Top Breakout Candidates

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Who are the guys you are looking at to have a breakout season, i.e. take their game to another level. For example I would consider last year's breakout players to be Akiem Hicks, Jordan Howard, Cameron Meridith, Cody Whitehair, and Jerrell Freeman (though he was mostly already proven). Here is my list of 5 potential breakout candidates for this season.

1. Kyle Fuller - As long as he stays healthy, I believe Fuller will step up in a contract year and cement himself as a #2 starting CB. As seen last year in the amount of yards allowed in our passing Defense, despite having to field UDFA, Fangio and Donatell find a way to get the most out of the talent they have. I think they identify Kyle's strengths (tackling, playing in front of his man, instincts) and put him in a position to succeed.

2. Tarik Cohen - I see Tarik excelling from the belief that he possesses a unique skill-set to make plays in the open field. I think he will be a nice compliment to Howard and will always pose a threat catching from the backfield. Not only that, but Cohen is sure to get plenty of opportunities when Mike Check-Down-King Glennon is starting at QB.

3. Adam Shaheen - this one is too easy of a pick to pass up. We have a huge need for new receiving targets entering this year and Shaheen has, supposedly, reliable hands and is match-up nightmare with his size. I'm sure he will gain the trust of his QB as the season progresses and could very well be a safety net when the pressure is on.

4. Jonathan Bullard - I think Bullard will show vast improvement this year. His college tape was phenomenal and he has the athletic ability to perform. I'm hoping with now having game experience and an off-season to study film the game will slow down and the results will be evident. Most pass rushers don't perform well as rookies anyways, it usually takes these guys their second or third year before they begin to blossom.

5. I would love to put a WR here, but I truly have no idea who will emerge from the group we have at the moment. I would love for it to be Kevin White, but he has alot of physical and psychological barriers to cross. Its amazing that even after signing Kendall Wright, Victor Cruz, Markus Wheaton, and Rueben Randle that Tanner Gentry is making the most noise...who knows. Just need one of these guys to have a great year (800+ yards)

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adam Shaheen imo will end up having an above average rookie season for a tight end. This prediction is predicated on the hunch he will get a decent amount of playing time.

Cohen simply has lucked into the role of backup RB imo. Its been the combination of him showing out well during camp flashing that speed, elusiveness and athleticism catching the ball out of the backfield along with Jeremy Langford being a part of the walking dead that will seemingly land him the 2RB spot. Seemed pretty telling to me when they were running Cohen with the second team when camp started. They're giving him the opportunity apparently to take the job.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Danny T. It'd be nice to see him justify that contract. He's played well surrounded by stars in Denver so it's put up or shut up time.

2. Eddie G.-Time to put the nagging injuries behind him. Vince Wilfork v2.0

3. Shaheen for all the reasons we all talk about.

4. Mike Glennon. Don't get me wrong. Trubs is my boi, but I expect Glennon to exceed expectations. We are finally out of QB hell.

5. Fangio. D slipped last year but he rights the ship this year.

Hard core Analysis I know.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Eddie Jackson - Dude is a ballhawk and has great instincts. When he is 100% healthy (even though he says he is now, he's probably still getting comfortable on his leg) he will be starting next to Demps over Amos.

Floyd - He was solid last year, but really looking forward to him taking the next step and becoming a guy the other team has to game plan for. I hope he lives in the back field.

Leno - I think he has another solid season and earns a contract. He gets to much flack for not being a 1st round pick.

One of the WR's - Wheaton/Wright are going to have a good season. Meredith has a solid season and one of these two emerge as our WR2. I have little faith in White. Both Wheaton and Wright have the talent.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Who are the guys you are looking at to have a breakout season, i.e. take their game to another level. For example I would consider last year's breakout players to be Akiem Hicks, Jordan Howard, Cameron Meridith, Cody Whitehair, and Jerrell Freeman (though he was mostly already proven). Here is my list of 5 potential breakout candidates for this season.

1. Kyle Fuller - As long as he stays healthy, I believe Fuller will step up in a contract year and cement himself as a #2 starting CB. As seen last year in the amount of yards allowed in our passing Defense, despite having to field UDFA, Fangio and Donatell find a way to get the most out of the talent they have. I think they identify Kyle's strengths (tackling, playing in front of his man, instincts) and put him in a position to succeed.

2. Tarik Cohen - I see Tarik excelling from the belief that he possesses a unique skill-set to make plays in the open field. I think he will be a nice compliment to Howard and will always pose a threat catching from the backfield. Not only that, but Cohen is sure to get plenty of opportunities when Mike Check-Down-King Glennon is starting at QB.

3. Adam Shaheen - this one is too easy of a pick to pass up. We have a huge need for new receiving targets entering this year and Shaheen has, supposedly, reliable hands and is match-up nightmare with his size. I'm sure he will gain the trust of his QB as the season progresses and could very well be a safety net when the pressure is on.

