Tice pleased with Bears' offensive-line play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

BOURBONNAIS -- Mike Tice will be looking for improvement, specifically in the running game, when the Bears play the Oakland Raiders on Saturday night at Soldier Field.

But the new offensive line coach came away from the preseason opener at San Diego feeling pretty good about where the revamped unit is. Center Olin Kreutz played only the first eight snaps with Jay Cutler as he is slowly worked back into the system after surgery in January to repair an Achilles tendon.

The remainder of the starters played into the second quarter and that provided Tice with a fair sample size to evaluate. No changes to the lineup were made at Monday's practice, although what is believed to be a minor leg injury sidelined right guard Lance Louis, leading James Marten to replace him.

"I feel that overall it was a very good start protection-wise," Tice said. "First unit, minimal mental errors, if any, which was good because fortunate for us they threw a bunch of pressure at us, which was nice to work in the first preseason game.
"Run game, exactly how it has been in practice, one block off here, one block off there. We just have got to continue to work on our timing, pay attention to some of the smaller details like splits and things like that. But for the first time out of the block I was pleased with the start."

Tice and offensive coordinator Mike Martz have been preaching patience when it comes to a line that has some moving parts. Right tackle Frank Omiyale never has played on that side of the line. Left guard Roberto Garza started the last 64 regular-season games at right guard. Louis was a seventh-round draft pick a year ago who didn't convert to the offensive line until he was midway through his college career at San Diego State.

All eyes were on Louis, who was elevated to the first unit just a week before the game. But he responded with the kind of play Tice expected.

"Lance played very physical, went after guys," Tice said. "No mentals, which was really important for me to see that. Just some of the little detail things he's got to continue to work on and that comes from experience."

More...

BearMan2010

Liked Posts:
Well then, IF Coach Tice is happy, I am happy. :clap:

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
He must have been watching that game with a pair of Lovie glass, you know the rose colored glasses that see everything as just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.