Ill., are preparing for deployment to Egypt in May. The Milan-based unit will enforce the provisions of the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel when they are deployed to the Sinai Peninsula. The soldiers will be part of the Multinational Force and Observers, an international peacekeeping force. Most members of the battalion are based in Milan, which includes the Headquarters Company of the unit (about 90 people) and Alpha Battery of the unit (a few more than 100 people). The battalion also includes units out of Macomb and Galesburg, Ill.

bri

Liked Posts:
[quote name="LordKOTL"]Thank you to those who've fallen to stand up for the cause you believed in.

And a special toast to my Uncle Lauren, whom I never knew, who was killed by a sniper in 'Nam.[/quote]

I doubt anyone remembers the story I told last year about the Marine who was MIA in WWII in the Pacific. I included the letter that was sent to inform the family. At the time I never related how I knew the story, but that was my grandpa's brother or would have been my great uncle Steve.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="bri"]
[quote name="LordKOTL"]Thank you to those who've fallen to stand up for the cause you believed in.

And a special toast to my Uncle Lauren, whom I never knew, who was killed by a sniper in 'Nam.[/quote]

I doubt anyone remembers the story I told last year about the Marine who was MIA in WWII in the Pacific. I included the letter that was sent to inform the family. At the time I never related how I knew the story, but that was my grandpa's brother or would have been my great uncle Steve.[/quote]

Nice. I know that my Dad, my Uncle Lauren, and my Uncle Bob (my oldest Aunt's husband) all served in 'nam. Uncle Bob was in the Army, Lauren was a Marine, and my Dad was in the Air Force. Both Bob and lauren are dead, but my dad still has awesome stores from back then.

I know my grandpa served in the army WWII, but i think as a supply clerk stateside.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bri"]This is what the Quad City Times said:

Soldiers of the Illinois National Guard’s 2nd Battalion, 123rd Field Artillery Regiment based in Milan, Ill., are preparing for deployment to Egypt in May. The Milan-based unit will enforce the provisions of the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel when they are deployed to the Sinai Peninsula. The soldiers will be part of the Multinational Force and Observers, an international peacekeeping force. Most members of the battalion are based in Milan, which includes the Headquarters Company of the unit (about 90 people) and Alpha Battery of the unit (a few more than 100 people). The battalion also includes units out of Macomb and Galesburg, Ill.[/quote]

That is BrightStar, it was born out of the Camp David accords....which lead to that treaty.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
There is no real way I can thank those who gave everything for our country.

You are gone, but will never be forgotten and are true heroes.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"War is not healthy for children or other living things."

We are fortunate to live in a country where people ignore that statement and continue to volunteer to protect our freedoms.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those families who have had their loved ones pay the ultimate price this Memorial Day.

bri

Liked Posts:
This is the story I posted last year in case someone missed it and is interested in reading it.

I hope they and all others who weren't named will all share their stories and experiences with us because nobody can tell it better than they can themselves. I can, however, tell One Marine's Story:

Dear Mrs. Borowski,

Your letter in reference to your brother Steve reached me yesterday. It is true that he was in my company over seas and I shall give you what information I have. On the 21st on Nov. 1943 my co. was called upon to attack heavy enemy forces on Bougainville in the British Solomon Is. At the end of about 5 hours their numbers became too large for us, and we were forced to withdraw. At this time we left 5 men behind, believed to be dead. Early on the morning of the 22nd, Pvt. Charles Ballis, one of the men left for dead, returned to the company. He told us that after we had left our positions, he remained in hiding until dark, and started to make his way back to the company. He had only gone a short distance when he discovered Steve, wounded but alive. The distance back was very great and Ballis was unable to bring Steve in alone, so he made him comfortable and placed him in hiding. On the following day Ballis led a patrol of 16 men in an effort to reach Steve. The patrol was met by strong enemy forces and was unable to reach the area where Ballis had hidden Steve. Several days later we recovered the bodies of the other boys we left for dead on the 21st of Nov. There was no sign of Steve. The definite answers to these circumstances I do not know. Perhaps Steve is alive and a prisoner of war. However, at the time Ballis left him he was badly wounded. I don't know how to put in words, but I fear that there is only the slightest chance that Steve still lives. I sincerely wish I could give you more encouraging information. Sharing with your sorrow

I Remain

Capt. Gil Coupe Jr

U.S.M.C.

Footnote: It remains uncertain what happened to Steve, but about 7 years ago the family was contacted by the military who believed his remains had been recovered. DNA testing was to be done on the remains and a female family member to determine if he was finally home to rest.

Regretfully, I do not know the answer, but I do know the answer is somewhere in Chicago and maybe some day I will learn the truth.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
I normally don't say anything or reply in these threads, because I end up feeling awkward, still being active duty and all, but this year, with me being close to retirement, I want to say thank you and pray that the sea protects those on their eternal patrol.

These holidays mean a bit more to me than most, and I try to keep it to myself for the most part. I come from a long line of military in my family:

WWI: Great Grandfather and Great great Uncle (Army)

WWII: Both Grandfathers (Army, Bronze Star recipient, twice/Navy)

Korea: Great Uncle (Army, shot, stripped and left for dead by the North Koreans, he survived)

Viet Nam: Dad (Navy, 23 yrs), 2 Uncles (army/airforce)

Now: Me (Navy), Brother-in-Law(Navy), Cousin(USMC) his wife (ex-USMC)

And it is also why I snap, hard, at those that like to say that the military sucks more money than they need.

Have a safe and quiet weekend.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]I normally don't say anything or reply in these threads, because I end up feeling awkward, still being active duty and all, but this year, with me being close to retirement, I want to say thank you and pray that the sea protects those on their eternal patrol.

These holidays mean a bit more to me than most, and I try to keep it to myself for the most part. I come from a long line of military in my family:

WWI: Great Grandfather and Great great Uncle (Army)

WWII: Both Grandfathers (Army, Bronze Star recipient, twice/Navy)

Korea: Great Uncle (Army, shot, stripped and left for dead by the North Koreans, he survived)

Viet Nam: Dad (Navy, 23 yrs), 2 Uncles (army/airforce)

Now: Me (Navy), Brother-in-Law(Navy), Cousin(USMC) his wife (ex-USMC)

And it is also why I snap, hard, at those that like to say that the military sucks more money than they need.

Have a safe and quiet weekend.[/quote]

Bingo. I have never had, nor ever will have problems with the military--it's the politicians I despise. They do their job and do it without peer and IMHO are to be held in the highest honor and esteem.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]Have a safe and quiet weekend.[/quote]

My thanks to those who've paid the ultimate price for serving. Definitely not something I could do.

Wear your seat-belts, don't drive drunk and watch the texting while driving - going to be a big cash-grab weekend for the State Troopers.