4. Jonathan Bullard - I think Bullard will show vast improvement this year. His college tape was phenomenal and he has the athletic ability to perform. I'm hoping with now having game experience and an off-season to study film the game will slow down and the results will be evident. Most pass rushers don't perform well as rookies anyways, it usually takes these guys their second or third year before they begin to blossom.

5. I would love to put a WR here, but I truly have no idea who will emerge from the group we have at the moment. I would love for it to be Kevin White, but he has alot of physical and psychological barriers to cross. Its amazing that even after signing Kendall Wright, Victor Cruz, Markus Wheaton, and Rueben Randle that Tanner Gentry is making the most noise...who knows. Just need one of these guys to have a great year (800+ yards)

I would love to see all of the guys you mentioned breakout but i'm wondering if Fuller will have that chance to breakout if he's the 3rd CB or even if he ends up the starting NB. Do you think he has a chance to take one of the starting CB spots from Amukamara or M.Cooper?

A.Shaheen--this kid really does have a chance of being a beast at TE for us. Still not sure if Z.Miller will make the team or not but if he does he's gonna get a good amount of playing time cause the guy is a hell of a pass catcher and D.Simms will get some red zone looks so not sure if Shaheen will get enough game time to breakout but if he does, he'll be fun to watch.

E.Jackson--This is the kid i'm rooting for to win the FS job and if he does and stays healthy i think he can have a really good season playing opposite Q.Demps.

L.Floyd--he's gonna absolutely beast this year.

V.Cruz--I've been trying to think out of the 3 new WR's we signed that which of the 3 will have some big games for us and i think if given the chance and good health that V.Cruz could be big for us. I was gonna say K.Wright because of the D.Loggains connection and can really see any of the 3 having a good season but Cruz was great for the Giants before the injuries. C.Meredith will be the dependable go to guy for Glennon and i, just like you, am hoping it's K.White that breaks out and think he can but i'm gonna go with V.Cruz breaking out.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Adam Shaheen imo will end up having an above average rookie season for a tight end. This prediction is predicated on the hunch he will get a decent amount of playing time.

Cohen simply has lucked into the role of backup RB imo. Its been the combination of him showing out well during camp flashing that speed, elusiveness and athleticism catching the ball out of the backfield along with Jeremy Langford being a part of the walking dead that will seemingly land him the 2RB spot. Seemed pretty telling to me when they were running Cohen with the second team when camp started. They're giving him the opportunity apparently to take the job.

As for Cohen, I wouldn't call it luck. I think it has more to do with Pace drafting a players that had a different skillset from the other runningbacks we already had. Langford and Carey are very similar players and are mediocre runners. Jordan Howard does what those guys do and does it far better. I think Cohen is sticking out because he is a completely different and brings something else to the table. Maybe Cohen was fortunate to be in Chicago, but I wouldn't call it luck. Pace knew what he was doing and made a move that most add another wrinkle to the offense.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
V.Cruz--I've been trying to think out of the 3 new WR's we signed that which of the 3 will have some big games for us and i think if given the chance and good health that V.Cruz could be big for us. I was gonna say K.Wright because of the D.Loggains connection and can really see any of the 3 having a good season but Cruz was great for the Giants before the injuries. C.Meredith will be the dependable go to guy for Glennon and i, just like you, am hoping it's K.White that breaks out and think he can but i'm gonna go with V.Cruz breaking out.

The thing about Cruz is that, to me, he ceiling is low. The Giants wouldn't just cut a fan favorite like Cruz unless they felt strongly that his best days were behind him. I think he could prove to be a good depth wide receiver, but if he is starting I imagine it would because of either injuries or poor performance from the other receivers we signed.

I'm not sure what to think about having alot of mediocre receivers. Maybe in the end it wouldn't be a bad thing if the receivers spread the targets. Possibly, while we may not have a great #2, we could have one of the better 3rd/4th receiving options.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Don't sleep on Deoindre Hall....I'm not sure if he'll be an opening day starter, but he's got some ball skills and is a sound tackler. Good range and good instincts. If there's an injury or if he ends up starting the season, I think he can be an asset in the secondary.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I think Shaheen is going to be really good. I'd bet on him as the rookie in this class that has the breakout season. Might have another Jordan Howard on our hands at the TE position. I'm excited to see what he's got.

Also, Glennon is a shitty deep ball thrower, which means there is going to be plenty of opportunities to catch alot of intermediate and short passes all year. Could help his numbers.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think Shaheen is going to be really good. I'd bet on him as the rookie in this class that has the breakout season. Might have another Jordan Howard on our hands at the TE position. I'm excited to see what he's got.

Also, Glennon is a shitty deep ball thrower, which means there is going to be plenty of opportunities to catch alot of intermediate and short passes all year. Could help his numbers.

