Tom Ricketts: Wants New GM to focus on Farm System and Wants Fleita and Wilken here

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
As long as they can focus on the farm system while spending money like the Chicago Cubs should, that's great.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
As long as they can focus on the farm system while spending money like the Chicago Cubs should, that's great.

Even if they spend like you want if they spend in the wrong areas its no good. Spending a lot next year IMO would be a waste. We wont have the talent to compete just adding Fielder and a few other players. I would wait a few years if I was in charge and wait for some of the players to develop. Our lineup is terrible and so is our pitching staff we have so many holes that it will take years to fix. There is no quick fix to the mess we are in patience is going to be key.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if they spend like you want if they spend in the wrong areas its no good. Spending a lot next year IMO would be a waste. We wont have the talent to compete just adding Fielder and a few other players. I would wait a few years if I was in charge and wait for some of the players to develop. Our lineup is terrible and so is our pitching staff we have so many holes that it will take years to fix. There is no quick fix to the mess we are in patience is going to be key.

I completely understand about being patient BUT i think fans have been more then patient with Cubs. About 104 years worth

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I dont want them just to spend money to spend money but i do think they need to spend money on areas that they dont have in system for sure and players that are younger. Cough **Fielder**

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very interesting things were said today. Ricketts explicit stated that the organization goes with him at the top and Crane Kenny as in charge of the business side and the GM as in charge of the baseball side of things.

The focus is clearly on the farm system and player development. He clearly indicated that Wilken and Fleita are guys that he will recommend staying but the ultimate decision is the new GM (Friedman and Wilken worked together in Tampa, I'm not sure if Friedman would be likely to keep Wilken or if Wilken wouldn't stay if Friedman took over).

Going outside of the organization is a good thing. Saying that the GM has to have a background in the newer analytical side of baseball as well as traditional scouting was great to hear. One thing that is concerning is the way he talked about free agency. He said any large financial decision he has final say over. He used the words strategic and ideal fit for describing what he wants the approach to be in free agency. He said if the player was a fit and the money was reasonable that they would look to do it. Those words seem to indicate the continuing trend of taking money from the payroll and apply it to the farm system will probably continue.

Thats what i got out of it also. Seems like he has a small/medium market mind in a BIG MARKET city. That does scare me a bit. I do understand that build a foundation they need to spend on farm but they also should be top 5 payroll in MLB.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we are going balls out on building up the farm..

It should be Friedman

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
I dont want them just to spend money to spend money but i do think they need to spend money on areas that they dont have in system for sure and players that are younger. Cough **Fielder**

Agreed. Signing someone like Fielder wouldn't just be about trying to spend money for 2012 - it would be about 2013, 2014, and 2015 as well.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Signing someone like Fielder wouldn't just be about trying to spend money for 2012 - it would be about 2013, 2014, and 2015 as well.

I think signing Fielder would be basically bringing in a cornerstone with Castro to build around. I think the new GM will need to make a big splash... and I'm hoping it'll be by signing CJ Wilson... if he can get Wilson AND Fielder... it would be a huge start in moving in the right direction IMO.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Friedman... but it kinda makes me worry about losing Wilken. Didn't he leave TB on bad terms with Friedman?

I really don't want Cashman. He hasn't been much better than Hendry. The only real difference is, he had the cash resources to cover up his mistakes.

Not a fan of Coletti... so I really wouldn't want to see him come here.

Hahn sounds good... but will Ricketts go for a rookie GM... and... will the White Sox just conveniently let him know that he might be GM in the next year or two if Kenny doesn't get back on the right track?

Other than that, I'm not exactly sure who's out there that would be available or interested.