Tomorrow's Headline - Shocking News: The Bears cut ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have to trim their roster to 53 players tomorrow. What big names do you expect to see go? In terms of who you think they will keep and release, what do you think will be the biggest surprises?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hopefully Wolfe.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully Wolfe.

Wolfe is high on my list, but with Chester Taylor doing so well, I think that reduces Khalid Bell's value to the team (as a third running back). The Bears may decide they need Wolfe's special teams skills more than they need Bell's superior running ability, since he will hardly ever see the field, although they could keep him as insurance in case Forte or Taylor get hurt.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see them Keep Wolfe and cut Bell, and that would be a shocker!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I see Wolfe and Shaw being cut.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Wolfe and Shaw being cut.

Shaw is another one I can see getting the ax, and that would be shocking because he led the Bears in special teams, kick return tackles last year, even though he didn't play the first 2 games! But with all the linebacker injuries, Iwuh has stepped in and did very well at linebacker, and he's supposed to be almost as good as Shaw on special teams, so I think he (Shaw) gets cut.

Is he worth a spot on the practice squad, or doesn't he do enough to hang on to him?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Wow, just saw we cut Afalava/Malest/Tim Shaw.

Isn't Tim Shaw really damn good on special teams?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Shaw got the axe officially. He isn't PS eligible. I think Iwuh may be better as a blocker than Shaw as well anyway.

I think Bell could be a cut player. Hopefully he'd pass waivers if they do because he is practice squad eligable if they have an injury but better than Wolfe or not, it isn't an issue with two healthy backs who could both start. The 3rd back is gonna get in lucky games 3 snaps...

what matters more? Having a back with a more umph who doesn't differ from your first 2 backs anyway and will do nothing the rest of the game or a player who may give you nothing but a possible screen on those 3 plays but contributes effectively on most phases of special teams.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I knew Afalava was vastly overrated last season by the Bears...not surprised to see him fall so quickly this year.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Afalava is good in the box being physical. That's about it. Bad in coverage, out of play, doesn't wrap up enough and his special teams skills were bad.. I believe the first blocked punt of the preseason he was in that blocker role Steltz normally plays and let the man scoot free.

Yet people saying he was a bad/wasted pick or a bad example of JA talent finding are overblowing it big time. He was a 6th round pick who was capable to start and do something for the team effectively as a rookie. It's rare for a 6th round pick to play 13 games or contribute much anything to a team at all.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Afalava is good in the box being physical. That's about it. Bad in coverage, out of play, doesn't wrap up enough and his special teams skills were bad.. I believe the first blocked punt of the preseason he was in that blocker role Steltz normally plays and let the man scoot free.

Yet people saying he was a bad/wasted pick or a bad example of JA talent finding are overblowing it big time. He was a 6th round pick who was capable to start and do something for the team effectively as a rookie. It's rare for a 6th round pick to play 13 games or contribute much anything to a team at all.

Well, I for one, am not saying he was a wasted pick. To me he's a guy who was pushed into the starting lineup for only Lovie knows why and should have never been there. It would have been better for him to play special teams and develop possibly from the bench and let him show what he could do this year in training camp instead of putting him in the starting role last year when in my opinion he didnt belong.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well, I for one, am not saying he was a wasted pick. To me he's a guy who was pushed into the starting lineup for only Lovie knows why and should have never been there. It would have been better for him to play special teams and develop possibly from the bench and let him show what he could do this year in training camp instead of putting him in the starting role last year when in my opinion he didnt belong.

Yes, I see you didn't say that but many others have been.

I've been saying the same thing about Major Wright when so many want him shoved into to starting lineup right away yet Safety is one of the hardest positions to learn and develop from out of college, probably the toughest on defense especially mentally and they have the trend of shoving 1st year playing Safeties as starters only to faulter on their ability the next year because of some flaws, Harris, Manning, Payne, and Afalava all have been victims of it.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
I just don't understand why everyone wants Wolfe to be cut?? Do you guys just not pay attention to kick and punt coverage?

Peterson and Shaw are gone, Wolfe is invaluable IMO.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yes, I see you didn't say that but many others have been.

I've been saying the same thing about Major Wright when so many want him shoved into to starting lineup right away yet Safety is one of the hardest positions to learn and develop from out of college, probably the toughest on defense especially mentally and they have the trend of shoving 1st year playing Safeties as starters only to faulter on their ability the next year because of some flaws, Harris, Manning, Payne, and Afalava all have been victims of it.

If he comes in off the bench as relief and shows his ability there. He could start some games by the end of the year, but I just dont feel we should rush him in there.

If Wright were a 1st or 2nd round pick, I would actually expect him to start. Mike Brown started all 16 games his rookie year, but he was a 2nd round pick.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I only saw that Shaw was waived, not AL. They need has many S as possible, there injury prone. Also, Shaw being release was the dumbest move. I had a list of my 53, who I thought will make theb team and Shaw-Al made it.

Also, I think Wolfe should make it because of ST and Bell is not good at ST. Bell won't even play as it is.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both Shaw and Iwuh are ST stars, and they must've thought that Iwuh was more valuable as Briggs's backup. I still think cutting Shaw was a bad move and they will pay for it.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
He played 15 games last year and had 30 tackles. That was a franchise record and I agree USC, they will pay for it.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I was never a fan of Afalava. Idk why people gave him hype last season. he couldn't tackle or cover.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I was never a fan of Afalava. Idk why people gave him hype last season. he couldn't tackle or cover.

I like(ed) AL, I thought he did good. I think he's better than Steltz from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.