The TEs, Cohen, Meredith, and potentially (hopefully) White, are going to be Glennon's best friend. And of course Howard and the run game. The Bears should be able to run the ball and keep the chains moving underneath, the potential is there to go deep on play action over the course of the game. But it will have to be calculated and well timed and well executed.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yep, Mr. Dump-off qb should certainly utilize all his tight ends this season along with his running backs.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Apparently Cruz is showing very well in camp and had a big touchdown at the FF practice. If he is fully recovered I would not be opposed to him as the full-time slot. I think his leaving NY had much more to do with money than ability.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last season in particular it was the case. They avoided giving Cruz enough playing time to trigger his contract escalators. Seems like a pretty douche move by the Giants but clearly if they were willing to dump him they didn't give a shit anymore. The guy has something left in the tank. I thought it was pretty ridiculous when so many Bears fans wrote him off when he was signed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The thing about Cruz is that, to me, he ceiling is low. The Giants wouldn't just cut a fan favorite like Cruz unless they felt strongly that his best days were behind him. I think he could prove to be a good depth wide receiver, but if he is starting I imagine it would because of either injuries or poor performance from the other receivers we signed.

I'm not sure what to think about having alot of mediocre receivers. Maybe in the end it wouldn't be a bad thing if the receivers spread the targets. Possibly, while we may not have a great #2, we could have one of the better 3rd/4th receiving options.

The good thing about having all 3 of V.Cruz, K.Wright and M.Wheaton is all 3 have proven they can play in the NFL with each one putting up at least one really good season so we know they can do it so if we could just get 2 out of those 3 and K.White to step up with Meredith being the solid go to guy and with the strength we will have at TE we should be good.

C.Meredith
K.White
V.Cruz
K.Wright
M.Wheaton
Z.Miller
A.Shaheen
D.Simms

I really think we could find 5 go to guys out of that bunch and if so then we should be fine at receiver...just need our QB to be solid.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don't sleep on Deoindre Hall....I'm not sure if he'll be an opening day starter, but he's got some ball skills and is a sound tackler. Good range and good instincts. If there's an injury or if he ends up starting the season, I think he can be an asset in the secondary.

He's one of the many guys i'll have my eye on in preseason. We have a lot of young players on this team that could have good seasons so hopefully our staff will find the right ones to put a solid starting unit on both sides of the ball on the field. With the young guys we have now and say two more off seasons of free agency and the draft we have a great chance of being a really good team. Of course it mostly comes down to Trubs being what we hope he'll be but if he does.....IT'S ON.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
C.Meredith
K.White
V.Cruz
K.Wright
M.Wheaton
Z.Miller
A.Shaheen
D.Simms

I really think we could find 5 go to guys out of that bunch and if so then we should be fine at receiver...just need our QB to be solid.
Little heavy on the meatball here. 5 go to guys? Isn't a go to guy by nature singular? How can a guy be a go to guy if the QB has 4 other guys he goes to in go to guy situations? Those are just guys.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So basically an error in semantics is why you call him a meatball. Ugh. K.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Kendall "just get open" Wright Mr. 1000

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has Cruz really been showing that well in camp?

On topic - I like the thought of Cohen and Shaheen having an impact, but Fox is just an oddball with rookies.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My hope for the season is that Pace's picks fill most of these breakout roles. I'm confident in the first two projections. Sprinkle in a little wishful thinking on the next couple and an educated guess on the last...

1). Leonard Floyd - All indications point to double digit sacks in season 2. Floyd (supposedly) added 15 pounds of muscle and more importantly has been available throughout the offseason. I think we see the front 7 gel this year and Floyd will get a lot of productive snaps as Fangio begins to maximize his talent. He will be the primary pass rush threat with Young and Houston complimenting his rush on the opposite side.

2). Adam Shaheen - The kid looks legit and he's going to get consistent looks in the red zone. I think Shaheen breaks out big as a rookie because his hands are exceptional and his route running seems to be a plus already. Add to that Glennon's lack of deep ball accuracy and the focus on the run game with 2 TE sets. His learning curve with blocking seems to be good which means he'll see the field a lot.

3). Eddie Jackson - I'll remain skeptical until we see him tackle in the preseason but his return ability and ball skills (plus a thin roster at FS) bode well for Jackson contributing as a rookie. And boy could we use some young homegrown talent carving out a role at S.

4). Tarik Cohen - He has that wildcard factor (hands, speed, elusiveness) out of the backfield that even in limited reps could pay dividends for us on offense. We'll pound the rock with Howard. Our WR corps will be better Glennon won't offer the deep game to stretch the field. I think we'll have a decent short / intermediate passing game with the TEs creating match up issues. The big question is Cohen's blocking (esp for a little back). If he's out there on 3rd down, I think Cohen can be a curve ball that gives defenses fits.

5). Dion Sims - Shaheen won't be the only breakout at a position that is deep (how odd to say that about the Bears!). We don't have a WR1 so I think the ball is going to be distributed widely. If Miller stays healthy, expect 3 productive players at TE and match up issues galore for opponents. Early comparisons of Sims are to Dez Clark which sounds good to me. If he's anywhere near Clark in catches and yards, Sims easily outproduces his numbers at MIA.