CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
john-stamos.jpg

????

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:nope: Such an ignorant misnomer. Have you even taken a look at OV's playoff numbers? You should take a gander. I think the reasons why WAS cannot go deep has more to do with what's around OV. Hockey is still a team game. To say OV hasn't shown up in playoffs is soooo not right.

If you're going to take Toews, for God's sake please state for other reasons than for being a "hero" in the playoffs. For example, playing a more important position, being a more complete/competent player in all three zones, being a much better leader, being more "cost effective" to put together a more complete team - these are good reasons.

There were also two other equally deserving candidates of the Conn Smythe last season.

This is completely correct.

A lot of people who have followed the Hawks the past 3 seasons really have no clue about how much of a team sport hockey is nor do they watch or know anything about any other team outside of the Hawks. It's sad.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is completely correct.

A lot of people who have followed the Hawks the past 3 seasons really have no clue about how much of a team sport hockey is nor do they watch or know anything about any other team outside of the Hawks. It's sad.

I'm not one of them peeps. :smoke:

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not one of them peeps. :smoke:

Wasn't naming names. There are actually quite a few knowledgeable 'hockey' people here, who have been fans of the sport, not just the Hawks, for more then 3 years :)

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember watchin the Blackhaws when Daze was around, round 2002, but after that they were really bad, for a long time, ........... Toews was the reason we turned it around this season, i think.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why did the Caps stick with Neuvirth? Why not go to Varlamov & see what happens?

Not saying it would've made a difference but they should've at least tried.

Negative. Well, except for desperation time.

Look at the Flyers. From the get go, I would have just kept sticking with Bob. If he blows a game, yank him and then let him start the next. Not letting a goalie build up a playoff resume is Special person. If he drops 3 straight games in bad fashion- then you mix it up. Otherwise, let a guy catch his legs and get into a groove. It's a rare sight when a team swaps goalies and finds sudden playoff success. That shit doesn't happen. Philly was fortunate last year in more ways than one.

Everyone talks about momentum going into the playoffs. It's legit in many ways, but if your power play or goaltending isn't clicking going in... good luck.

As for Washington, their power play was bad. For a team that heavily loaded with forward talent, there's no reason why their pp shouldn't be 25%. Special teams in the playoffs are beyond enormous. Special teams have decided the Van/Nash series this year (regardless of the call quality...Vancouver has converted) and hell... they decided last years Chi/Nash series. I despise every hockey talkinghead that says Nashville almost won that series. That's horse shit. BUT, if Nashville didn't have an embarrassingly horrible power play - they WOULD have won that series. The fact is, Chicago shut them down on the man advantage and squeeked out a close one (game 5) that gave them the edge in the series.

The Capitals played well enough defensively to build up a solid regular season record. But shit gets tougher in the playoffs and quite frankly, they don't have the talent to bring that style of play to the post season. When it comes down to it, their roster is a go go go, offense first group of guys and forcing them to think D-first just isn't enough in the playoffs.

You can fake it in the regular season, but in the playoffs- there's no faking.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember watchin the Blackhaws when Daze was around, round 2002, but after that they were really bad, for a long time, ........... Toews was the reason we turned it around this season, i think.

Extremely good drafting was the turn around IMO. Granted they had slam dunk picks but still. The talent they put together in the draft was incredible...

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like someone said the caps are probably a couple D-men short. The sooner Semin is gone I think they will be better. A coaching change probably wont hurt either

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Like someone said the caps are probably a couple D-men short. The sooner Semin is gone I think they will be better. A coaching change probably wont hurt either

I also think they need a coaching change but people seem to think Boudreau is the best coach ever.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought my wife spiked my dinner with LSD when I looked and saw a thread "toews or Ovi?"

umm...OVI all day long.

does anyone follow the entire NHL league or do some of you just watch the hawks.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's not a clear cut go for Ove. It's a matter of philosophy as well.

You give me the choice of a top notch leader, defensive player, who has a scoring touch when you need it verse the most elite scorer out there who isn't as key on D or rallying his team around him in other ways because his scoring then I'll keep taking the D ace.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not a clear cut go for Ove. It's a matter of philosophy as well.

You give me the choice of a top notch leader, defensive player, who has a scoring touch when you need it verse the most elite scorer out there who isn't as key on D or rallying his team around him in other ways because his scoring then I'll keep taking the D ace.

OV is not a slouch defensively and there isn't any amount of D that can replace the potential of 50 goals and 100+ points.

But on the other side of it. His cap hit is ridiculous. He didn't live up to the cap hit THIS season.

Last edited:

A Chosen Bullet

Liked Posts:
I thought my wife spiked my dinner with LSD when I looked and saw a thread "toews or Ovi?"

umm...OVI all day long.

does anyone follow the entire NHL league or do some of you just watch the hawks.

I second the post that stated this isn't as clear cut as one might think at first glance with this thread, especially when you factor in the NHL's hard cap and each player's respective hit.

Ovie is the most individually talented player in the NHL; I don't think anyone would dispute that, but no different than A-Rod in MLB in my opinion (while Toews is more Jeter with the intangibles + talent). Ovie is a gaudy stat guy that, fair or not, is going to face this scrutiny until he hoists the Cup which all the best in NHL history have done.

Does he have the necessary intangibles and leadership skills that a guy like Toews possesses in willing his teammates to play above themselves? Toews has been a winner, and more importantly, a leader at every level. When a team has one flameout after another after another like the Caps in losing three years in a row, the guy largely considered to be the best in the league -- and obviously his team -- needs to be held accountable...

djeck42

Liked Posts:
it does make me sad to say that if salaries were the same, I would go with Ovy. Toews has the strong defensive side to his game, and strong leadership. He did step it up dramatically in the playoffs last year.

Ovechkin has the physical part to his game that the hawks were lacking; guys would be draped all over toews and it would shut his game down, but Ovy can still produce. He may not have a cup but he still produces in the playoffs, just not those around him as much.

It would be tough as having him and Kane together would lessen each others offensive abilities, so then trade him away for a nice playmaker and perfect. ha