Thoughts and Observations: Week 3 Cardinals

Washington

Liked Posts:
Defense

-Trevathan had a brutal start to the game. He blows the coverage on the 1st TD and then he gets worked by David Johnson in the slot. The defense was able to rebound and settle down, but it is odd to see Trevathan get worked in coverage like that.

The 1st TD may not have been on Trevathan.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-10-thoughts-brad-biggs-cardinals-20180924-story.html

10c. Need to get a clearer understanding of what happened on Arizona’s two touchdowns. You can’t leave players running virtually uncovered and that’s what happened with tight end Ricky Seals-Jones and running back David Johnson.

Seals-Jones came in motion and was chipped on the left side by outside linebacker Aaron Lynch. Seals-Jones then ran into inside linebacker Danny Trevathan before changing direction and running a corner route. No one went with him. Cornerback Prince Amukamara left that side of the field as he was following a wide receiver. Safety Adrian Amos seemed to double up with Amukamara and Lynch played the running back Johnson in the flat. Trevathan was adamant that Seals-Jones was not his man in coverage.

Later, Johnson released from the backfield and scored with ease on a 21-yard play in blown coverage. Amos widened with an underneath out route and cornerback Kyle Fuller had to carry a post route. No one carried Johnson on the corner route from the backfield.

“I’m not really going to tell you,” Trevathan said. “No, I’ll take it. I’ll take ’em both. Put ’em all on me. I’ve been around. I know. Just go ahead and put it on me.”

Trevathan was pretty clear he wasn’t the guy. I tend to agree with him on the first score. I don’t know what to make of the coverage on the second score. Perhaps defensive coordinator Vic Fangio will shed some light on it later this week.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Offense

-I really do not have anything to say in defense of Mitch. He was bad. He missed wide open throws that I think a college freshman can make. He made incredibly dumb decisions with the football and the offense turned into a WR screen festival because they couldn’t trust him with more. I can keep yelling about patience, but I will not be offering a defense of Mitch again, until he gives me something to work with.

Terrible misses/throws
-Gabriel in the endzone
-Gabriel in the middle of the field when he gets killed
-Robinson on the redzone skinny post when he gets inside
-Robinson on the sideline that is inside and underthrown

-Nagy was bad. His timeout usage, his redzone play calling, the endless and useless WR screens. He needs to figure out something that Trubisky can execute and show that genius that was talked about in the offseason. I will say him running the ball was nice.

-I really like Allen Robinson, but the dude is not a good blocker yet we continue to throw screen passes behind him assuming he is going to block.

-If Trubisky ever learns how to throw the ball up to Allen Robinson in a place he can get it this could be a big connection. He seems to get a step and with his size a high or outside throw should be a catch or a possible interference call.

-Good to see Trey Burton continue to get involved. I would like to see him become more of the primary read against teams with a player like Patrick Peterson, instead of relentlessly targeting Peterson and asking for an interception.

-Taylor Gabriel must be the most frustrated man in the world. He should have multiple big TD catches, but instead he is chasing a massive other throw every time.

-Sit Anthony Miller against TB, give him a full 3 weeks to let the shoulder calm down and see what is going on before week 6. There is no sense in him limping through games, the offense has enough challenges as it is.

-Kevin White should probably be inactive.

-I would prefer Josh Bellamy on the field if you are going to run WR screens, at least I know that he can and will block someone.

-Dion Sims for a 2nd week with the exact right number of targets. What a waste of 6 million.

-The offense needs Shaheen back. Having another threat at TE and a guy with the size to make some of these junk throws into something would be a nice add.

-I thought there were way too many plays where the OL has a double team in the middle and a free blitzer off the edge. I didn’t think they had a bad game, but there were way too many negative runs and free runners at the QB. I think during the bye week the James Daniels era needs to begin.

Yes the seam throw to Robinson was wide fking open. Like you said, that's an easy throw for any college QB. I'm out of patience for Mitch.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
The only thing that still pisses me off is when Fangio PUTS THE BEST FUCKING RUSHER IN THE NFL ON COVERAGE DUTY! STOP IT!